How to sync two HD410?

For discussion of the Roku BrightSign digital signage product.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

How to sync two HD410?

Postby Jakob H. Andersen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:56 pm

I would like to play two eaqually long video files in sync on two different HD410 units. When the playback is complete, they should start playback again.
To ensure that they stay in sync during a whole day, I assume that you would need some sort of link between them, so that they 'agree' on when to start each playback. Does anybody know how to do this?
Best regards Jakob.
Jakob H. Andersen

Re: How to sync two HD410?

Postby RokuLyndon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:00 am

Lookj at this thread..

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28664&start=15

I added a script, and a cable spec.
RokuLyndon

Postby Jakob H. Andersen » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:23 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, and for the scripts and cable diagram :) .
I am not that used to interpreting such a diagram and therefore I am a bit confused. :roll:
If I just want two HD410 units to sync through the GPIO (one master and one slave), which pins should then be connected?
- I know that it is probably obvious, but I am not that strong on electrics, and I just want to make sure that I don't set anything on
fire or accidently electrocute someone. :wink:
Best regards and thanks in advance.
Jakob.
Jakob H. Andersen

Postby RokuLyndon » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:25 pm

It's like a crossover connection.

The master's output must be connected to the slaves input.

Each output from the master can be connected to up to 3 slaves' input.

YOu need to connect a pin for one of the gpios, for example, pin 15 is button 0. And, you also need to connect one of ground pins. So, you can go master 15 to slave 15, and master 14(Ground) to slave 14.
RokuLyndon

Postby Jakob H. Andersen » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:41 pm

Thank you once again :D .
Jakob H. Andersen

Postby Jakob H. Andersen » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi again.
I am still a bit confused...
According to the hardware guide, a gpio input is registered by making encolsures from input to ground:
In order to connect a switch, connect one side of the switch to the switch input, and connect the other side of the switch to one of the ground pins on the DB25 connector

In the connection you suggested - pin 14 (ground) to pin 14 and pin 15 (button 0) to pin 15 - you will not get such an enclosure between input and ground.
Rather it will be an enclosure between input (on the slave) and 3.3v (when master's output is set to high). How can this have the same effect?
Best regards Jakob.
Jakob H. Andersen

Postby RokuLyndon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:14 pm

Please download the hardware manual for the brightsign. THe pages on the gpio explain exactly how the pinouts and connections work.
RokuLyndon

Postby allanhughes » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:02 am

I'm resurrecting this thread in the hopes that it may be the answer to an issue I posted yesterday but I have a few questions.
Regarding the scripts that are linked to in the above post:
Is the link still correct? It connects to a script folder called "1VideoGPio"
Are they compatible with the current firmware version 3.5.77?
Also I cannot see any cable spec or diagram, can that be re-posted please.
allanhughes

Postby RokuLyndon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:36 am

RokuLyndon

Postby allanhughes » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:54 am

thanks for replying.
I've tried the '1VideoGPio' script and it will not start up the slave unit. I'll put this down to the wiring of the GPIO cable. I've tried two variations, the first, which is the configuration I had been using with the 'gpiosync-pre' script looks like this (Master on left Slave on right - GPIO button numbers, not pin numbers):

4----2
1----1
0----0
0V---0V

And the second, which I inferred from the wiring diagram you posted, looks like this:

2----2
0----0
0V---0V

Neither worked with the '1VideoGPio' script.
allanhughes

Postby allanhughes » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:02 am

I was wondering if I could get some assistance with this '1VideoGPio' script and wiring diagram. I cannot seem to get it to work. I'm having difficulty deciphering the wiring pdf.
Basically, which 'button' numbers on the GPIO cable need to be wired together for both a two unit and a three unit synchronised installation?
That's 'button' numbers, not the 'pin' numbers. I currently have two HD410s that I use for a video installation but am looking to pick up a third for a new video work. In both the two unit and three unit versions, each unit would have a different video that would run in sync and loop, each video being, frame for frame, the same length and same format.
I had an open request dialogue going by email with brightsign support but they closed the issue without resolving it and they've not reopened it despite my asking.
allanhughes

Postby RokuLyndon » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:49 am

I'll take a look at your case that was closed.
RokuLyndon

Postby allanhughes » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:56 am

My case was closed again, due to "3 days of inactivity". I've been trying to get an answer to this since the start of November 2011. I have the wiring diagram and currently have my GPIO cable wired like this:

MASTER SLAVE
0V(GND)------------0V(GND)
button0(pin15)------0V (GND) i have also tried leaving this slave pin unconnected
button2(pin13)------button0(pin15)

This isn't working. There is obviously something in the wiring I am not understanding from the diagram.
I have tested both units as master and slave by shorting pin15 to ground and in either configuration both units respond and the video starts manually.

The real rub of this is that I am looking to buy a third 410 unit and run a three screen synchronised installation but can't until I can figure out the wiring and get this scrip to run on two units.
allanhughes

Postby allanhughes » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:44 am

I should say that I'm not using a spst switch, as shown in the diagram. If I'm understanding the diagram, should I have a wire connected from pin14 to pin15 on the Master DB15 socket (a short wire between button 0 and 0V)?

Edit to say: I tried that and it didn't work.
allanhughes

Postby RokuLyndon » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm forwarding you a wiring diagram that we used to use when gpio sync was more common.
https://www.brightsignnetwork.com/downl ... OMPACT.pdf
RokuLyndon

Next

Return to BrightSign General Discussion