Roku won't connect over Ethernet

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku won't connect over Ethernet

Postby prairiedawg » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:37 pm

I connected my Roku through the ethernet cord to my router. When I try to connect it will be able to connect to my local network but then it can't connect to the internet. I moved the cord directly from my Roku to my laptop and the internet worked just fine. How the <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> am I supposed to fix this?

Edit: Apparently the problem was because I had a static dns and ip. Took those off and it worked fine.
prairiedawg

Re: Roku won't connect over Ethernet

Postby ssaddler » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:29 pm

I am having same problem. I like to set router to block any device where MAC is not known (setup in router in advance). Are you saying I would have to relax this security requirement to get wired Roku 2 XS to connect over ethernet?
ssaddler

Postby MazeWizzard » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:56 pm

Looks the like OP solved his problem.

As far as using only known MAC addresses goes, I do that too. So I plugged in the Roku, checked the router's log for "mac address <blah blah> denied" and authorized that mac address. Roku works fine. I think the mac address can also be found in the settings area (varies by model as to how it reads to find the network info...dig a bit).
MazeWizzard

Postby kc8pql » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:21 pm

MazeWizzard wrote:I think the mac address can also be found in the settings area (varies by model as to how it reads to find the network info...dig a bit).

The mac address is also on the label on the bottom of the box.
OTA Antenna
"Netflix Player" N1000X
XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X
Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby vandergraff » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:33 pm

ssaddler wrote:I am having same problem. I like to set router to block any device where MAC is not known (setup in router in advance). Are you saying I would have to relax this security requirement to get wired Roku 2 XS to connect over ethernet?

No you shouldn't - MAC filtering should only apply to wireless connections - and yes here with a wireless connection you (obviously) have to add the ROKU MAC address......

This is easy as described in the posts above.
vandergraff

Postby sellout59 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:45 pm

Okay i need some help with a similar issue.

I got a Roku 2 XS for christmas. I tried to set it up to a wired connection (same ethernet cord I usually have my Xbox plugged in to). It could not connect to my local area network. My router is from Comcast with a model number of smcd3gnv. I called tech support and after an hour of resetting my modem also trying the wireless connection as well, they said they would mail me out a replacement in case it was defective. I felt like I was missing something so i tried it at a friends house, with "WOW! cable, and i got it to work via ethernet cable immediately. This led me to try to call my internet provider and ask them if they had any ideas. The woman I spoke to informed me that Roku is currently not supported via their modems, but if an update happened it would be posted on their homepage. I tried to confirm this fact with Roku when i called again, but they said there is no link between the two.

So, can someone tell me, is it possible that Comcast's modems are stopping me from using my Roku, and if so if there is a way to fix this/ will comcast fix this?

Let me know if i need to clarify anything, im sure i do.
sellout59

Postby ssaddler » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:25 am

I believe I solved my issue by connecting the Roku to a 10/100mbs port on my router instead of a gigabit port on a hub connected to the router. My situation suggests to me that the ethernet adapter on the Roku 2 XS may not be fully compatible with certain gigabit hubs (Trendnet TEG-S80g).
ssaddler

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion