One Roku Two TVs

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

One Roku Two TVs

Postby michele » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:55 pm

Is there any way to hook up one roku box to two televisions? Dish Network can do this with their systems, but I dont know how it would work with the roku. My son said I would just need a splitter. We just recently dropped cable and I am new to all of this. Thanks in advance for any help!
michele

Re: One Roku Two TVs

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:59 pm

michele wrote:Is there any way to hook up one roku box to two televisions? Dish Network can do this with their systems, but I dont know how it would work with the roku. My son said I would just need a splitter. We just recently dropped cable and I am new to all of this. Thanks in advance for any help!

You could do it with a splitter, but you'd be watching the same programming on both TVs. You need separate Rokus for each TV if you want to watch different programming.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: One Roku Two TVs

Postby DBDukes » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:14 am

michele:
While $49 isn't something you'd want to spend if you don't have to, it's a one-time expense for the ability to watch online content on a second TV. Yes, you could spend more -- $59. $79, or $99 -- depending on what features you want (1080p instead of 720p, remote for games, etc), but the basic $49 model might suffice.

If you have a Netflix account, you can tie it to a second Roku. They'd share the same user queue, but you can watch separate content on each TV. Same thing with Hulu+. You won't need a second account; you can tie your Hulu+ account to the second Roku. Again, same shared queue, as with Netflix, and you can watch separate content on the second TV.

I have a second Roku on a second TV. I don't use it much, but it's nice to have if I want. If your situation is one of two primary TVs -- for instance, one the parents watch, and another that the kids primarily watch -- then a second Roku may be best way to go.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion