XfinityTV Streampix Service

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

XfinityTV Streampix Service

Postby SkOrPn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:21 pm

Hello again everyone.

Today I got a letter in the mail from Comcast telling me of a new streaming product they are releasing called Streampix and that it should be avail by the end of the Month (If not already). Since this will be available on PC, Laptops, Android, iPad, iPhone and iPod, I am wondering if this is something that can be added to the Roku players? OR does this require an SDK from Comcast to be released to the Roku developers? Streaming directly from my ISP to my HDTV sounds good, but Id like to see if the Roku hardware could also do this task. All that is required is to have at least a Blast Plus tier, or select HD Tripple Play packages and then just login at http://www.xfinityTV.com. I am a Blast Plus subscriber, with only basic TV as I do mostly just Netflix Streaming... Streampix is free, unless you do not qualify with the packages above, and in that case its unlimited Streaming for just $4.99 a month. Not exactly sure on content availability as of yet though and if its even worth it.

For more info visit http://www.comcast.com/streampix

Can someone from Roku please comment on this possible Streampix channel? Is it possible? Thanks for having such a great product. I have been a Roku user ever since the very first device was released and have enjoyed every streaming minute of it. Thank You!

Best Regards
SkOrPn
SkOrPn

Re: XfinityTV Streampix Service

Postby RickRansom » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:05 pm

Just a little something from a different thread from the OFF-TOPIC forums:
SCOREtv.TV wrote:It's been nearly a week and everyone in the Media has commented that Comcast Xfinity Streampix is a direct competitor to NetFlix. NetFlix stock has gone down, and statements that it won't be able to compete with Comcast are just ridiculous.

I found this great article by Michael Stroud that explains why NetFlix has nothing to fear from Comcast. Comcast Xfinity Streampix is a last dish effort to survive by a Cable operator.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/ ... 8120120224

Both companies have 20 million-plus subscribers and would love to cannibalize each other's viewers.

But Streampix and Netflix are fundamentally different plays. Streampix is currently offered only to Comcast customers, and its main purpose, if I read the news right, is to prevent churn -- subscribers flying to services like, well, Netflix. That's a legitimate worry, since Comcast's subscriber numbers are trending down.

Netflix sells its service to anybody, and while its certainly worried about losing subscribers (remember how it lost a few million after its snafus last year?) it doesn't link its $8-a-month streaming service to a gargantuan cable package like Comcast's roughly $140 per cable sub.

Comcast actually has the nerve to charge current TV subscribers $5 a month for Streampix if they don't get Comcast's cable-TV-Internet bundle. This for a service that has far fewer titles than Netflix. Why would even a Comcast subscriber consider it if all they're saving is $3 a month?

My take on this? No - Comcast will most likely not allow their content to stream on Roku. Just like with the EpixHD and HBO Go channel - you can't get it on Roku if you're using Comcast. They're just giving you another offer to stay on cable - I think :wink:
Retired
RickRansom

Postby SkOrPn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks Rick for the link. Yeah I agree and sorry I was not informed about the Streampix topic before hand.

I have been with Netflix ever since they started up and I have no plans what so ever of dropping them. I just tried launching the comcast streampix and its asking me to subscribe, even though I have the required tier, or thought I did. Not a chance of me subscribing to Streampix, especially if the content isnt there.

We will see what happens but I doubt Netflix has anything to worry about, much lol.
SkOrPn

Postby RickRansom » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:32 pm

Exactly. And I quote from the link posted above:
Netflix sells its service to anybody, and while its certainly worried about losing subscribers it doesn't link its $8-a-month streaming service to a gargantuan cable package like Comcast's roughly $140 per cable sub.
Use Netflix under any provider, whether you be in the US, UK, Ireland, Canada, or South America(and other supported countries). For Streampix - yeah, you need to subscribe to Comcast first(or at some point).
Retired
RickRansom

Postby SCOREtv.TV » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:21 pm

If I were an exec at Comcast I would put out a ROKU channel with some basic programing at the same tiers as regular cable. I wouldn't advertise the channel, I'm sure the Roku community will find it.

My focus would be to sell higher speed fiber and go after verizon and att.

Well... I guess I can keep dreaming.
Private channel : SCORETV https://owner.roku.com/Add/SCORETV
SCOREtv.TV

Postby kc8pql » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:51 pm

ganggangde wrote:Can someone from Roku please comment on this possible Streampix channel? [/url]

No, it's not.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby SkOrPn » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:35 pm

SCOREtv.TV wrote:If I were an exec at Comcast I would put out a ROKU channel with some basic programing at the same tiers as regular cable. I wouldn't advertise the channel, I'm sure the Roku community will find it.

I just want an xfinity channel on my Roku box for free, lol (its probably not even worth $fr.ee). I mean why does Xbox 360 get a Comcast Xfinity channel but the Roku doesn't? Hmm
SkOrPn

Postby SCOREtv.TV » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:49 am

SkOrPn wrote:I just want an xfinity channel on my Roku box for free, lol (its probably not even worth $fr.ee). I mean why does Xbox 360 get a Comcast Xfinity channel but the Roku doesn't? Hmm

Monopoly... XBOX is not a dedicated streamer even though 40% of it's use is for streaming.

Everyone is scared of ROKU as it probably has the best developers building channels for it at the moment.
Private channel : SCORETV https://owner.roku.com/Add/SCORETV
SCOREtv.TV

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:10 am

SkOrPn wrote:
SCOREtv.TV wrote:If I were an exec at Comcast I would put out a ROKU channel with some basic programing at the same tiers as regular cable. I wouldn't advertise the channel, I'm sure the Roku community will find it.

I just want an xfinity channel on my Roku box for free, lol (its probably not even worth $fr.ee). I mean why does Xbox 360 get a Comcast Xfinity channel but the Roku doesn't? Hmm

its possible that MS paid money for it. XBOX streaming is a benefit of paid service isn't it? If exposure were the concern, this new streaming service would appear on everything they could put it on
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby SkOrPn » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:23 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
SkOrPn wrote:

its possible that MS paid money for it. XBOX streaming is a benefit of paid service isn't it? If exposure were the concern, this new streaming service would appear on everything they could put it on

Yeah good point on the xbox service being a paid service. I'm not sure what my brother pays but he gets xfinity and netflix on his xbox. All I have is the Roku box as Im not into xbox gaming.
SkOrPn

Postby sferrell615 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:15 pm

i agree. streampix should be available on roku. it's going to be available on android phones, ipads, pcs, etc. hbo go is now available on roku. what's the difference? roku is just a platform...i would think comcast would want their xfinity everywhere possible in order to compete with netflix and others. yes, of course you would need to have a comcast xfinity account...as you do with netflix, hbo go, etc.
scott
sferrell615

Postby wellsdm » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:59 am

They recently added XFinityTV Streampix Service to the TIVO. I would think that Roku would have come before Tivo since the Tivo DVR competes directly with the Comcast supplied DVR. Tivo also has Netflix and Amazon streaming. Honestly though if Roku had Streampix I might actually be happy to use Comcast DVR and let Tivo go so I don't have to pay the Tivo fees. As it is though I can't get everything from one box.
wellsdm

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:13 am

Year-old thread.

• When creating a topic, please perform a search or glance over the first two pages before posting the topic, as it may have been covered already. In general, if a thread is more than six months old, it will be best for our moderators if you generate a new thread, to prevent confusion.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion