Remote OK but Roku won't respond

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Remote OK but Roku won't respond

Postby IndyDave » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:17 pm

My Roku XDS won't respond to my remote controls; neither the Roku remote or my Logitech / Harmony remote.

I confirmed that both are fully charged and emit a strong IR beam (verified easily with a digital camera). The Logitech controls all my other devices just as well as it always has. Nothing with the TV or surroundings have changed.

I have done a reset and verified that my firmware is up to date, etc.

I can control my Roku perfectly with the "Remoku" app (http://apps4tv.com/remoku) via my computer, so I know it's not frozen or bricked. Streaming video, internet radio - all works great, as long as I navigate with Remoku. (by the way, that app makes filling out the search boxes a breeze!)

Is it a bad IR sensor in the Roku? :?

Anyone put their Roku under the knife? I'm pretty handy with fixing things but would be looking at the Roku guts for the first time.

All thoughts welcomed! :mrgreen:
IndyDave

Re: Remote OK but Roku won't respond

Postby __5 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:27 pm

IndyDave wrote:My Roku XDS won't respond to my remote controls; neither the Roku remote or my Logitech / Harmony remote.

I confirmed that both are fully charged and emit a strong IR beam (verified easily with a digital camera). The Logitech controls all my other devices just as well as it always has. Nothing with the TV or surroundings have changed.

I have done a reset and verified that my firmware is up to date, etc.

I can control my Roku perfectly with the "Remoku" app (http://apps4tv.com/remoku) via my computer, so I know it's not frozen or bricked. Streaming video, internet radio - all works great, as long as I navigate with Remoku. (by the way, that app makes filling out the search boxes a breeze!)

Is it a bad IR sensor in the Roku? :?

Anyone put their Roku under the knife? I'm pretty handy with fixing things but would be looking at the Roku guts for the first time.

All thoughts welcomed! :mrgreen:

try this ---> viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43859&p=297571&hilit=ir+interference+diskette#p297571

Good Luck!
__5
** Valued Community Member **

Postby IndyDave » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:22 pm

Didn't help, but thanks.

Any other ideas?

IndyDave

Postby __5 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:56 pm

To eliminate IR interference as the issue,

Try this,

- Place a paper towel tub between Roku’s IR receiver and the remote & try it.
- Turn off TV (LCD) backlight from TV video menu & try it.
- Move Roku around.
- Turn Off lights.

Also, make sure Roku is not in debugging mode.
__5
** Valued Community Member **

Postby IndyDave » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:51 am

I tried the tube, a blanket and my hands. No dice.

My TV doesn't have backlight of any kind but turned the TV off completely and pressed the "home" button and the Roku didn't respond.

All lights off.

I have been changing the position of the Roku but that hasn't helped.

Honestly, nothing in the entire living room has changed other than the Roku not responding to either remote. It's frustrating.

I'm not sure what debugging mode is, but streaming radio works fine, Netflix works fine, Vimeo works fine. Everything I have tried works fine, just not with the remote. That Remoku app allows me to control my Roku flawlessly.

This weekend I am going to open up the Roku and at least familiarize myself with the electronics. It seems like it has to be the IR receiver.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-Cheers

roku5 wrote:To eliminate IR interference as the issue,

Try this,

- Place a paper towel tub between Roku’s IR receiver and the remote & try it.
- Turn off TV (LCD) backlight from TV video menu & try it.
- Move Roku around.
- Turn Off lights.

Also, make sure Roku is not in debugging mode.
IndyDave

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion