Roku + Netflix in Mexico

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku + Netflix in Mexico

Postby evelio » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi,
Now that Netflix is fully available in Mexico, should the Roku work properly with Netflix in Mexico? I'm trying to set up my dad with a Roku I brought from the US but it doesn't work. I can log in but all I get is boxes filled with Questions Marks. I got my dad a Netflix account here in Mexico and it works perfectly well on the computer.
Anything I'm doing wrong?
Thanks,
Evelio
evelio

Re: Roku + Netflix in Mexico

Postby kc8pql » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:51 pm

No. At this time Netflix on Roku only works with US IP addresses. I'd expect this to change sooner or later, but It may be a while. It will require different firmware and channel software for the different countries I think.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby evelio » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Weird. Does the roku go through a special netflix server that doesn't work? I mean I can go to netflix.com and watch movies on the computer so obviously Netflix doesn't prohibit watching movies from Mexico. Just curious. Looks like I'm gonna go get a WD Live TV and see if it works.
Thanks,
Evelio
evelio

Postby stratcat96 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:21 pm

Netflix doesn't work on any set top box in Mexico yet as far as I know. That is by their design. License to allow streaming to a computer screen is different than to a TV screen
stratcat96

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:25 pm

The computer and the Roku use different streams. Also I think I read that NetFlix is now streaming in Mexico, But, even if that is the case, the rights to stream to a set top box that connects to a TV is different than the rights to stream through a computer. And, yes, each device must authenticate itself and the ip is checked so Netflix knows where the ip is that is asking for a stream.
Gilgamesh

Postby Bajaxtreme » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:53 am

I did the same for my dad and didnt work.I can sign in to netflix account from Mexico and after that just get stuck on "retrieving screen". I have to go back to Best Buy to return it. Netflix is working fine streaming the video thru my Wii or pc from Baja,Mexico...Just get a wii and should be fine and get ROKU later.
Bajaxtreme

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Bajaxtreme wrote:I did the same for my dad and didnt work.I can sign in to netflix account from Mexico and after that just get stuck on "retrieving screen". I have to go back to Best Buy to return it. Netflix is working fine streaming the video thru my Wii or pc from Baja,Mexico...Just get a wii and should be fine and get ROKU later.

As I said many times before Roku and other devices use different streams so comparisons with computers or other devices is without merit. Also NetFlix, currently, does not allow streaming via a set top box in countries outside the USA.
Gilgamesh

Postby testerdennis » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:24 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
Bajaxtreme wrote:I did the same for my dad and didnt work.I can sign in to netflix account from Mexico and after that just get stuck on "retrieving screen". I have to go back to Best Buy to return it. Netflix is working fine streaming the video thru my Wii or pc from Baja,Mexico...Just get a wii and should be fine and get ROKU later.

As I said many times before Roku and other devices use different streams so comparisons with computers or other devices is without merit. Also NetFlix, currently, does not allow streaming via a set top box in countries outside the USA.

Wrong Netflix works in Canada on Apple TV2.
testerdennis

Postby __5 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:43 pm

testerdennis wrote:... Netflix works in Canada on Apple TV2.

& Mexico!
__5

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:18 pm

If Netflix is working outside the USA on the Apple TV then it must be somehow spoofing to look like a computer rather than a set top box as the TOS for the Apple TV says: "Stream from the huge Netflix catalog of movies and TV shows (available to Netflix subscribers in the U.S.)."

That also means that it could get turned off, like the Boxee box has been for other sites, at any time.

Just because something happens to get around restrictions that the providers have in place does not make it either right or legal.
Gilgamesh

Postby __5 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:26 pm

Netflix in Mexico added official support to ATV2 w/firmware version 4.4.3 (Nov. 2011)

For Mexico here….. (not affordable)
For Canada here..
__5

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:23 pm

I think we are getting lost in semantics and have lost the point

1- Roku only supports Netflix USA. That is all so no matter what else works or why the Roku won't.
2- you need to go to you Netflix account and get a list of supported devices. Typically the game consoles are first followed by devices sold legally in that country. If it's not on the list don't chance it no matter what the box says as it is most likely labeled for the wrong country.
3- the Roku is technically only for sale and use in the US, so see point 2. Support for other Netflix channels is therefore unlikely at best.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby West Ham » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:36 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:I think we are getting lost in semantics and have lost the point

3- the Roku is technically only for sale and use in the US,

The Roku is sold in Canada. Netflix and Amazon do not work but a lot of other channels do

http://www.roku.com/remax-canada
West Ham

Postby mikebdoss » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:46 pm

West Ham wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:I think we are getting lost in semantics and have lost the point

The Roku is sold in Canada. Netflix and Amazon do not work but a lot of other channels do

Do you know what Remax is?
mikebdoss

Postby West Ham » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:58 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
West Ham wrote:

Do you know what Remax is?

I do but what does that have to do with anything? Like I said, many other channels work and that is why Roku is sold in Canada.
West Ham

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion