Roku 2XS vs HD-XR (N1101)

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku 2XS vs HD-XR (N1101)

Postby OnkyoMan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:57 pm

Hi guys... I can either buy a Roku HD-XR (aka the N1101) from a friend (he isn't using it any more since he bought a smart TV last year), or a new 2 XS.

I've read some posts that say not all of the old Roku channels are available on the new Roku 2's, and I have noticed a fair amount of problem reports with the 2 XS. I have a new 47" LG 3D tv and I used to use the Roku SD with my old tv, and really enjoyed all of the channels. I can get Netflix directly via the new TV, but I miss the Roku channels.

What do you guys recommend? Go with the XR or the 2 XS?

Thanks,

Matt
OnkyoMan

Re: Roku 2XS vs HD-XR (N1101)

Postby kc8pql » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:28 am

I'd get the R2. New, more capable hardware, more memory, I think a nicer UI, and it does indeed do things the R1 can't. I have two R1s and an R2. I like the R2 better.
As for problems, I don't think there are any more with the R2s than there are with the R1s. Most people have no problems at all with either. Almost all the problems with either version posted here end up being network problems.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby OnkyoMan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Thank you for your reply!! And you are not noticing any channels that arent working on the new Roku that do work on your older Roku's?

Thanks again!
OnkyoMan

Postby kc8pql » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:58 pm

OnkyoMan wrote:And you are not noticing any channels that aren't working on the new Roku that do work on your older Roku's?

No, it's the other way around, and will probably be more so as time goes buy. The R1 boxes use Version 3.XX firmware. The R2 boxes use Version 4.XX.
All channels developed for V.3 will play on V.4 firmware, but not all channels developed for V.4 firmware will play on V.3 firmware.
Probably the most notable at the moment is the V.4 Netflix channel. It has adaptive bitrate streaming (no rebuffers, you always get the best stream your connection will support) closed captioning and DD+5.1 audio that won't work on V.3 boxes.
Also note that the R2 HD and XS up-convert video to 1080p over HDMI. The R1s can't do that.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby lumberjack » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:16 am

I have a Roku 2 HD and a Roku HD-XR. The improvements between the 2 and XR are minor but after many hours of use, notable. The only reason I am keeping my XR now is because I need the component video. Once that changes definitely upgrading to an 2XS
lumberjack

Postby EnTerr » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:53 pm

kc8pql wrote:
OnkyoMan wrote:And you are not noticing any channels that aren't working on the new Roku that do work on your older Roku's?

No, it's the other way around, and will probably be more so as time goes buy. The R1 boxes use Version 3.XX firmware. The R2 boxes use Version 4.XX.
All channels developed for V.3 will play on V.4 firmware, but not all channels developed for V.4 firmware will play on V.3 firmware.
Probably the most notable at the moment is the V.4 Netflix channel. It has adaptive bitrate streaming (no rebuffers, you always get the best stream your connection will support) closed captioning and DD+5.1 audio that won't work on V.3 boxes.
Also note that the R2 HD and XS up-convert video to 1080p over HDMI. The R1s can't do that.

Seems to me you are wrong on multiple points:
- You don't want to "up-convert" video to 1080p. If it comes in lower resolution your TV already know how to upconvert that to its native resolution. If you meant that a player supports 1080p, then Roku2 HD ain't it but Roku HD-XR is it. In Roku2 those are the models XD and XS, in Roku1 - HD-XR, XD and XS, see table here http://support.roku.com/entries/2034591 ... yer-models

- The statement that *any* channel developed for FW3 will work with FW4 is wrong. There are differences in hardware between Roku and Roku2 (one is MIPS, other is ARM cpu), so binaries are completely incompatible between the two and so is firmware. Channels that are written in "BrightScript" using the publicly available SDK generally work on both platforms. Channels that are in native code work only on the platform they are compiled and released for (e.g. Angry Birds on Roku2).

- Roku1 DOES support DD 5.1, "Dolby Digital" AKA Dolby AC-3 (see the table linked above). What it does not support is a later development http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital_Plus - "DD+" or "E-AC-3" - which is supported in Roku2 but NOT compatible with optical audio (S/PDIF), so if you system relies on optical cable, Roku2 is not for you

- The adaptive bitrate streaming is not necessarily a blessing, search the forum to see many threads complaining how Roku2 starts Netflix movies in blocky, inferior quality. I know the theory that adaptive should get the best experience but practice may differ.
EnTerr

Postby FX4 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:40 pm

^^What he said, but I will say I like the adaptive bit rate because it beats the heck out of getting a stream that starts slow with marginal picture and stays that way. At least on my system it almost always starts with an SD looking picture but after a minute or so it looks great. I have all three generations of Roku and can safely say the HD-XR has the worst picture of the bunch. What I do like about it is the optical out and component video. HDMI ain't all that if you no what I mean.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby Alfmeister » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:53 pm

It depends on what you want to watch and the connection method. If you can connect directly with a CAT5 I would get the XR because then you can use the PLEX server to stream video, music and pictures to your TV. Currently there are some issues streaming non native format video from PLEX to the Roku 2 (such as avi files.) The XR uses older firmware that seems to work well right now with the PLEX server. PLEX has been busy adding capabilities so now music and photos all work and the latest PLEX Beta channel streams without recoding videos that are native to the Roku so mp4 files look great. For wireless connections though I recommend the Roku 2 which I use because the adaptive streaming is better than having the picture start out great and then rebuffer with a crappy picture. The hardware in the Roku 2 also handles mkv hd files (h264, DD or DTS) very well.
Alfmeister

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion