Can TwonkyMedia server be used to serve videos to Roksbox

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Can TwonkyMedia server be used to serve videos to Roksbox

Postby mmano1 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:34 am

Hi

I have apache running on my laptop, serving videos from my WD MyBook Live NAS to Roksbox and everything works fine. I don't want to leave my laptop running, so I am trying to find out if the TwonkyMedia server that comes with the WD NAS can be used to serve videos directly to Roksbox. I tried pointing Roksbox to the TwonkyMedia server, but it would not work. I have not found anything on this forum related to that.

Thanks in advance

Mano
mmano1

Re: Can TwonkyMedia server be used to serve videos to Roksbo

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:13 pm

I do not think so but you can try it but Roksbox needs a server that can be addressed via ip+port and I doubt Twonky does that.

Also the served directory should look like a regular directory when browsed and I don't think Twonky can be configured that way either.

But the one to provide a definitive answer is WilDD as he is the developer of Roksbox.
Gilgamesh

Postby renojim » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:29 pm

For what it's worth, I picked up a 1TB MyBook Live for cheap and I've been thinking of trying to get MyMedia to run on it. Let me know if you're interested and I'll give it a try. Or, you may be able to get the Apache server that's already running to work with Roksbox.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby hozedhead » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:06 pm

renojim wrote:For what it's worth, I picked up a 1TB MyBook Live for cheap and I've been thinking of trying to get MyMedia to run on it. Let me know if you're interested and I'll give it a try. Or, you may be able to get the Apache server that's already running to work with Roksbox.
-JT

Er, it sounds like the OP already has it working from his laptop but wants to set up a server on the NAS to avoid having the laptop on all the time. FWIW there's a section on the Roksbox website that deals with setting up the WD Mybook World NAS.
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Postby mmano1 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:12 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:I do not think so but you can try it but Roksbox needs a server that can be addressed via ip+port and I doubt Twonky does that.

Also the served directory should look like a regular directory when browsed and I don't think Twonky can be configured that way either.

But the one to provide a definitive answer is WilDD as he is the developer of Roksbox.

I can access the Twonky server thru a browser by entering ip:port and it gets me to the top level, but the served directory does not look like a regular directory, i.e. like what the Apache server does, but more of a top level menu of my music, photo & videos.
mmano1

Postby hozedhead » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:06 pm

mmano1 wrote:I can access the Twonky server thru a browser by entering ip:port and it gets me to the top level, but the served directory does not look like a regular directory, i.e. like what the Apache server does, but more of a top level menu of my music, photo & videos.

Did you leave the media root folder setting blank when trying to point Roksbox to the Twonky server
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Postby philsoft » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:30 pm

hozedhead wrote:
mmano1 wrote:I can access the Twonky server thru a browser by entering ip:port and it gets me to the top level, but the served directory does not look like a regular directory, i.e. like what the Apache server does, but more of a top level menu of my music, photo & videos.

Did you leave the media root folder setting blank when trying to point Roksbox to the Twonky server

I can tell you that I never got the twonky media server to serve anything successfully to the Roku. It apparently gives proprietary data to it's proprietary software.
philsoft

Postby WilDD » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Roksbox won't work with the TwonkyMedia server, but as hozedhead said, it will work with the WD My Book World by following these instructions.
WilDD

Postby renojim » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:41 am

hozedhead wrote:Er, it sounds like the OP already has it working from his laptop but wants to set up a server on the NAS to avoid having the laptop on all the time.

MyMedia will run on anything that can run Python. I run it on a Pogoplug clone and will probably try to get to run on the MyBook Live.

-JT
renojim

Postby JSJarvis » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:55 pm

There is a way to get a Mybook Live NAS to work with Roksbox, but it requires installing and purchasing the Features Packs from this site:

http://highlevelbits.free.fr/

Instructions are on the site for installing the Features Pack and how to get it to work with Roksbox. I just got it this past week and have been working with it this weekend.
JSJarvis

Postby mmano1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:29 pm

JSJarvis wrote:There is a way to get a Mybook Live NAS to work with Roksbox, but it requires installing and purchasing the Features Packs from this site:

http://highlevelbits.free.fr/

Instructions are on the site for installing the Features Pack and how to get it to work with Roksbox. I just got it this past week and have been working with it this weekend.

Hi

Were you successful and if so, can you pl post the steps you used to get it to work. Thanks
mmano1

Postby cnuxoll » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:31 am

Anyone successful in getting Twonky to work with any Roku app? Having this issue also, and my other NAS is pogoplug...
cnuxoll

Postby jeffrok » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:42 am

Probably best to open a new thread since this one is so old.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby cnuxoll » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:52 am

Well, I guess I wanted to give the impression that I had researched the issue pretty well before just being lazy and posting a new thread :D
cnuxoll

Postby kc8pql » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:42 pm

^ Roku updates things often, so it's generally better to start new if a thread has been inactive more that 6 months.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38665
OTA Antenna
"Netflix Player" N1000X
XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X
Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion