Having difficult time hooking up Roku to surround system

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Having difficult time hooking up Roku to surround system

Postby ninfragile19 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:20 am

Newbie here with a problem that I'm sure is dogging others too. I just received my Roku 2 XS (red Angry Birds edition), have it streaming to my TV...LOVING IT! But I'm having a hard time trying to determine how I can hook it up to my surround sound so that when I watch anything from it, I can have the sound coming from my stereo speakers rather than the TV's speakers. The TV speakers aren't bad, just not very loud. My components are:

TV - Vizio 47" LCD (VL470M) - 4 HDMI inputs, composite, digital audio (optical).
Surround - Samsung HT-z320 - 1 HDMI out, 1 digital optical audio out, 2 AUX in jacks, 1 video out jack. This receiver is also the DVD player, but I have a seperate blu ray player I play discs from.
Blu Ray - Samsung BD-C5700 - 1 HDMI out, 1 digital optical audio out, composite jacks.

I'm ditching Comcast digital cable for basic, so the signal will be sourced via coaxial cable plugged into the wall, so no cable box needs to be taken into account.

I have plenty of HDMI cables, plenty of composite cables, 3 optical audio cables with a 1-in/2-out optical splitter.

How can I make this work?
ninfragile19

Re: Having difficult time hooking up Roku to surround system

Postby __5 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:53 am

Roku > HDMI > TV
Roku > RCA > Sound System (AUX in jacks)

or

Roku > HDMI > TV > Optical >Sound System (Optical in jack)

See --> # 2- Audio > Tip: Surround Sound & TV Audio Digital Out ....
Last edited by __5 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
__5
** Valued Community Member **

Postby j.m. » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:04 am

You don't have many options with that basic HTIB system.
Option 1:
Use the analog A/V cable that came with the Roku to connect the Roku to the red and white RCA audio input on the HT-z320. Connect the Roku to the TV via HDMI. Turn down the TV volume. You will get stereo or Dolby Pro Logic sound from the HT-z320. There is no way to get Dolby Digital 5.1 with this option. There may be audio or video lag.

Option 2:
Connect the Roku to the TV via HDMI. If the TV has an optical audio output, connect it to the optical input of the HT-z320. Most TVs will not pass DD 5.1 from their optical out. Even if yours does, I doubt the HT-z320 supports DD Plus, which is what Netflix uses (though I believe Amazon uses DD). So, you will probably only get digital stereo or DPL from the HT-z320 this way. Still, it is probably the best option with your current equipment.
j.m.

Postby jeffrok » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:16 pm

ninfragile19 wrote:Newbie here with a problem that I'm sure is dogging others too. I just received my Roku 2 XS (red Angry Birds edition), have it streaming to my TV...LOVING IT! But I'm having a hard time trying to determine how I can hook it up to my surround sound so that when I watch anything from it, I can have the sound coming from my stereo speakers rather than the TV's speakers. The TV speakers aren't bad, just not very loud. My components are:

TV - Vizio 47" LCD (VL470M) - 4 HDMI inputs, composite, digital audio (optical).
Surround - Samsung HT-z320 - 1 HDMI out, 1 digital optical audio out, 2 AUX in jacks, 1 video out jack. This receiver is also the DVD player, but I have a seperate blu ray player I play discs from.
Blu Ray - Samsung BD-C5700 - 1 HDMI out, 1 digital optical audio out, composite jacks.

I'm ditching Comcast digital cable for basic, so the signal will be sourced via coaxial cable plugged into the wall, so no cable box needs to be taken into account.

I have plenty of HDMI cables, plenty of composite cables, 3 optical audio cables with a 1-in/2-out optical splitter.

How can I make this work?

Get a real receiver, not a DVD/bluray combo unit.. I don't mean your receiver isn't decent, I just mean it wasn't meant for this type of setup. A true receiver will have multiple inputs and allow you to conveniently do so much more. You will also have much more audio setting control. Those things are good only for the DVD/bluray player.. Receivers are cheap enough these days (under $300 for one with HDMI), and if you add an Xbox or PS3, you'll have plenty of inputs on it for those. And make sure it is capable of Dolby Digital+ if you plan on doing Netflix's surround sound option.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion