Now that Starz movies are not going to appear on NetFlix

This is the place to discuss items not related to your Roku Streaming Player

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Now that Starz movies are not going to appear on NetFlix

Postby SCOREtv.TV » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:13 pm

Does anyone have any hope that Starz will create a ROKU channel?
Private channel : SCORETV https://owner.roku.com/Add/SCORETV
SCOREtv.TV

Re: Now that Starz movies are not going to appear on NetFlix

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:00 pm

Let's break this into two parts

1- do I expect it? No, Starz has made their bed with the old system where people have to pay several layers of middlemen to get content. They are supporting the cable system much like HBO and Showtime. They don't want our money.

2- do I want it? Kind of. They did have good content. They also had deals in place with BBC and ABC (Australia, not our ABC). However content isn't theirs to control so Netflix and Hulu can just as easily get it. I'd rather they did so that my two subscription fees would continue to cover me. I don't want to pay for a third or fourth.

Starz was a reseller, an extra layer if you will. That level is becoming less important as the system is streamlining and adapting.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby gonzotek » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:28 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:Let's break this into two parts

1- do I expect it? No, Starz has made their bed with the old system where people have to pay several layers of middlemen to get content. They are supporting the cable system much like HBO and Showtime. They don't want our money.

2- do I want it? Kind of. They did have good content. They also had deals in place with BBC and ABC (Australia, not our ABC). However content isn't theirs to control so Netflix and Hulu can just as easily get it. I'd rather they did so that my two subscription fees would continue to cover me. I don't want to pay for a third or fourth.

Starz was a reseller, an extra layer if you will. That level is becoming less important as the system is streamlining and adapting.
You make the case that Stars is like HBO and Showtime, and yet HBO and Showtime both have Roku apps (albeit Showtime's is more of a teaser for the cable channel right now). Why couldn't Stars go the the same route as HBO (and Epix) and offer a Roku channel, but still tied to a cable subscription? I'm not suggesting that's the optimal outcome for end users looking to cut the cord, but that wasn't the question posed.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

gonzotek wrote:You make the case that Stars is like HBO and Showtime, and yet HBO and Showtime both have Roku apps (albeit Showtime's is more of a teaser for the cable channel right now). Why couldn't Stars go the the same route as HBO (and Epix) and offer a Roku channel, but still tied to a cable subscription? I'm not suggesting that's the optimal outcome for end users looking to cut the cord, but that wasn't the question posed.

To me it's the same thing. Showtime doesn't have real content on the Roku, only commercials. HBO may as well not have because it demands you have cable, and an HBO subscription. Either way they are still telling me they don't want my money. Epix is even odder because most of their content is on Netflix. I really don't see a need for Epix having it's own channel.

Further Starz is in bed with Dish Network directly via the BB deal. If anything Starz will just pull further back and fold into the Dish family more completely. That might actually be the best bet for them short term anyway as premium cable is falling very fast right now.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby jeffrok » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:12 am

..I will finally get some sleep, not wondering when Starz movie endcodes stop looking like VCR-quality!
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Off Topic