Connecting Roku to HDMI

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Connecting Roku to HDMI

Postby Bekka » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:46 pm

I just bought a Roku 2 XD today. Basically, all I want to do is stream netflix to my smaller bedroom TV wirelessly from my home network router, since I already have a built in DVD.
The TV I have is a Toshiba 19LV505 LCD HDTV/DVD Combo. The bottom screen shows - HDMI, Dolby Digital, Compact Disc-digital audio, dts-digital out, and Divx logo capabilities. The information for this particular TV is at this link http://www.retrevo.com/search?q=19LV505 ... FDVD+Combo
I have an HDMI port on my TV and used a 6 foot Dynex High Speed HDMI ethernet cord to connect to the TV and Roku, instead of the enclosed three pronged cable ; )
If this makes a difference I am connected to Time Warner Cable at a set up of Sat - HD Color Stream; the main TV downstairs has a direct cable connection. When I look at the back of Toshiba TV that I want to connect the Roku to, I noticed there are cable connects between the TV and the cable/receiver box. I also noticed an HDMI open source on the back of the cable box.
Ok, so I hooked up the HDMI cord to Roku and TV, and nada.... nothing comes up at all. I checked the source input button, and do not see Roku in the menu as the installation booklet indicates is suppose to happen. I changed the setting to HD/HDMI in the source/input.... still nothing.
So I'm totally stumped as to what I need to do next???? I'm wondering if I should be connecting the other end of the HDMI cord to the cable box instead. So tried that and it still didn't work. I would be very appreciative of any help you can give me. Thanks, Bekka

I should clarify the HDMI cord a bit more. The sales clerk told me to buy the HDMI High Speed with ethernet cord. Does that make a difference since if I ever get this working I want to use my wireless router????
Bekka

Re: Connecting Roku to HDMI

Postby knuckle » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:21 pm

from roku to hdmi input on the toshiba should work. I know that toshiba sets 40XV645U and 46XV648U are a bit flakey and require you to turn the set off and back on to recognize the new connection so try this --power tv off hook roku to tv power tv back on and see if it gets it

good luck
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all hooked wireless via Linksys WRT54G running tomato firmware

favorite channel-- Justin TV
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby JimMadsen » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:39 pm

HDMI is really plug and play. I am not aware of any cable boxes with a HDMI input on it. but hey what do I know! Are you sure the Roku is powered up? There is a light blue light on the front of it. Try to use the included cord and see if that works. Also try a different HDMI input if you have more than one.

As for the cable, no it really does not matter. As long as it is version 1.2 or greater, it should work. A note about short run HDMI cables. If you paid more than a couple of bucks, you paid too much. Digital signals either work or they do not. It does not matter if the plug is silver or gold. Version 1.4, which carries ethernet, is more for internet enabled TV. I got a 15 foot 1.4 HDMI cord on ebay shipped for 11 bucks. It works great.

At least he sold you a cheaper Dynex versus Monster Cable!
JimMadsen

Postby Bekka » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:25 am

First, thanks so much for your advice. It is greatly appreciated. No there is only one HDMI source on the TV. I found an online source that shows the back of the TV as here:
http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2435823810091097937WZmhfq?vhost=entertainment I tried to do the image but when I checked my posting it showed the little red X.
I think in the course of trying to get the Roku working, I believe I did turn TV on and off a few times.
Questions I have. Normally, right after hook-up does a Roku screen come up on the TV automatically? Or do you need to change any settings on the remotes or TV first. Do you select any particular channel on your TV before hooking up Roku or do you not LOL. I'm techno challenged when it comes to TVs and of course the Roku. I did notice in the book, it mentions that little light on the Roku (LED?) should show an even glow like a nightlight after hookup and after the initial flashing. It looks like the light on mine turns off totally, no glow after a few minutes of hookup. I'll try to reset it and see if that's all it needs. If not maybe I'll need to take it back. Glad to know the cable I was told to buy should still work wirelessly ; ) When every one wakes up around here, I can try the advice you all have given me. I appreciate the information greatly, and will be back to let you know if I got it working or not.
Thanks again.
Bekka

Postby Bekka » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:11 am

Ok, I followed advice, hooked up the Roku to my TV, and turned the TV off. Using the cable remote it didn't work when I turned it back on. Changed to HDMI setting with the TV remote, turned off and turned on, waited a few minutes and the set-up showed up. Seemed to have taken the checks with all green lights showing the proper connections, got a message the Roku will now update........... and 5 minutes later I still have a blank screen. Does it take that long to update??? Which remote do I use the cable one, the TV one, or the Roku now??? Too many remotes LOL. Advice any one?????
Bekka

Postby knuckle » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:41 am

still a black screen? try turnin the tv off and on again then grab ya roku remote for some channel adding
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635

knuckle

Postby Bekka » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:10 am

I haven't gotten the screen that is suppose to come up about resolution and a code for the Roku account. Last I saw there was a cursor going round and round and it said updating... that was as far as I have gotten so far. I did try turning the TV on and off a few times..... and when I put the HDMI source from input on, nada.......just a blank screen.
Bekka

Postby Bekka » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:12 am

Oh and the Roku light is glowing, the remote works when I click any thing the Roku light blinks. I'm getting very very frustrated with this, but I am persistent. Do the updates take that long??? Oh and the Roku player shows up in my Network on the computer.
Bekka

Postby kc8pql » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:10 am

Bekka wrote: Do the updates take that long???

No, they don't. Sounds like the Roku is connecting to your LAN but not the internet.
OTA Antenna
"Netflix Player" N1000X
XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X
Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby Bekka » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:23 am

Ok, I've disconnected, did a reset, etc. The reset did not result in my loosing the previous input for the network because a new screen does not come up to input router info. In fact as becoming the normal, I have a black screen. That's it. Oh with the little HMDI icon flashing around to let me know I have the TV on that setting. I turned off my router, unhooked roku, and started over. According to the Netgear logs, Roku isn't being denied assess, or blocked. I've done every thing except stand on my head to do these things, well maybe even a little of that. I spent several hours into the night yesterday to get this working. This morning I was up at 4:00am plugging a way, and here it is 11:30 am already. Any one have any more advice they can share with me?
Bekka

Postby knuckle » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:12 am

unhook the hdmi,use the composite cable and set up ya roku (set up account,wireless etc etc) then un hook composite,hook hdmi up and on/off ya tv

sorry you are having so much trouble Bekka,it is usually as simple as plug and play,,,,

good luck
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635

knuckle

Postby microlady » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:30 am

You said your main TV downstairs has a direct cable connection.

How do you get your Internet input into your home? Do you have a cable modem? Or a combo modem/router?

Mine comes in as follows: cable into home via splitter, one part to the TV and one part to the cable modem, then a connection from the cable modem to the router. The wireless router connects wired to 1 PC, it connects wirelessly to a PC in another room and also to the Roku wirelessly. When I have had connection problems, I always have to unplug the router then the cable modem, wait 30 seconds, plug back in the modem, let it sync with everything, then plug in the router. Then the Roku finds the connections it needs. Once in awhile if the Roku freezes on a screen, I only have to unplug the Roku wait about 10 seconds, then plug it back in and it takes care of getting itself working again.

My Router shows the Roku as connected. It also shows whatever PC I have on..as connected.
If Roku seems to have a connection problem, I double check by using a PC to connect to the Internet and if the PC connects...the Roku does too.

I just didn't see you mention a modem and also you talk about the Roku and the TV whereas it is also important that the Roku correspond with your router. I put the Roku's MAC address in my router as a permitted connection, and also any PCs MAC that I use.

Don't know if this helps you or not but thought it might help if you see a connection that works and see what is in the line of connection as in: Internet to Cable Modem to Router and then the Router communicates with all devices it has assigned an IP address to, which shows up in the DHCP settings as Clients.

As far as a TV channel question, you did find that switching the TV over to the HDMI input is where you will find the Roku. As far as linking the Roku, have you gone to the Netflix site and checked to see if your Roku Serial Number is listed there as a link. You also would go the the Roku site and see also if your Roku is linked there. This checking is done through your computer going to the Internet.

I hope something here helped you understand the path your Roku must take to be connected. Your mention of getting the 3 green lights is indicative that you had a connection there. Not sure what happened after that. Do you have anything else that connects wirelessly? And how does that work with your modem/router, etc?

Hopefully someone here can explain all this better. Your Internet connection setup is most important for the Roku to work properly.
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008
microlady

Postby Bekka » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:35 pm

I have a Nook Tablet that synced to my home network perfectly without a hitch. I can get onto the internet with the Nook Tablet easily & quickly and have a beautiful picture when playing netflix. Kind of hard for two people to watch a movie on the NOOk though. Not to mention I'm also synced to a netbook and a laptop; also without a hitch. My HP Printer/Scanner/Fax.... no problemo!! All work seamlessly & wireless. The only thing I have had a problem with is this dang Roku ; ) LOL. I noticed when I switched the TV on to watch weather on cable earlier, the Roku box light went off. If I click on Ok with the Roku remote, the light comes back on. I'm wondering if the Roku is defective. I went to a couple of electronic stores close by today and was told by two different places there are units that don't always work like they are suppose to right out of the box. I was given an HDMI high speed cord and was advised I could try it but the guy said the High Speed cord w/ethernet I have should work very well. I'm grabbing at straws here and haven't gotten to first base yet, so wanted to try a different HDMI cord. Well sales guy was right the other, High speed HDMI cord w/out ethernet didn't work either. I'll be returning the borrowed HDMI cord tomorrow. My TV is screwed into the wall, so I can't really get in back to the composite sources. The HDMI source was easy for me to get to. I did turn my router on and off and I turned off the cable box. Now I don't show the Roku in my network as streaming any more. What's up with that? I will try it again by leaving the router and cable off longer. I know my broadband speed is excellent, including wifi bars to the top on all other devices. I have Time Warner Cable. I bought this Roku at a store quite a ways a way, and can't get there today.
I know my product is not activated on Netflix, because I never got any more picture after the dang thing said updating.... So I never got a unique code to put in the Roku account. Didn't bother setting up the account yet because I don't have the code, and I don't know if this darn thing will work right. Can't activate on netflix until all the other accounts are straight. I only got so far as the Roku showing green lights for all my connections..... then the updaing notice.... then black screen that never got any kind of picture on it. No roku logo, nothing.... just a black screen.
Bekka

Postby Bekka » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:04 pm

I've been reading that the light on the Roku is suppose to stay on all the time. I had my TV on at HDMI setting hoping the Roku would kick on. After about an hour, I went back into the room and nothiced the light was off. Not even a glo, it is definitely not on. Is that normal???
Bekka

Postby TheEndless » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:52 pm

Bekka wrote:I've been reading that the light on the Roku is suppose to stay on all the time. I had my TV on at HDMI setting hoping the Roku would kick on. After about an hour, I went back into the room and nothiced the light was off. Not even a glo, it is definitely not on. Is that normal???

The light goes off when the unit goes into standby and the screensaver comes on (I think 10 minutes is the default).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion