Getting Hulu Plus and Hulu on Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Getting Hulu Plus and Hulu on Roku

Postby RunningBest » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:11 pm

I am a new user to Roku. In my set up I opted for Hulu Plus, thinking it would have the same channel offerings as Hulu. I am frustrated because "Hulu Plus" does not have all the channels as Hulu. $7.99 for what?! :x Is there a way to just get Hulu on Roku or will I be a hostage of "Hulu Plus" forever. :?:
Last edited by RunningBest on Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RunningBest

Re: Getting Hulu Plus and Hulu on Roku

Postby RokuShawnS » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:12 pm

HuluPlus is authorized to be streamed on the Roku and other streaming devices. Regular Hulu is only available from the web.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby mikebdoss » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:15 pm

Hulu+ also offers more full seasons, newer, more recent episodes of some shows, and some exclusive content. Basically, it's how Hulu separates the stuff they're contractually allowed to show on Set Top Boxes like the Roku. If it's not on Hulu+, then Hulu doesn't even have the right to show it to you on a TV, as dictated by the owners of the material (production companies, networks, and a combination of other rights-holders).

The best way around this is connecting a PC to your TV.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RunningBest » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:25 pm

Thank RokuShawnS
RunningBest

Postby RunningBest » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:28 pm

MikebDoss
I see the need for Hulu+ but, it's would be nice if Hulu+ and Hulu (online) content were the same...
RunningBest

Postby DBDukes » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:30 pm

RunningBest wrote:I am new user to Roku. In my set up I opted for Hulu Plus, thinking it would have the same channel offerings as Hulu. I am frustrated because "Hulu Plus" does not have all the channels as Hulu.

Hulu vs Hulu+

Hulu (or Hulu Standard/Free) has a catalog of shows that are available for free viewing on a computer, in a Web browser or using the Hulu Desktop application (from Hulu Labs).

Hulu+ (or Hulu Plus) has a different catalog of shows that are available for viewing on a computer, in a Web browser or using the Hulu Desktop application (from Hulu Labs), or on devices such as Roku, tablets (iPad, etc), smart phones (iPhone, Droid, etc).

A Hulu+ subscription ($8/month) adds the the Hulu+ catalog to your viewing capabilities. It does not get you the ability to view Hulu Standard/Free content outside a Web browser/Hulu Desktop method.

RunningBest wrote: $7.99 for what?! :x Is there a way to just get Hulu on Roku or will I be a hostage of "Hulu Plus" forever. :?:

The $7.99 is for a separate catalog of shows. These shows have the additional advantage of being able to be viewed on a device (Roku, etc). It is not for the ability to view Hulu Standard/Free content on a non-computer device.

Why?

You didn't ask why, but here's an answer anyway. The people that own the shows don't allow some content to be viewed on a device/outside a browser/Desktop app. Hulu doesn't control this. And, of course, neither does Roku.

Oh, and like you, I really really really want to be able to watch standard content on a device, rather than on a computer. But, then, I want several things I don't get.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby jeffrok » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:40 pm

Just to be clear, there is some overlap both ways. Some of the content on Hulu is also on Hulu+, but each has its own unique content as well.

You're basically paying for Hulu+ for the ability to easily watch content on your TV or other Hulu+ compatible device. Don't blame Roku or any other device maker- this was Hulu's decision.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby mikebdoss » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:30 pm

RunningBest wrote:MikebDoss
I see the need for Hulu+ but, it's would be nice if Hulu+ and Hulu (online) content were the same...

...and we all just told you why that can't be.
mikebdoss

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm not picking on the OP, but we see this a lot. People want something and don't understand why they can't have it. Hulu on the Roku would cost a fortune because the way the rights work. Much of Hulu content isn't even on Hulu but instead imbedded so the content owner has total control. Just like the people asking for Hulu to be commercial free don't realize how much an episode of Bones would cost alone much less all the new programing.

No one would pay the price it would cost.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby j.m. » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:15 pm

What's really frustrating about the ridiculous stance of Hulu and/or the rights owners is the arbitrariness of it. I can (and do) have an HTPC connected to my TV and can watch Hulu on it very easily. Hulu even provides a Windows app that has a 10-foot interface designed for TVs and works with a Media Center remote (or my Harmony). My very capable HTPC is only a little bigger than my cable STB and smaller than my AVR. I put it together using off the shelf components. A custom, integrated HTPC can be even smaller--not Roku small yet but small enough. A laptop with an HDMI out makes iteasy to display Hulu on TV also. Here's the thing: Roku is a computer also and a TV is not much more than a monitor with a tuner. What difference does it make whether I watch on my TV via HTPC or Roku as long as Roku keeps all advertising in place? None, other than the requirement of an HTPC or laptop with HDMI simply imposes a barrier to access that I guess Hulu and/or the content providers like. It is extremely anti-consumer and short-sighted. They should WANT more people to use Roku and similar devices to watch their content because then they will have exact viewership totals and can sell ads and make decisions accordingly.
j.m.

Postby mikebdoss » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:32 pm

j.m. wrote:What's really frustrating about the ridiculous stance of Hulu and/or the rights owners is the arbitrariness of it. I can (and do) have an HTPC connected to my TV and can watch Hulu on it very easily. Hulu even provides a Windows app that has a 10-foot interface designed for TVs and works with a Media Center remote (or my Harmony). My very capable HTPC is only a little bigger than my cable STB and smaller than my AVR. I put it together using off the shelf components. A custom, integrated HTPC can be even smaller--not Roku small yet but small enough. A laptop with an HDMI out makes iteasy to display Hulu on TV also. Here's the thing: Roku is a computer also and a TV is not much more than a monitor with a tuner. What difference does it make whether I watch on my TV via HTPC or Roku as long as Roku keeps all advertising in place? None, other than the requirement of an HTPC or laptop with HDMI simply imposes a barrier to access that I guess Hulu and/or the content providers like. It is extremely anti-consumer and short-sighted. They should WANT more people to use Roku and similar devices to watch their content because then they will have exact viewership totals and can sell ads and make decisions accordingly.

Because 95% of people will never use a HTPC or connect a computer to their television. But (almost) everyone who uses a Roku or other set-top box does. They content owners are assuming, quite correctly, that people will find a different way to watch shows than on their computer.

Also, some of these agreements were signed years ago, when streaming wasn't what it is today, and when no computers had HDMI-out, and before every copy of Windows came with WMC.

It's all dumb to me, for the reasons you listed. But content owners are dumb, too, and feel chained to old methods. It's just the way it is right now.
mikebdoss

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:06 pm

I think it's less dumb than it's wishful thinking. They know they can't logistically block it from TVs since computers make no distinction based on monitor size. They are doing the only next thing they can and block the easy access to the TV.
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Postby j.m. » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:55 pm

mikebdoss--Agreed, though with the proliferation of laptops and TVs with HDMI I think you'd be surprised who all is using that as a means of watching Hulu, Netflix, etc. on the TV. In any event, if the concern is an increase in viewer numbers due to availability via Roku etc., negotiate and draft license agreements accordingly. Likewise, if the concern is controlling delivery method (ensuring ads are displayed etc.), draft license agreements accordingly. If a device (be it Roku or whatever) can't or won't deliver the content in the desired way with ads etc., then it doesn't get Hulu. This is all solveable but, as you note, they are just stuck on old ways. It hurts them and the consumer.
j.m.

Postby j.m. » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:01 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:I think it's less dumb than it's wishful thinking. They know they can't logistically block it from TVs since computers make no distinction based on monitor size. They are doing the only next thing they can and block the easy access to the TV.

The question is why do they want to block it at all? If they don't want people to be able to watch content through Hulu, then they shouldn't make it available on any device including PC. If they do, then they should make it available on as many devices as possible and solve the issues such as requirement of ad display and adequate price paid for rights through technology and their agreements.
j.m.

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:42 pm

j.m. wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:I think it's less dumb than it's wishful thinking. They know they can't logistically block it from TVs since computers make no distinction based on monitor size. They are doing the only next thing they can and block the easy access to the TV.

The question is why do they want to block it at all? If they don't want people to be able to watch content through Hulu, then they shouldn't make it available on any device including PC. If they do, then they should make it available on as many devices as possible and solve the issues such as requirement of ad display and adequate price paid for rights through technology and their agreements.

I understand that but answering those questions is about as easy as solving world hunger. How much should Hulu charge? Well for all content it would be probably 50 dollars a month. Most people won't pay that yet those same people constantly ask for it.

Right now Hulu is in a precarious situation. They are allowed to have limited advertising and limited content. The studios would actually prefer you didn't watch their shows at all as to watching them on Hulu because TV viewing is totally in their control (and zone of comfort). Hulu is offering money to get what they can, but only so much as to keep the ad load small and the Plus price low. If they go too far one way they don't have the content we need, too far the other and people refuse to pay.

In short the studios want

1- more ads, lots more. Not only for revenue but to make viewing on Hulu time out to the same that viewing on TV is. Hulu is cannibalizing TV viewing due to it's lower ad volume (or so the studios seem to think)

2- more control of what devices you can use. Computers are seen as niche items for those away from a TV. TVs are for the real money. If they could find a way to block HTPC or limit monitor size they would certainly do it.
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion