Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Can Roku generate a JPG or PNG file?

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Hmm - seems like you could just pop an ImageCanvas on top of your posterscreen and display whatever you want there - text etc.

Will that text move (scroll) with the "poster" elements while user navigates left/right/up/down in roGridScreen?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

No, the control shifts to the screen that is on "top" so you would have to capture the remote input in your image canvas, close the canvas, make your move on the grid with setFocusedListItem and then pop the canvas back up over the grid.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
No, the control shifts to the screen that is on "top" so you would have to capture the remote input in your image canvas, close the canvas, make your move on the grid with setFocusedListItem and then pop the canvas back up over the grid.

So no, it is no good. Inventive but useless; you are thinking of something that you needed perhaps but it does not relate to having posters with text on them and said posters moving smooth as they tend to, no jerking and some text flickering on and off on top.

Just imagine I want to show list of n>5 folders/categories by name and choose from those and I don't know them in advance (so can't pre-render them). Showing same generic poster of a folder or a book is bad UI in the case.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

So, what you probably need to do is create your own ui using the 2D Api's - roScreen/roBitmap etc.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
So, what you probably need to do is create your own ui using the 2D Api's - roScreen/roBitmap etc.

Maybe: Is there an example of that being done in BS - scrolling most of the screen smoothly and sliding new parts on screen - no matter if that is a sample or production channel?

But barring that, probably is better to focus on realistic approach like being able to save roBitmap to JPEG. A note on roGridScreen fw>2.8 says that "File types of .png and .gif files are now supported, though they are converted internally to .jpg by the roGridScreen so they have a performance penalty" so it would seem as if store-as-jpeg functionality/library is already included in the code and if it is added as roBitmap.save(), that would be a) easy and b) have broader use than text on posters.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
"RokuJoel" wrote:

Maybe: Is there an example of that being done in BS - scrolling most of the screen smoothly and sliding new parts on screen - no matter if that is a sample or production channel?

Take a look at the "Full CD Listening Party" in the AOL HD channel. The whole screen is rendered using BrightScript (including the horizontal scroll of the cover art carousel, and the vertical scroll of the playlist).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:

Take a look at the "Full CD Listening Party" in the AOL HD channel. The whole screen is rendered using BrightScript (including the horizontal scroll of the cover art carousel, and the vertical scroll of the playlist).

Interesting - though it is only 1/3 of the screen and the selection blinks funky from selection to selection (does not stay smooth in one place like with gridScreen). i am also impressed by the track list underneath

how do you know this is BS and not C?
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

You may also want to look at the "scroll" sample program.

--Mark
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:

Interesting - though it is only 1/3 of the screen and the selection blinks funky from selection to selection (does not stay smooth in one place like with gridScreen). i am also impressed by the track list underneath

It's actually meant to have an "elastic" scrolling effect. It's much smoother on the Roku 2 than the Roku 1, but the lack of smooth scrolling like the grid screen is intentional, not a limitation of the roScreen or Brightscript.

"EnTerr" wrote:
how do you know this is BS and not C?
😉
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
2. Can you put a feature request for this to be done? I.e. allow saving image locally in a format which is both easy to implement and roGridScreen&co will feel comfortable as poster (i seem to remember it may take PNG/GIF but will convert to JPG) - or alternatively have a way to provide TEXT as poster blot

The request is already in the system, just followed up, the more really useful use-cases for this sort of thing there are, the higher likelihood of it actually happening.

Is there any progress on this, RokuJoel?
I find myself today wanting to show non-prerendered/app-generated posters in roGridScreen and with no way for that.
Something must have happened during those two years; any notes, updates - even if it were deemed "ain't gonna happen", that's helpful to know too.
0 Kudos