Roku 2 XS Dual-Band Wireless?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Roku 2 XS Dual-Band Wireless?

Postby spartus4 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:50 pm

So let me get this straight. The Roku 2 XS only uses 2.4GHz wireless? If that is the case it does not have wireless n. Wireless N transmits in both 5GHz and 2.4GHz by the standard. On my router I am able to have wireless a/b/g set aside by itself on its own SSID. I have the N setup with a totally different SSID. The Roku 2 can only see the a/b/g and not the n. Someone is selling us a line of crap. The whole point of N is so it doesn't interfere with 2.4GHz electronics. Since this device does not allow 5GHz it does not meet the stardard for Wireless N. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009
spartus4

Postby dawithers » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:19 am

spartus4 wrote:So let me get this straight. The Roku 2 XS only uses 2.4GHz wireless? If that is the case it does not have wireless n. Wireless N transmits in both 5GHz and 2.4GHz by the standard. On my router I am able to have wireless a/b/g set aside by itself on its own SSID. I have the N setup with a totally different SSID. The Roku 2 can only see the a/b/g and not the n. Someone is selling us a line of crap. The whole point of N is so it doesn't interfere with 2.4GHz electronics. Since this device does not allow 5GHz it does not meet the stardard for Wireless N. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009

According to your source, 5 GHz is actually NOT required for clients to comply with the N standard.

To achieve maximum output a pure 802.11n 5 GHz network is recommended. The 5 GHz band has substantial capacity due to many non-overlapping radio channels and less radio interference as compared to the 2.4 GHz band.[7] An 802.11n-only network may be impractical for many users because they need to support legacy equipment that still is 802.11b/g only. Consequently, it may be more practical in the short term to operate a mixed 802.11b/g/n network until 802.11n hardware becomes more prevalent. In a mixed-mode system, an optimal solution would be to use a dual-radio access point and place the 802.11b/g traffic on the 2.4 GHz radio and the 802.11n traffic on the 5 GHz radio.[8] This setup assumes that all the 802.11n clients are 5 GHz capable, which isn't a requirement of the standard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009#Deployment_strategies
dawithers

Postby aaronwt » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:37 pm

spartus4 wrote:So let me get this straight. The Roku 2 XS only uses 2.4GHz wireless? If that is the case it does not have wireless n. Wireless N transmits in both 5GHz and 2.4GHz by the standard. On my router I am able to have wireless a/b/g set aside by itself on its own SSID. I have the N setup with a totally different SSID. The Roku 2 can only see the a/b/g and not the n. Someone is selling us a line of crap. The whole point of N is so it doesn't interfere with 2.4GHz electronics. Since this device does not allow 5GHz it does not meet the stardard for Wireless N. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009

Just about every consumer device that includes wireless, uses 2.4Ghz and not 5Ghz. They all say they use wireless N. Which is correct.
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS--Roku 2 XD
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
aaronwt

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:14 pm

5ghz is better for some people but it doesn't work well for most. It's simple physics, higher frequencies travel further and better in a vaccume. Lower frequencies cut through walls better but require higher power to get the same vacuume range. 5ghz is a lot less common now than it was when N started and I expect it to become a tier item. By that I mean devices with 5ghz will cost more. Kind of like how they upsell you on cars, TVs, and pretty much anything else.

Can't we just leave it at that.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby IT_Caveman_101 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:37 am

After reading all this I've decided to toss in my 2 cents worth, but only after I did extensive testing.

(1) Roku XDS is dual band, with a max connection rate of 144mbs on 2.4ghz, or 300mbs on 5ghz.

Now here is why most of you are having wifi issues with the Roku 2 models.

(1) Roku 2 is 2.4 ghz only, but quess what ???? They have capped the wifi speed to a max of 65mbs. That's right 65mbs. No matter what your router can provide the new Roku's will only connect at a max of 65mbs.

The took what would have been an excellent product and cut out 5ghz but that's not the big issue. They (to save a few pennies I suppose) capped the speed. Normally you would expect around 144mbs at 2.4ghz on "N" but they capped it at 65mbs. Half of what you would have expected. This is why you get better performance when Roku 2 XS is wired than on Wifi.

How do I know this you ask? I own 3 XDS models and they connect to my router at 240mbs to 300mbs and never have any problems. I also own a 2XS and it will never connect at better than 65mbs period. I also tested two other Roku 2's and they were the same.

Botttom line is the Roku 2 "would" have been a great device util the company decided to pinch pennies. If you have doubts I will be happy to send anyone who wants them screen shots of the speed and band tests I've done.

Roku tech support said they didn't need them. Hmmmmm, wonder why. Anyway, I'm completely satisfied with my older XDS models but the Roku 2XS is not worth the money unless you have it connected with Ethernet cable and forget about wifi.

Hope this helps someone before they decide to buy one of the new "2" models.

IT_Caveman_101

40 years in networks, PC's, MAC's, Servers, mainframes, etc, etc, .......
IT_Caveman_101

Postby kc8pql » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:00 am

Given that the fastest stream in the box is < 5Mbps (most are much slower) and the buffer only holds a few minuets of video, I fail to see a problem.
I see no difference in performance between my original N1000, my XDS, and my R2 HD, connected by wireless or wired.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby IT_Caveman_101 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:05 pm

kc8pql wrote:Given that the fastest stream in the box is < 5Mbps (most are much slower) and the buffer only holds a few minuets of video, I fail to see a problem.
I see no difference in performance between my original N1000, my XDS, and my R2 HD, connected by wireless or wired.

Are you using the devices wired or wirless? The spec sheet for the R2's show only the 2XS has having both wired and wireless as options? All my testing was done wirelessly is why I was asking.
IT_Caveman_101

Postby EnTerr » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:34 pm

IT_Caveman_101 wrote:... Now here is why most of you are having wifi issues with the Roku 2 models.
(1) Roku 2 is 2.4 ghz only, but quess what ???? They have capped the wifi speed to a max of 65mbs. That's right 65mbs. No matter what your router can provide the new Roku's will only connect at a max of 65mbs.

No, that is not why people are having problems with WiFi on Roku2. They are having the problem because in Roku2 the antennas are just etched on the circuit boards instead of being separately mounted as in Roku1. There was topic about that by a person who knows what they are talking about here a while ago.

You on the other hand make me gasp in disbelief with your rant of 65mbps being a problem, because video streaming is done at MUCH lower rates - most all streams are under 1.5 Mbps - and if you want details, when you see video playing, count the dots when Roku is buffering, it goes like this:
1 dot = 0.5 Mbps
2 dots = 0.8 Mbps
3 dots = 1.1 Mbps
4 dost > 1.1 Mbps
I don't even think Roku can play anything above 8 Mbps or is it even allowed by H.264. For such low speeds you don't need 802.11n - heck, you don't need even "g" - you can live with 802.11b, the oldest widely deployed WiFi! The 11Mbps of "b" will be able to deliver all kinds of internet streaming and more often than not the bottleneck will be your connection to the ISP.

PS. 65 Mbps is almost the maximum (72mbps) 802.11n can deliver over single 20MHz channel and IT IS FORTY TIMES MORE THAN NEEDED, so stop complaining. To get over that you have to be on 40MHz wide channel but Roku will see no benefit either way, the "pipe" it has already delivers 40x more than it can consume
EnTerr

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion