"Can't connect to your local network"

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

"Can't connect to your local network"

Postby go1988 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:01 pm

I got a new Roku 2 XD for Christmas this year, and when I went to set it up last night, it found my wireless signal, but is unable to connect "to your local network." I've checked that my password is correct, that MAC authentication is disabled, and that the wireless is working (my wii, laptop, and ipod can all connect). Has anyone encountered this problem before? Do you have any suggestions? I don't think it's something wrong with the device itself, but I'm starting to wonder...
Thanks in advance for your help!
go1988

Re: "Can't connect to your local network"

Postby sellout59 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:34 pm

If you figure this out pleeeeease let me know. I got a Roku XS for christmas and have the same issue, both wirelessly and via ethernet. I have a comcast SMC modem and tech help on Roku's side has been no help, and comcast wanted to charge me about $200 to come look at it to see if they could set it up.
sellout59

Postby navysob » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:37 pm

Yeah... I am having almost the same issue.

I setup everything, it finds the network and even updates the software. Then it reboots... then nothing works. I have re-setup this box 4 times now. Roku customer support tells me it is a wireless router problem... REALLY??? It is not finding ANY networks.
navysob

Postby navysob » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:38 pm

sellout59 wrote:If you figure this out pleeeeease let me know. I got a Roku XS for christmas and have the same issue, both wirelessly and via ethernet. I have a comcast SMC modem and tech help on Roku's side has been no help, and comcast wanted to charge me about $200 to come look at it to see if they could set it up.

I have the advanced tech's calling within 24 hours... (not holding my breate). I will post with what they find out.
navysob

Postby RickRansom » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:41 pm

To the OP, it would help if you posted the brand and model number of your router so we can try to look into in.
To navysob, not sure if this is going to help but, do you just have a modem and no router?
If so, you may need to reboot/reset the modem so it will accept the roku. Most cable modems only allow 1 device to go online wired to it. I wouldn't suggest you reset the modem from your end, instead have Comcast reboot/reset your modem so it will accept the roku. Other than that, I'd suggest you purchase a router(wireless). :)
Retired
RickRansom

Postby navysob » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:50 pm

RickRansom wrote:To the OP, it would help if you posted the brand and model number of your router so we can try to look into in.
To navysob, not sure if this is going to help but, do you just have a modem and no router?
If so, you may need to reboot/reset the modem so it will accept the roku. Most cable modems only allow 1 device to go online wired to it. I wouldn't suggest you reset the modem from your end, instead have Comcast reboot/reset your modem so it will accept the roku. Other than that, I'd suggest you purchase a router(wireless). :)

I have Cox internet service. I have a d-link router. When I first installed the Roku it found 10 wireless networks in my area... i chose mine and enterend my password. I got all three green lights. It connected to the serves and found an upgrade. It installed the upgrade fine and restarted. After that, it can not find any netmorks in my area... and some how it is my routers fault. Still cant figure that one out.
navysob

Postby go1988 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:25 pm

RickRansom wrote:To the OP, it would help if you posted the brand and model number of your router so we can try to look into in.

I have an Actiontec router, model GT724WGR (on the other side it's simply listed as GT724-WG). The advanced tech from Roku is supposed to be calling anytime now, but I have yet to hear from them. Thanks for your help!
go1988

Postby go1988 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:16 pm

sellout59 wrote:If you figure this out pleeeeease let me know. I got a Roku XS for christmas and have the same issue, both wirelessly and via ethernet. I have a comcast SMC modem and tech help on Roku's side has been no help, and comcast wanted to charge me about $200 to come look at it to see if they could set it up.

I FINALLY got it to work. I had to switch my wireless router encoding to just "WPA" instead of "WPA-PSK" or "WPA & WPA2". Supposedly once the Roku updates I can switch it back, but (surprise!) that hasn't worked yet. But for now as long as I keep it on WPA I can connect to the internet. Does anyone know what the difference between WPA and WPA-PSK is?
go1988

Postby bennor3814 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:20 am

WPA isn't as secure as WPA2. A brief explanation of WPA-PSK can be found here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11274
WPA-PSK is basically an authentication mechanism in which users provide some form of credentials to verify that they should be allowed access to a network. This requires a single password entered into each WLAN node (Access Points, Wireless Routers, client adapters, bridges). As long as the passwords match, a client will be granted access to a WLAN.

Encryption mechanisms used for WPA and WPA-PSK are the same. The only difference between the two is in WPA-PSK, authentication is reduced to a simple common password, instead of user-specific credentials.

One other item to check if your having trouble getting a wireless device to connect to a router that is configured with WPA or WPA2 is to ensure the WPA Algorithms is set to "TKIP+AES". I have one wireless device which will not connect to my wireless router unless I use the "TKIP+AES" under the WPA Algorithms setting.

Oh and make sure your router's SSID Name isn't set to the default since others in your area may have theirs left to the default SSID name and you may be inadvertently connecting to their wireless network and not your own.
bennor3814

Postby navysob » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:24 am

Well... after reading another conversation... i tried a few different things... and got it to work. I turned off the clock within the Rokyu setup. Now I am online. Interesting...
navysob

Postby amers53 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:10 pm

Unbelievable! I'm so relieved that I'm not alone in my frustration with this message. Not that I'm happy that you're feeling it, but geez, this is nuts. I too am anxiously awaiting assistance from Support, which by-the-way was right on top of my plea for help within 24 hours.

The only thing I haven't done is use the straightened paper clip trick to reset the little bugger. Oh yes, and I have Charter cable, wireless connects using WEP, Roku2 XD, and Netgear router. The only other thing is that I can't find anywhere in the Netgear configs to disable the MAC. I'm a bit hesitant to update the router drivers because I run my work and personal computer through it and can't risk being down.

I think that covers it.
amers53

Postby RickRansom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:48 pm

amers53 wrote:wireless connects using WEP

I didn't know somebody still uses WEP. It's not really buggy, but I suggest you upgrade to either WPA or WPA2 - unless of course you have devices that can only go online when using WEP. WEP makes you use passwords that are 10 or 26 hex digits/characters so it's not that friendly. If it's not a password issue, try changing the wireless channel on your router page to 1,6, or 11.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby robertm » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:40 pm

RickRansom wrote:

I didn't know somebody still uses WEP. It's not really buggy, but I suggest you upgrade to either WPA or WPA2 - unless of course you have devices that can only go online when using WEP. WEP makes you use passwords that are 10 or 26 hex digits/characters so it's not that friendly. If it's not a password issue, try changing the wireless channel on your router page to 1,6, or 11.

I still use it. I have that code memorized and then some. Besides I really don't have to have security at all. No one lives close enough to me to use one of my WAPs.
robertm

Postby kandel » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:36 am

[list=]Hi Im amazed at how many people are having the same issues... I just got my Roku 2 HD and since noone remembers the password to our existing router I decided to use my macbook as a wifi router. My macbook is connected through ethernet and roku is picking up the signals. So far I've gotten as far as being connected to the wireless but now I cant get past the local network. What am I doing wrong.

*update ok I managed to find the password for my wireless router and now Im connected and waiting for software to be updated.
kandel

Postby RickRansom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:38 pm

robertm wrote:
RickRansom wrote:

I still use it. I have that code memorized and then some. Besides I really don't have to have security at all. No one lives close enough to me to use one of my WAPs.

Wow. If you set it to 128-bit and you memorize the password then hats off to you sir. There really isn't any problem with WEP. The thing is that I wanna take advantage of my router so I set it to WPA2 only with AES only encryption. I once had a laptop with an Atheros AR507 adapter and it would not connect with the network unless it was running on WEP until I updated the drivers.
Retired
RickRansom

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion