Choosing a Roku ... which is the best?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Choosing a Roku ... which is the best?

Postby jj777 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:49 am

Hi all. I have decided to ditch our satellite tv and get a roku. I am trying to decide which one to get. I prefer to have one that connects via ethernet as I try and avoid wifi as much as possible.

I looked at the specs of the different models and was leaning toward the dxs. I see this is one of the older models. Is there any disadvantage to this older model than one of the newer ones?
Any difference in quality?

Thanks,

J
jj777

Re: Choosing a Roku ... which is the best?

Postby knuckle » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:03 am

the roku 2 xs has the angry birds game and the "gaming" remote but being as I am not a gamer its not that big a deal to me---I have the roku 1 xd and an LT and for just streaming they both work very well but the addition of a usb port would be nice......I would opt for the xds too
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby jj777 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:06 am

Thanks for the reply.
yeah, we are not gamers either ....especially not the angry birds.

:/
jj777

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:09 am

be advised though that the XDS is a discontinued product with a different firmware version than that of the new Roku 2 units. Roku has stated they will continue to support it but who knows how long. The hardware is upgraded in the R2 units as well, and even though they lose some connections from the previous gen they gain capabilities like adaptive bitrate streaming from Netflix, the gaming (if that's important), surround sound, closed captioning, and 1080p capabilities from Netflix, etc. I have a Roku XD, XDS, and a Roku 2 XS. All are very good but the R2's are the most current in terms of hardware and software capabilities.
stratcat96

Postby jj777 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:57 pm

I like the dxs because of the ethernet & USB (I prefer USB to sd) but am concerned about it being a discontinued product.
We do not do games at all here. Mainly we are looking to get the Roku so we can finally be done w/ satellite tv and the constantly increasing monthly bill.

So for watching movies and so forth, would you say the R2 is better than the xds?

Thanks,

jen
jj777

Postby RickRansom » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:19 pm

jj777 wrote:So for watching movies and so forth, would you say the R2 is better than the xds?

The XD|S is actually a great device. If you are going to stream mainly from Netflix, this model doesn't utilize adaptive streaming. It's a good and bad thing because you will always get HD in terms of PQ (more or less depending on your connection) as long as the content is in HD. If your download speed is not that fast, you may experience frequent buffering on Netflix.
On Roku 1 Netflix goes only as much as 720p and not 1080p(please do correct me if I'm wrong). And since it runs on a different software version than the Roku 2, you won't get closed caption or surround sound from Netflix on the XD|S.
Good thing about the XD|S though is that it is dual-band wireless-N so you can connect it to a 5ghz wireless network, provided your wireless router has that capability. That means less interference and faster connection wirelessly.

If I were to suggest a player, I'd say go for the Roku 2 XS and buy an extra remote(Infrared) as an accessory since the bluetooth remote usually takes a lot more juice so changing batteries(more than once a month) may be a bit troublesome to say the least. :lol:
You'll get an ethernet port, USB drive for your saved videos, closed caption and surround sound on Netflix along with the adaptive streaming feature and probably kick in a 2gb micro SD to make your player run smoothly even if you install 30+ channels and a few games(or 50-80+ channels if you remove some of the games).
Retired
RickRansom

Postby TheEndless » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:43 pm

jj777 wrote:I like the dxs because of the ethernet & USB (I prefer USB to sd) but am concerned about it being a discontinued product.

The Roku2 XS has ethernet and USB as well.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby robertm » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Just keep in mind that Roku is a companion product to satellite and cable not a replacement. There are plenty of people that have gotten one and then "cut the cord" but it normally requires compromise and time to get used to a different experience. If you are highly motivated and flexible you might be able to do it quickly but this forum also has plenty of cord cutting failure threads where people expected a piece of cheap electronics and a Netflix membership to perform miracles.
robertm

Postby knuckle » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:11 pm

umm.....lets use very economical instead of cheap,cheap just sounds like a put down :P
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000
knuckle

Postby floridamom » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:18 pm

We have 2 of the Roku 2 XD units, which we bought before the 2 XS came out. We are considering getting an LT for our teenage son's room. If I was just now buying our main units, I'd probably get the XS. It costs the same as the XD did when we bought those.

robertm wrote:Just keep in mind that Roku is a companion product to satellite and cable not a replacement. There are plenty of people that have gotten one and then "cut the cord" but it normally requires compromise and time to get used to a different experience. If you are highly motivated and flexible you might be able to do it quickly but this forum also has plenty of cord cutting failure threads where people expected a piece of cheap electronics and a Netflix membership to perform miracles.

It really depends on what you're looking for. We realized we were paying a ridiculous amount for satellite while we really only watched a few of the channels. We don't watch sports, and get most of our news, except local, online. We watch OTA for local news, and Roku provides everything else. We already had a Netflix subscription and Amazon Prime. We added Hulu Plus for a few shows we couldn't get elsewhere. I wouldn't recommend cutting cable or satellite to anyone who watches live sports or wants 24 hour news channels. If you are willing to spend a little time learning to watch tv a bit differently though, cutting the cord and going Roku + OTA will save you hundreds a year.
floridamom

Postby jj777 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:28 am

Our24hour news channels is the main reason we have kept the sat, but it isinsane to pay 80 a month for news. Besides, it will be good to watch Less news I think.

Sometimes we do watch live sports, but we also intend on purchasing a good ole fashion antenna ... well a new one, for locals.

Thanks for all of your replies.

J
jj777

Postby steamer » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:40 am

The Roku 1 xds IS indeed 1080 ...
http://www.amazon.com/Roku-XDS-Streamin ... 038&sr=8-1
AND is going up in price. i wouldn't trade mine ... i'll only go Roku 2 if/when forced to.
read all the threads here and perhaps you'll come to the same conclusion.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.5.321
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer

Postby kc8pql » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:03 am

steamer wrote:
...AND is going up in price.

Roku still has them for $99. See the bottom of the page here: http://www.roku.com/accessories

I don't have any problems with either of my R1s or my R2. I prefer the R2. To each his own though.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby socantra » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:17 am

jj777 wrote:Our24hour news channels is the main reason we have kept the sat, but it isinsane to pay 80 a month for news. Besides, it will be good to watch Less news I think.

There's plenty of 24 hour news channels available on Roku, but it tends to be world news rather than just U.S. BBC, Al Jazeera, CNN International and several others are available as live feeds.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:51 am

Bloomberg TV is in the NowhereTV channel, and there is also an RT America channel which broadcasts from Washington DC and has a good number of primetime shows dealing solely with U.S. affairs.
stratcat96

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion