If I use Roku full-time, what about bandwidth usage?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

If I use Roku full-time, what about bandwidth usage?

Postby sirzune » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:53 pm

I've read that some people have gotten rid of cable and use Roku full-time. But wouldn't that make the user's bandwidth usage jump? Say, for instance, that a user watches perhaps 8 eight hours (the kids included, of course) a day. Would this put the user over, say, 100GB for the month?

Thanks for any reply...
sirzune

Re: If I use Roku full-time, what about bandwidth usage?

Postby mikebdoss » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:04 pm

sirzune wrote:I've read that some people have gotten rid of cable and use Roku full-time. But wouldn't that make the user's bandwidth usage jump? Say, for instance, that a user watches perhaps 8 eight hours (the kids included, of course) a day. Would this put the user over, say, 100GB for the month?

Thanks for any reply...

It might. It depends entirely on what channels you're watching and the quality of the streams. If you watched nothing but HD on Netflix, you could hit 100GB in less than a week. But many other channels stream at a lower bitrate. That said, a well-used Roku will hit 100GB in a month, no problem - closer to 200 or 300GB if you're doing 8/hours a day.

Luckily, not all of us have bandwidth limits. And many of us also watch TV over-the-air, or DVDs, or other recordings...
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby sirzune » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Thank you for the reply. I just got off (Oh, you know what I mean...) with a Sudddenlink rep here in Rocky Mount, NC and was told that restrictions have yet to be implemented here. But I checked online and when the restrictions are implemented, we'll be allotted 250GB each month. Since getting the two Roku boxes our usage has gone up from and average of about 30GB to and astounding 180GB a month! After hitting our allotment we will be billed $10 per 50GBs overage. <Force equals mass times acceleration>!

Looks like Hulu Plus and a few other choices will have to be watched carefully.
sirzune

Postby RickRansom » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:15 pm

I just got off (Oh, you know what I mean...) with a Sudddenlink rep here in Rocky Mount, NC and was told that restrictions have yet to be implemented here. But I checked online and when the restrictions are implemented, we'll be allotted 250GB each month.
250GB/month should be adequate enough for most users. Since you mentioned that you actually have 2 boxes and you plan to use them for around 8 hours a day, it may or may not be enough to get you by.
Since getting the two Roku boxes our usage has gone up from and average of about 30GB to and astounding 180GB a month! After hitting our allotment we will be billed $10 per 50GBs overage. <Force equals mass times acceleration>!
If you're using Netflix, there is an option from their website to "MANAGE" the video quality so you can limit the streaming from 0.3GB per hour all the way to 2.3 GB per hour in HD. Hope this helps.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby sirzune » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:29 pm

We don't use Netflix, as our taste for movies is good enough with Hulu Plus. I'm going to keep an on my bandwidth usage via the Suddenlink portal to get handle on our usage so that if they put restrictions on us here in N.C., I'll have some gauge to work with.
sirzune

Postby mommom » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:37 am

I find its important that new cord cutters understand that old habits of keeping the tv on for background noise while you are not watching are good ones to break.
mommom

Postby catastrophegirl » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:39 am

sirzune wrote: Sudddenlink rep here in Rocky Mount, NC and was told that restrictions have yet to be implemented here. But I checked online and when the restrictions are implemented, we'll be allotted 250GB each month.

did they give you a timeframe on when they plan to implement it? do you have an option to switch to TWC or earthlink [via TWC] if/when suddenlink caps you ? Time Warner is running scared in your area because of Wilson's municipal internet and changes to the bill they [TWC] lobbied for. since the bill was passed with amendments that make it illegal for a municipality in NC to provide internet - unless they do it exactly like Wilson NC did - Time Warner has been very lenient with NC residents and there are some unadvertised packages for people who stream heavily.
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Postby krisbee » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:13 am

mommom wrote:I find its important that new cord cutters understand that old habits of keeping the tv on for background noise while you are not watching are good ones to break.

Not that mommom is wrong, she isn't. But what we do is run Roksbox and MythRokuPlayer and have our own library of stuff that doesn't go outside our network to get, so we aren't using bandwidth for nothing. I do that out of respect, too - we don't have caps here. But I also want to keep it that way! :)
krisbee

Postby mommom » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:07 am

krisbee wrote:
mommom wrote:I find its important that new cord cutters understand that old habits of keeping the tv on for background noise while you are not watching are good ones to break.

Not that mommom is wrong, she isn't. But what we do is run Roksbox and MythRokuPlayer and have our own library of stuff that doesn't go outside our network to get, so we aren't using bandwidth for nothing. I do that out of respect, too - we don't have caps here. But I also want to keep it that way! :)

Thats what we do,too.
mommom

Postby bennor3814 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:45 am

Like others have said there are several factors that will impact how much data is used from one's broadband provider when using the Roku. The speed of your broadband connection will determine if you are capable of receiving HD streams or only SD streams. The content you view on the Roku could be in either HD or SD format which will impact data rates. If you use more than one Roku at the same time will affect your data rates. And your general web surfing and software/media downloading outside of Roku use will impact data rate usage. Every one's rates will be different.

Most broadband providers now provide ways to monitor or review your data usages now that they are instituting data caps. With AT&T DSL my caps are 150 GB. AT&T does offer a calculator to estimate how much data you might use per month along with a way to see your exact usage on a per month basis.
http://www.att.com/esupport/internet/usage.jsp

So far this month billing cycle, using one Roku 2 XS on a 3 mb DSL line (SD content), watching several hours (4 to 6 hours) of content per day/night, mostly Netflix TV shows and a couple of movies along with my normal web surfing, I've used roughly 17.06 GB's of data with 17 days still left in the bill cycle. As my Roku was a Christmas gift this year, my data usage the billing cycle before using the Roku was 7.4 GB, the first billing cycle with the Roku use was 48.5 GB's.

As others have indicated if using the USB Media Player channel or one of the channels, for accessing locally stored media content on your local network, like Plex or Roksbox you will not incur data usage via your broadband provider. Its also possible with the right home theater PC setup and media center software to record over the air digital TV, trans-code it, and have Roku access and play it, again this won't impact the data rate with your broadband provider.
bennor3814

Postby robertm » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:55 am

I had us all tracking it for awhile:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38668
robertm

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion