Are there any actual live streaming channels on roku?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Are there any actual live streaming channels on roku?

Postby shark974 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:04 am

I'm investigating "cutting the cord" like so many, but one thing that bugs me about Roku, as well as Xbox 360 and other streaming devices I've seen, is that none of them offer ANY sort of actual live streaming channel.

They're all 100% in the "choose from a selection of clips/movies/prerecorded content" or maybe "choose a game you'd like to watch" in the case of ESPN 3 on Xbox.

I understand it's advantageous at times to be able to choose exactly what recorded media you'd like to watch, but there's something about say, a live news channel like MSNBC or Fox that just feels a lot more alive, vibrant and up to the minute. I'd miss this feeling if I cut cable (besides a limited selection of over the air of course).

So are there any channels that are actually live streaming channels on roku. that you "tune" to, rather than choose from a selection of clips? It's amazing to me that I have not seen one such effort so far on any stream service, but maybe I'm missing something?
shark974

Re: Are there any actual live streaming channels on roku?

Postby atheling » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:52 am

I'm not a sports fan so I haven't checked, but from forum threads I've got the impression that there are a couple of paid sports channels that have live games.

The NowhereTV private channel has at least a couple live streaming feeds that I am aware of both news related. One is the BBC world news the other is Al Jazeera. So it certainly is possible to view "live" video on a Roku, it seems to be up to the channel creator and the copyright holder(s) of the content.
atheling

Postby kc8pql » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:17 am

shark974 wrote:It's amazing to me that I have not seen one such effort so far on any stream service, but maybe I'm missing something?

As noted above, it's because of copyright laws and licensing restrictions by the content owners. No set top box is a direct replacement for cable.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby socantra » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:23 am

Ther are live streams of BBC World News, Al Jazeera, CNN International, Bloomberg , etc.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby kc8pql » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:57 am

...and MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS and a few other sports. None of those are free though.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby robertm » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:35 am

I forget what it was called but what happened to that channel that had the video inside the old TV graphic? It was a live stream of old movies. Is it still around?
robertm

Postby robertm » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:37 am

I think it was called Flickstream.
robertm

Postby gonzotek » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:02 am

robertm wrote:I think it was called Flickstream.

http://www.flickstream.com/
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby mastermesh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:32 am

fox news is live at certain times of the day.
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46566&p=359897#p359897 -channel lists/tools
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63553&p=409506#p409506 -fta
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64096 -linear channels
mastermesh

Postby blue_94_trooper » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:34 pm

kc8pql wrote:...and MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS and a few other sports. None of those are free though.

Nor can you stream your hometown (as defined by TV market) team. At least not with MLB and NHL, I assume so with NBA, not sure about MLS.
SoundBridge M500
PhotoBridge HD1000 rev. B (retired)
Roku 2 XS (retired)
Roku XD (retired)
Roku 3 x2
blue_94_trooper

Postby bv2001 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:50 pm

IMO, all of the cable channels that are bundled with packages from providers like Comcast/Time Warner, etc should get on the Roku band wagon and offer up a la carte pricing for their channels through Roku. This would be the way to 'cut the cord'. Choose the channels you WANT to watch not what your 'given' to watch. Add them to your Roku and away we go. No more, 'get 200+ channels' when you only really watch 5. Hopefully this will come to fruition in the near future.
Thanks,
BV
bv2001

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:10 pm

bv2001 wrote:IMO, all of the cable channels that are bundled with packages from providers like Comcast/Time Warner, etc should get on the Roku band wagon and offer up a la carte pricing for their channels through Roku. This would be the way to 'cut the cord'. Choose the channels you WANT to watch not what your 'given' to watch. Add them to your Roku and away we go. No more, 'get 200+ channels' when you only really watch 5. Hopefully this will come to fruition in the near future.

But those chs are guaranteed income from the providers where income from a Roku ch would be problematic at best. Also there are contracts that probably prevent branching out like you suggest.

In the mainstream media risk taking is a nearly lost art and it would take vision for existing cable chs to branch out.

However, as the contracts expire, we will see more of those chs created as the providers can negotiate deals that include do not include streaming exclusions. The risk for that is much smaller that trying to go it alone on streaming.

As far as live streaming it really only applies to news and sports because almost everything else is recorded anyway. The Roku is gaining those but it will be a gradual gain. Fortunately several of the mainstream and high dollar sports have already shown up and we can hope for more.

The really big step would be for foreign sports that are high dollar to show up. European Soccer, Rugby, and even Japanese Sumo would be a great addition.

It will be a gradual process but the MLB, NHL,MLS, NBA, and other sports chs are a good step and the news chs, although much slower to show up, show that streaming is moving forward in the "live" department.
Gilgamesh

Postby robertm » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:39 pm

bv2001 wrote:IMO, all of the cable channels that are bundled with packages from providers like Comcast/Time Warner, etc should get on the Roku band wagon and offer up a la carte pricing for their channels through Roku. This would be the way to 'cut the cord'. Choose the channels you WANT to watch not what your 'given' to watch. Add them to your Roku and away we go. No more, 'get 200+ channels' when you only really watch 5. Hopefully this will come to fruition in the near future.

It would be smart because they could guarantee people being forced to watch ads again but I'd never use it because of the ads and because the only live things I watch are sports. I record Psych every week but I have NO idea what time it comes on nor do I want to go back to being a slave to the TV schedule.
robertm

Postby vnzjunk » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:05 pm

Are there any search boxes at the top right of the page to search for easily found answers to questions?
vnzjunk

Postby ChrisDotson » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:30 pm

Jewelry Television is streaming live on the ROKU 24x7.
ChrisDotson

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion