Connecting an AV Receiver with a Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Connecting an AV Receiver with a Roku

Postby kayembee » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:42 am

I am in the midst of purchasing a Roku 2. I have read all about the fact that connecting the Roku directly to the TV does not allow you to take advantage of your Home Theatre set up. I also have DIRECTV. I will have to keep DIRECTV because without it I have no TV reception. My Samsung DLP TV has an HDMI connection. My Onkyo TX-SR703 AV Receiver does not have an HDMI connection. So I am wondering how to connect my Roku so that I can take advantage of my Home Theatre set up. My brother indicated that he bought a 3 channel switch for about $15 that allows him to switch between the DIRECTV signal to the Roku because in his case they are using the same input. I am not sure if I will have that same issue, but to be safe I will probably purchase the switch. My TV has two HDMI inputs - HDMI IN 2 and HDMI / DVI Input. The front of the receiver has a connection for Digital Input, S Video Input, Video Input and L and R audio Input.

How would you suggest I hook up my system so that I can take advantage of my Home Theatre system? I look forward to hearing from you...

Karen
kayembee

Re: Connecting an AV Receiver with a Roku

Postby atheling » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:40 am

If you are only using one HDMI input on your TV then you can simply plug the Roku into the other. However you won't be able to use DD+ unless your TV supports decoding it.
atheling

Postby kayembee » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:46 am

Thanks for replying to my post. Unfortunately I am not sure what you meant by "you won't be able to use DD+ unless your TV supports decoding it."
kayembee

Postby philsoft » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:49 am

kayembee wrote:Thanks for replying to my post. Unfortunately I am not sure what you meant by "you won't be able to use DD+ unless your TV supports decoding it."

You will only get stereo sound rather than Dolby Digital Plus
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby j.m. » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:18 pm

Without buying extra hardware, your 2 options appear to be:
1) Roku to TV via HDMI + TV audio out to receiver via optical, digital coaxial, or analog audio (red and white).
2) Roku to TV via HDMI, Roku to receiver via analog audio.

Both options will likely get you only stereo, as the TV probably won't pass Dolby Digital via the digital audio out...
j.m.

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion