Assign Static IP to Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Assign Static IP to Roku

Postby rokadoke » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:11 pm

Why to use a static IP: So my wife can use her Android phone's roku app as a remote without it periodically saying, "can't connect. did the ip change?"

Thanks to the person who suggested setting the router to always assign the same IP to the device's mac address.
rokadoke

Postby dgrace » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:13 am

...and so that the MyMedia channel wil continue to stream content to it, and so that the Roku remote program can control it from the laptop.
I also prefer static to printers so that they can still be easily found by each computer.
I also have static to my Wii as its kept in the DMZ. Other devices, iPhone, iPod, netbook, laptop etc are all DHCP assigned. Having the ability to create the network to meet the need is a handy feature.
One way to thwart the changing IPs is to increase the routers leaase time. But then if a guest logs on that IP is unavailable for that duration.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
Frank Zappa
dgrace

Postby gonzotek » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:11 am

dgrace wrote:...and so that the MyMedia channel wil continue to stream content to it, and so that the Roku remote program can control it from the laptop.
I also prefer static to printers so that they can still be easily found by each computer.
I also have static to my Wii as its kept in the DMZ. Other devices, iPhone, iPod, netbook, laptop etc are all DHCP assigned. Having the ability to create the network to meet the need is a handy feature.
One way to thwart the changing IPs is to increase the routers leaase time. But then if a guest logs on that IP is unavailable for that duration.
That's what DHCP reservations are for. You reserve an ip for a device's mac address (for devices like printers, rokus, in your case the wii) then everybody else gets an address assigned by the server. No need to increase the lease times to ridiculously high numbers (although I've also seen home routers that I feel had far too short of a lease time). Then you don't have to go through manually setting each device up, you just let them use dhcp to pick up the address and the router manages everything for you. If(when, eventually) you change routers setting everything back up will be much easier as well.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby robertm » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:21 am

stratcat96 wrote:
jeffrok wrote:Gotta disagree with you.. The general populous IS getting smarter, at least when it comes to the "how stuff works" kinda stuff.. Computers and complex electronics, while still not "mastered" by the average Joe, are a lot less "scary" to people.

Ask someone not in IT what an IP Address was 10 years ago.. 1 in 10 might know what you're talking about.

At my job, I ask people all the time to give me the IP address of their computer, so I can remotely access. These are people who are users, not IT tech support or even low-end help desk users. I'd say I've "trained" 75% of them to be able to find the IP address. These are people that 5 years ago would be extremely intimidated.

No, people aren't geniuses, but they have evolved to accept that they need to learn certain things in order to get their high-tech toys to work.

with all due respect Jeffrok, 10% of a sample knowing what an ip address is doesn't really attest to smarter people. Saying that people are less intimidated by tech than 5 years ago speaks to my point. People are more willing to try new tech partly because they have no other option and must adapt to function, the benefits of its use are attractive to them, and the consumer electronic industry strives to make products as accessible as possible by making it as simple as can be. The most successful tech products are those that are the simplest to use. That's Apple's success in a nutshell. If it wasn't made to perform its basic functionality simple enough, it just wouldn't sell. People are also forced into gaining exposure in some form to using a computer or other tech because you can't really get by without having one anymore since so much relies on their use. You can't even apply for a job without being able to go online and submit an application these days. Those people are not trying to rebuild their computers, they are just trying to learn the basics so they can function. Just like if you are over 16 you most likely know how to drive a car, but very few comparatively know how to change the oil or what to do if the car won't start.

But yes, back to topic it wouldn't hurt anybody to have more flexibility in the Roku

The younger generation is not being forced to use technology they have fully embraced it. People were really stopped being forced to use technology by Y2K because you were either using it or unemployed. It is increasingly more uncommon for a child not to have access to a computer either at home or school. I don't know what age you are but I have been in IT for a long time and things have DRASTICALLY improved. Shoot, 20ish years ago it was still common for me to give mouse lessons and walk into offices with more typewriters than computers.

Apple products are simple but they are simple because people have become more savvy and less fearful because there is still a learning curve.
robertm

Postby dgrace » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:25 pm

gonzotek wrote:
dgrace wrote:...and so that the MyMedia channel wil continue to stream content to it, and so that the Roku remote program can control it from the laptop.
That's what DHCP reservations are for. You reserve an ip for a device's mac address (for devices like printers, rokus, in your case the wii) then everybody else gets an address assigned by the server. No need to increase the lease times to ridiculously high numbers (although I've also seen home routers that I feel had far too short of a lease time). Then you don't have to go through manually setting each device up, you just let them use dhcp to pick up the address and the router manages everything for you. If(when, eventually) you change routers setting everything back up will be much easier as well.

I got that going on now. Seems I had done this for some devices (Wii is in DMZ, and Printer) but had not extended that to all of my devices until recently.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
Frank Zappa
dgrace

Postby hozedhead » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:18 pm

Since there are many different routers and ISPs in play, I invite all who have done so to post the steps to assign static IP(s) to their Roku(s) using the DHCP reservation solution to the Roku tips thread. I already did so there, so there is no need to duplicate that particular method.
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Postby ryoga » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:46 pm

There should be the ability to assign a static IP when in Development mode. This is so that companies with VPNs, global networks, etc have the ability to test their apps that use geo-blocking features. More importantly, many good networks do not allow DHCP within their structure. This avoids random IPs being assigned to iMRCs.

If a company does have DHCP and uses multiple routers, only 1 DHCP server can be assign at any given time. If you wanted to switch between IP addresses of different ranges, you can not do so if only 1 DHCP server is assigned to a certain IP range.

I have my hands up for static IP assignment.
ryoga

Postby Hays00s » Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm

This thread is insane and people getting all huffy defending this lack of basic functionality are unbelievably insane.

I come from IT, I can set a static IP on my Xbox, Wii, TV, AppleTV, phone, and DVD PLAYER. DVD PLAYER. The option between Static or Auto is BASIC FUNTIONALITY. I don't care why you fan boys blah blah blah, Roku got lazy and didn't want to make the extra UI pages for something the device supports underneath the UI.

I don't NEED a reason to defend my position, this is literally the only network enabled device that lacks this basic functionality. Nor should anyone have to defend their network practices or deployment when it comes to running either static or auto, or MAC address IP reservation (my preferred method). Its something that should be there from the start for this device to boast basic functionality. This is clown shoes, it's like a bad joke. I cannot take the product seriously because obviously they are not taking it seriously.

I work for a company that installs home automation systems and video distribution, we've installed 10 appleTVs in our systems this year. The system uses a driver that costs the same as the device to operate the device via IP. No way in <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> am I installing another one of these without being able to set a manual IP. We could probably sell another 25-30 this year, but I'm gonna put a stop to that. Roku just lost a bunch of business to Apple, and you People of Good Streaming Taste can say "Then just leave, why are you even posting this, blah blah blah", well I'm posting it because I tihkn Roku would care about lost sales. Maybe they don't, maybe they like Apple getting their sales.

Either way, it's still the only network device, literally, I've ever seen to lack this basic functionality. If you would defend it, then that says just about enough about you.
Hays00s

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed May 29, 2013 2:32 pm

Year old thread. Please read the Forum Guidelines.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion