Change DHCP Host Name?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Change DHCP Host Name?

Postby dabomb4097 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:30 pm

Is it possible to change the DHCP hostname the Roku box reports? Right now it shows up in the router as "NP-13C1A50752751" which is hardly descriptive enough for an OCD net admin like me. Can I change that somehow to something descriptive like "Roku" ? :p
dabomb4097

Re: Change DHCP Host Name?

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:36 pm

dabomb4097 wrote:Is it possible to change the DHCP hostname the Roku box reports? Right now it shows up in the router as "NP-13C1A50752751" which is hardly descriptive enough for an OCD net admin like me. Can I change that somehow to something descriptive like "Roku" ? :p

I do not believe it is possible. That number is actually fairly descriptive as it is the Roku's serial number. It uniquely identifies your Roku.
Gilgamesh

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:46 pm

NP means Netflix Player I assume. Be lucky that it lists itself at all. The Logitech Revue and my Cannon Pixma both list as -- which is super annoying. It makes checking for intruders very difficult when I look at my router logs. The Pixma may be leaving the house because of that despite it being a <Force equals mass times acceleration> good printer.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:06 am

mkiker2089 wrote:NP means Netflix Player I assume.

^ This :)

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby jeffrok » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:59 am

I remember when the Roku was the Netflix player.. It was pretty cool when they added Amazon Video. OK, now I'm just acting like an ol' timer.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby atheling » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:15 am

I've got enough gear that doesn't properly identify itself by name for DHCP that I figure it is a generic issue.

My home grown solution, which maybe specific to the DHCP and DNS servers I am using, is to find out the MAC address of each new device I bring home and then make a static entry in the DHCP server for it. The server also allows a name to be associated with static entries so that is one ID. And then I use that static IP address for the internal DNS server so I can get to the device by name using a web browser, telnet or whatever the device supports.

Anything that I don't setup that way (visiting or unknown devices) are assigned an IP in a limited range of values which the DNS server has as DHCP-nnn where nnn is the last octet of the IP address. Makes it pretty easy to look for unauthorized devices in the logs.
atheling

Postby blue_94_trooper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:08 am

mkiker2089 wrote: The Pixma may be leaving the house because of that despite it being a <Force equals mass times acceleration> good printer.

Why wouldn't you just create a DHCP reservation for it?
SoundBridge M500
PhotoBridge HD1000 rev. B (retired)
Roku 2 XS
Roku XD
blue_94_trooper

Postby gonzotek » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:38 am

blue_94_trooper wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote: The Pixma may be leaving the house because of that despite it being a <Force equals mass times acceleration> good printer.

Some (most in my experience) home routers will let you set a DHCP reservation, but won't let you change the dns name registration of the device. So if it says it's np-1234567890, that's what it is. What you could do in this situation is set the dhcp res. on the router and then add an entry to the system's hosts file (see the hosts (file) wikipedia article to find it on your operating system). This is workaround for many systems, but not all.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:24 pm

gonzotek wrote:
blue_94_trooper wrote:

Some (most in my experience) home routers will let you set a DHCP reservation, but won't let you change the dns name registration of the device. So if it says it's np-1234567890, that's what it is. What you could do in this situation is set the dhcp res. on the router and then add an entry to the system's hosts file (see the hosts (file) wikipedia article to find it on your operating system). This is workaround for many systems, but not all.

this is the case with my router. I can make reservations for them but can't rename them. Netgear software isn't the best however and there isn't a homebrew yet for the n150.

I'll have to do more research on the hosts file. I'm not sure how to do that on this router. I'm not sure if it has a local host file.

edit--

Just to be clear, I rename them in the form where I make the reservation and the name sticks there. In the logs and on the "attatched devices" screen however it uses the name sent by the device, which is -- for the Revue and Canon Pixma. Actually changing the host name isn't that common but luckily most devices announce themselves in some unique way by default. Roku using it's serial number is good for multi- Roku homes.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby dwanthny » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:05 am

atheling wrote:My home grown solution, which maybe specific to the DHCP and DNS servers I am using, is to find out the MAC address of each new device I bring home and then make a static entry in the DHCP server for it. The server also allows a name to be associated with static entries so that is one ID. And then I use that static IP address for the internal DNS server so I can get to the device by name using a web browser, telnet or whatever the device supports.

I use TomatoUSB (toastman) open source firmware on my router and do the same as you. I identify the items by changing the host name field in the static dhcp table. It makes reviewing the bandwidth and IP traffic reports easier too.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion