ROKU 2 XS - Does it work with (VLC movies)?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

ROKU 2 XS - Does it work with (VLC movies)?

Postby sdiddy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:19 pm

I got a roku as a gift and want to know, can I hook up an external hard drive to the Roku, and then download movies and shows, and then play it using the associated VLC player???

If you have experience with this PLEASE let me know thanks!!!
Last edited by sdiddy on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdiddy

Re: ROKU 2 XS - Does it work with megashares (VLC movies)?

Postby canaws » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:41 pm

Not exactly, but you can still get it to work.

There are several ways...

You can hook your external drive to your computer, download compatible videos (mkv or mp4), and then play videos on the USB channel after you hook it up to your roku.

You can hook your external drive to your computer, download non-compatible videos and convert them to a compatible format (mkv or mp4), and then play videos on the USB channel after you hook it up to your roku.

You can hook your external drive to your computer, download videos, and then play the videos on the roku by using one of the media server channels. Most require that the videos be in a compatible format (MyMedia, Roksbox, Chaneru) and some don't because they transcode on the fly (Plex).
Roku 1 HD (N1100) / SDTV (Composite) / ATT Uverse 6.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG 510
canaws
** Valued Community Member **

Re: ROKU 2 XS - Does it work with (VLC movies)?

Postby sdiddy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:09 pm

thanks for the info....what I wanted to do was bypass the computer altogether....just have roku hooked up to the TV with an external hard drive, and download the VLC (mkv) movies directly throught the roku browser to the hard drive, and then play tem directly from the hard drive throught the roku. I am sick of hooking up the tv to the laptop and dealing with all the wires and junk so I wanted to eliminate the use of the laptop with the roku. cant be done it sounds like?? thanks
Last edited by sdiddy on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdiddy

Re: ROKU 2 XS

Postby hozedhead » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:35 pm

Yeah you can use the USB channel for mkv's they have to be converted to a format that the Roku will play. see this site. I would avoid mentioning where you got the files in the future, you may even want to edit your original post and subject line. You are sure to get some flack from people who are going to assume you are wanting to use the Roku for viewing illegally obtained content.
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Postby sdiddy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:44 pm

thanks...no illegal downaloding i would never do that....only legal sites. but can the roku itself go to a legal download site and actually download the mkv to the external hard drive without the use of a laptop? thanks!
sdiddy

Postby kc8pql » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:49 pm

sdiddy wrote: can the roku itself go to a legal download site and actually download the mkv to the external hard drive without the use of a laptop? thanks!

No. The Roku doesn't have a browser and doesn't write to the USB port.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion