New (Private) Fox Business Channel Rocks!

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

New (Private) Fox Business Channel Rocks!

Postby chris0071 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:46 am

I just wanted to offer my thanks to the developers of the new private Fox Business channel. Well done guys. Thank you very much! :D
chris0071

Re: New (Private) Fox Business Channel Rocks!

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:04 pm

^ Do you have a link? What is the code?
Fox Business isn't among the offerings in the regular Fox News channel in the Roku Channel Store, and I can't find Fox Business listed in the four or five Roku private channel websites I have, and a search here doesn't seem to have a post about it.

- -
Edit: I found it. It's a "best of," but it's current. The code is FOXBIZ
– –
first-generation Roku XD|S (2100X), composite connection to old 4:3 CRT SDTV
Schmye Bubbula

Postby agmark » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:00 pm

chris0071 wrote:I just wanted to offer my thanks to the developers of the new private Fox Business channel. Well done guys. Thank you very much! :D

Thanks Chris! I appreciate the feedback. It's technically still a beta release, but seems pretty solid. There are a few minor issues I need to clean up, but overall it's been working good. I'll try to fix some things and publish them in the near future. I welcome any feedback. I'm also working on another financial channel that I hope to publish before too long. I'd consider it in "alpha" stage at this point :) It's more of a proof of concept channel that pushes the Roku envelope further. Check the great blog from catastrophegirl at:
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/ from time to time. She's great about keeping the channel list updated.

Glad you found it Schmye. The full link is: https://owner.roku.com/add/FOXBIZ
agmark

Postby chris0071 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:08 am

The only issue I have is that it is slow to navigate from the menu, but if I play a video, then go left or right, it switches right away. That's kinda weird. Other than that, I really appreciate the channel, and I do like the ability to watch all new videos.
chris0071

Postby dwanthny » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:07 am

agmark wrote:Thanks Chris! I appreciate the feedback. It's technically still a beta release, but seems pretty solid. There are a few minor issues I need to clean up, but overall it's been working good. I'll try to fix some things and publish them in the near future. I welcome any feedback. I'm also working on another financial channel that I hope to publish before too long. I'd consider it in "alpha" stage at this point :) It's more of a proof of concept channel that pushes the Roku envelope further.

I love what you done here and with Rightway TV. I have recently been watching the exact feed you created in the same manner using the Sunimi channel. The nice thing about your feed and the ones on Sunimi is you can watch straight through. Someone (for all I know it could have been you) on the Sunimi channel has created a series of Fox News feeds. I don't know how you can specify the mp4 rss feed but here are the public feeds available on that channel. Most seem to have Fox' individual 21 or 28 video feed. Just to give you ideas the shows on the Sunimi channel are listed below.

Fox Business (same feed you use)
Bulls & Bears (mistitled, actually After the Bell)
Cavuto on Business
Imus in the Morning
Stossel
Varney & Company

Fox News (Latest feed like the Fox Business)

Cost of Freedom (7 episodes)
Fox News Sunday
Geraldo at Large
Huckabee
Housecall
Fox News Watch
Hollywood Nation
Lips & Ears

On The Record
Hannity
The O'Reilly Factor
Studio B
Special Report
Neil Cavuto
Common Sense - Neil Cavuto
Fox Report w/Sheppard Smith
"Must See" news stories from Fox News Mobile
Fox & Friends

Then a whole series of playlists from various shows based on topic:
Health
Entertainment
Faith
Law
Leisure
Politics
SciTech
U.S.
World
Web Originals

Looking forward to what else you create.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby agmark » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:54 pm

I'll be uploading a new version of the Fox Business channel on Roku this evening (if everything works out). I think you'll like the added content that's available :) I know I'm missing a few things, but I wanted to get this up for everyone to try since the performance is so much better than the current release. You'll notice a dramatic speed improvement when moving between videos. Hopefully what we've done will take care of that issue. Also, the list of show videos may not be in any final order and in some cases may not link to the correct videos, but that will be easily fixed within a day or so as long as there aren't any bugs I have to work out. I had to make a few big changes to go from a single feed Fox Business only channel to an Everything Fox channel so it's possbile there are some things not working exactly right. I'll keep the art work and name as Fox Business for now. Maybe change it to Fox On Roku or some other really clever name later. haha
Thanks for your content suggeestions and comments. Also thanks to bt for the valuable assistance. Let me know what you think or if you run into something. Like I said, it's not quite a final release product but close enough to be useful and definately performs better than the current version.

Mark
agmark

Postby Captainbob » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:27 am

I don't see the Imus show listed on Fox Business News Channel as of this morning, where is it located?
Captainbob

Postby agmark » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:49 pm

Captainbob wrote:I don't see the Imus show listed on Fox Business News Channel as of this morning, where is it located?

Imus has been added. I won't be able to confirm it's working for a couple hours. Had to add it to the Fox News shows so you should find it there.
agmark

Postby rakattakpat » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:56 pm

amazing job indeed rightway... but is there any chance of getting the five thrown in the lineup?
rakattakpat

Postby agmark » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:59 pm

rakattakpat wrote:amazing job indeed rightway... but is there any chance of getting the five thrown in the lineup?

On the top of my todo list. It should be on now. I also had to upload a new version of the channel this afternoon to fix a couple bugs. One was to get the live stream working since I had previously broke it. You can do the channel store open/close routine to get it.

Thanks for the comments!
agmark

Postby dwanthny » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:11 am

The default viewing is newest clip to oldest. Is there any possibility to get the ability play the feeds from oldest to newest?
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby renojim » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:32 am

I've tried this channel multiple times on my Roku 1 and 2 and all it does is crash after "Requesting new feed...".

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby belltown » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:49 am

renojim wrote:I've tried this channel multiple times on my Roku 1 and 2 and all it does is crash after "Requesting new feed...".

-JT

Same here, and I just did another Channel Store update. I'm running a Roku 1 with the 3.1/1011 firmware.
belltown

Postby agmark » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:39 pm

Hum, now that's strange! I just checked and every feed I opened retrieved just fine. I don't have a Roku 1 so I can't verify that, but it's working on my 2. What particular show where you trying to retrieve? Could it possibly be a file size issue? I don't happen to know how big the channel is but I'll check on that. Anyone else having problems? I'd like to figure this one out.
agmark

Postby agmark » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:48 pm

I've seen the Fox Business feed act flakey from time to time so if you're seeing that problem on the FBN feed then that could very well be the problem. I just had it happen again where the requesting new feed timed out. After a minute of scratching my head, I tried it again and it grabbed the videos just fine. Are you guys seeing it only on the FBN side or everything?

Application size reported when I load it on a Roku 2: Application Received: 522899 bytes stored. I don't believe this would limit the channel to a 2 unless maybe the users box is loaded up with channels and just doesn't have the space. Is that a possibility?
Last edited by agmark on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agmark

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion