HBO GO/Comcast - Not supported

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

HBO GO/Comcast - Not supported

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:58 pm

Found a 68 page thread on DISH not supporting. Would anyone be so kind to tell me the status of Xfinity/Comcast not supporting HBO GO on Roku? Is there a hack or private workaround? I have HBO GO hooked up on my Apple computer.

I’d really like to get the HBO GO Channel working.
Motorola 6121 Modem>Linksys E1000 Router wired to>
Roku Model: Roku 2 XS - 13A17HO52395
Audio/Video: Sony BX420, 40", Stereo, Panasonic GT50, Digital Audio Out
JoshuaMarc1234

Re: HBO GO/Comcast - Not supported

Postby arrowrand » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:55 am

That's an issue between Comcast and HBO, not Roku. There is no work around or back door. Comcast blocks HBO Go access on Roku and that's that.

I have DirecTV and they don't allow Rokuaccess, so I use the browser on my Google TV box to access HBO Go on my TV.
Fire TV & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU HDMI Streaming Stick & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU 2, Fire TV Stick & Chromecast - 37" LCD
Chromecast - 32" LCD
----
Airport Extreme
TWC 50/5
arrowrand

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:04 am

arrowrand wrote:That's an issue between Comcast and HBO, not Roku. There is no work around or back door. Comcast blocks HBO Go access on Roku and that's that.

I have DirecTV and they don't allow Rokuaccess, so I use the browser on my Google TV box to access HBO Go on my TV.

Got it. Appreciate the input. I can throw it up on the TV through my browser as well and this works fine. Much better than the Comcast UI for HBO online.
JoshuaMarc1234

Postby METDeath » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:40 pm

The work around would be to have a friend who subscribes to HBO and uses a carrier that allows Roku streaming and have him activate the device for you.

Granted, that'd be a gray area as far as "legality" is involved. You are technically paying for the service, and can even access it on your own via other devices (iDevices anyone?). However, your content provider (Comcrap), does not allow you to access it in that manner.
METDeath

Postby irishjeff » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:25 pm

It is irritating that DirecTV also does not give access to HBO GO for the ROKU player. Their explanation is that HBO GO is for "mobile" use in Iphone/Ipad or Android devices and that On-Demand video
is already available to customers. This is actually true. If you have a DVR you already have On-Demand HBO and Cinemax but its not "streaming" like ROKU but has to download to your DVR first. I am new to this streaming video world, but so far I absolutely LOVE the ROKU player. I tried using PlayOn software before with my DirecTV DVR but it would NEVER work.

Channels i would like to see on ROKU:

Antenna TV - this over the air channel is absolutely amazing. It shows the classic tv channels.

MyTV - I guess it used to be on ROKU, but is now some strange foreign channel - once again classic TV

I would like to see channels like RTE Ireland available with all the live feeds also.
irishjeff

Postby arrowrand » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:22 pm

METDeath wrote:Granted, that'd be a gray area as far as "legality" is involved. You are technically paying for the service, and can even access it on your own via other devices (iDevices anyone?). However, your content provider (Comcrap), does not allow you to access it in that manner.

That's not a gray area at all, that's theft of service and is illegal in all 50 states.
Fire TV & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU HDMI Streaming Stick & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU 2, Fire TV Stick & Chromecast - 37" LCD
Chromecast - 32" LCD
----
Airport Extreme
TWC 50/5
arrowrand

Postby mikebdoss » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:28 pm

arrowrand wrote:
METDeath wrote:Granted, that'd be a gray area as far as "legality" is involved. You are technically paying for the service, and can even access it on your own via other devices (iDevices anyone?). However, your content provider (Comcrap), does not allow you to access it in that manner.

That's not a gray area at all, that's theft of service and is illegal in all 50 states.

We shouldn't let cable companies write our laws. Nothing is being stolen, and no one is deprived of anything.
Last edited by mikebdoss on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby METDeath » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:13 pm

arrowrand wrote:

My statement was based upon you paying for HBO through Comast or DirectTV, and maintaining that service while have a friend that uses a provider that will allow HBOGo on the Roku add your Roku device to their HBOGo login. I just may not have been terribly clear in the part where you still pay for HBO through Comcast or whoever.

So how is it stealing? Circumvention of a stupidity, yes, theft, no.

And so help me god I will cancel my TV is they pull the same kind of crap with the Xbox 360.
METDeath

Postby blue_94_trooper » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:48 pm

mikebdoss wrote:We shouldn't let cable companies write our laws. Nothing is being stolen, and no one is deprived of anything.

They aren't writing laws, they are writing contracts and the customers are signing them. You'd feel youself ill-used if they just broke their terms to please themselves.

I'm no big fan of the cable companies and if you can find a workaround, great. Just don't act like you're entitled to it.
SoundBridge M500
PhotoBridge HD1000 rev. B (retired)
Roku 2 XS (retired)
Roku XD (retired)
Roku 3 x2
blue_94_trooper

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:14 pm

blue_94_trooper wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:We shouldn't let cable companies write our laws. Nothing is being stolen, and no one is deprived of anything.

They aren't writing laws, they are writing contracts and the customers are signing them. You'd feel youself ill-used if they just broke their terms to please themselves.

I'm no big fan of the cable companies and if you can find a workaround, great. Just don't act like you're entitled to it.

Indeed, I would expect Comcast wants some dosh from Roku, lest they feel their “content” being cannibilized-sp? in the non-mobile vertical?
JoshuaMarc1234

Postby METDeath » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:02 am

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:Indeed, I would expect Comcast wants some dosh from Roku, lest they feel their “content” being cannibilized-sp? in the non-mobile vertical?

If that's the case, it doesn't explain the move into the XBox 360 TV App that they are rolling out sometime this quarter. At least, that's what the buzz on the internet says.
METDeath

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:33 am

METDeath wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:Indeed, I would expect Comcast wants some dosh from Roku, lest they feel their “content” being cannibilized-sp? in the non-mobile vertical?

If that's the case, it doesn't explain the move into the XBox 360 TV App that they are rolling out sometime this quarter. At least, that's what the buzz on the internet says.

Just speculation on my part. Forgive me I’m not understand your point, perhaps because mine is not clear. I’m thinking that Comcast wants payment for providing “their” HBO content on Roku. Thinking that its already available online. Perhaps XBox has paid for the HBO content? I hope I’m making sense? I certainly do not know how these companies negotiate for the right to carry one content package or another, on one platform or another. I’m just speculating.
JoshuaMarc1234

Postby robertm » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:11 am

To me the really stupid part is that my Dish Receiver is also an internet streamer and there is no HBO GO on it. Of course they lied to me and said it would show up if I subscribed so I did and then forced them to remove the subscription without a cancellation fee. The HBO GO app on the Boxee Box is not very good and I no longer have Rokus in my two main viewing areas.
robertm

Postby destruk » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:32 pm

robertm wrote:To me the really stupid part is that my Dish Receiver is also an internet streamer and there is no HBO GO on it. Of course they lied to me and said it would show up if I subscribed so I did and then forced them to remove the subscription without a cancellation fee. The HBO GO app on the Boxee Box is not very good and I no longer have Rokus in my two main viewing areas.

It sounds to me like you solved the problem - but are you happy?
destruk

Postby METDeath » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:24 am

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:
METDeath wrote:

Just speculation on my part. Forgive me I’m not understand your point, perhaps because mine is not clear. I’m thinking that Comcast wants payment for providing “their” HBO content on Roku. Thinking that its already available online. Perhaps XBox has paid for the HBO content? I hope I’m making sense? I certainly do not know how these companies negotiate for the right to carry one content package or another, on one platform or another. I’m just speculating.

They don't charge for it on iOS devices or Android, nor through a PC, which I may end up just using my HTPC and a web browser (as much as that sucks when I have a remote and the Hulu desktop app even supports the same remote commands as Windows Media Center
METDeath

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion