hulu vs netflix

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

hulu vs netflix

Postby rasplmbr » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Hey everyone. Just set up my Roku 2 XS. So far all is ok. Before I subscribe to any movie- tv show provider, I would like to know what you like better,NETFLIX,HULU PLUS, AMAZON PRIME. We like shows like Pawn Stars,Walking Dead,Swamp People,Deadliest Catch,ETC. I noticed that Amazon has most of these shows with more episodes than the others. THX for any insight.
rasplmbr

Re: hulu vs netflix

Postby tkfan75 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:55 pm

I have Netflix and Hulu Plus. Netflix has past seasons of all the shows you listed. Hulu Plus has none. I have had a trial of Amazon Prime and I don't believe any of those shows are part of the Prime offerings, only for paid purchases. Hulu Plus is great for catching network shows, but that's about it. Netflix is my favorite of the three.
tkfan75

Postby mikebdoss » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:57 pm

rasplmbr wrote:Hey everyone. Just set up my Roku 2 XS. So far all is ok. Before I subscribe to any movie- tv show provider, I would like to know what you like better,NETFLIX,HULU PLUS, AMAZON PRIME. We like shows like Pawn Stars,Walking Dead,Swamp People,Deadliest Catch,ETC. I noticed that Amazon has most of these shows with more episodes than the others. THX for any insight.

Each service is different, and has a different catalog. Netflix and Amazon Prime are pretty much interchangeable for the majority of titles. Hulu+ has a LOT more current (broadcast) TV and a different selection than the rest. Be aware that the shows you like, when available, generally are older seasons - not the current episodes.

We subscribe to Netflix and Hulu+, and they serve our purposes well.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Robert99 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:59 pm

I suspect that will vary with personal taste. Here is my personal take on this issue, but YMMV.

I personally don't do with HULU+, because I don't like paying for a service that also has ads I have to watch. But again that is me.

I do have NetFlix (streaming, I've dropped the DVD service). It's good for "background viewing", but you need to keep in mind that while the selection is large, a lot of it is older stuff (although some of the "older stuff" is simply older seasons of TV shows still in development).

Amazon Prime has considerably less than NetFlix. As a result, I don't think it is "worth it" to pay the $79/year just for the (reasonably small) portion of Amazon's selection that is "free" if you are a Prime member. However, if (like me) you think the $79/year is worth it just to get the cheaper/faster shipping from Amazon, the "free Prime videos" are a nice bonus. And while some of Amazon's prime selection is also carried by NetFlix, some of the "free" Prime videos are not also NetFlix.

NOTE: In addition to Amazon Prime, the Amazon app allows you to "buy" (although watch out for "blackout times" on videos you supposedly "bought") or "rent" (pay per view) videos. This buy/rent is available even if you don't have "Prime" (just with "Prime", some of the "rent" videos are "free"). I haven't personally used the Amazon rental (due mostly to cost), but I do occasionally watch the "free Prime videos" (since I have Prime for the faster/cheaper shipping). However, some people like to rent from Amazon, because Amazon's rental catalog is reported to be very large (and therefore you can sometimes rent stuff on Amazon, that you can't easily get elsewhere).
Robert99

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Just to end one misunderstanding. You aren't paying for ads on Hulu. You are paying an exorbitant fee to the license holders for new shows and often older shows have commercials as well. Those subsidize the new shows and help Hulu generate income to get more new content. It's a different system than Netflix and that's why Netflix had to abandon all dreams of current TV seasons. Their deal with Disney for family shows is still on as far as I know but that will most likely run out. I'm not picking on Robert and I understand his reasoning. I put up with the ads because a- it's a lot less than you'd see watching the shows on TV and b- I don't want to pay 75 dollars a month which is probably around what it would cost without them. It's content I want to see and the only tolerable way for me to see it.

That asside my opinion

Hulu Plus - has new shows from Viacom, ABC, NBC, Fox, CW, and some others. Has many movies but digging through the b-grade ones to find the lost gems can be daunting. Criterion has signed with them as well but Criterion and I aren't exactly buddies since mostly they have put foreign films on there when they have or had licenses to a list movies. Criterion movies are commercial free and some other content has been so as well (such as Downton Abbey but I have no idea why) In short it has content I want that no one else does and the ads are not annoying to me. Even shorter, if you like new TV you have no choice.

Netflix - the foundation to streaming. They have massive content and a good way of helping you find what you want. Rate everything you see. Spend hours rating things you've seen before especially things you hate. Pretty soon you'll be presented with more stuff to watch than you have time for.

Amazon Prime the other guy. They get Netflix deals after Netflix breaks ground. Hollywood seems to be using them to keep Netflix in check. I would NOT get both as the overlap is extreme. If you've seen Amazon having more of the shows you like then I think they must have been putting VOD files (pay per view or purchase) in the numbers because they have less than Netflix.

I'd also recommend looking into Crackle. It's free from Sony and while the content is sparse it rotates new stuff in from time to time and the ads are short and tolerable. Think of it as Hulu Jr.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby DBDukes » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:32 pm

mkiker2089 had a very good rundown of the three services. I have all three, and find that I use Hulu+ for current TV content, Netflix for movies or older TV content, and Amazon Prime when I stumble across something that I didn't already see available on Netflix or Hulu+, which isn't often. (I really got Amazon Prime for the shipping and non-streaming features; the streaming content is a bonus for me.) And, oh, yeah, Crackle. It's free. You'll find a hidden gem from time to time. I actually use it more than Amazon Prime Video, but not as much as purchasing non-Prime content from Amazon.

I side with the "ads are okay with me" aisle regarding Hulu+. With me, Hulu+ and Netflix cost me $16/month ($8/month each). That's a heckuva lot less than cable, and, while it doesn't cover everything cable had to offer me, it offers enough for me. When I paid for cable, I watched TV shows with lots of ads. Now, I'm paying less money for TV content, and seeing less ads. I win.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby mastermesh » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:28 am

We originally just had netflix, but recently subscribed to hulu plus too...

Basically, for movies, netflix is great. For TV shows, Hulu is great for filling in where Netflix leaves off... example: Wife wanted to see Hot in Cleveland. We watched it on Netflix til a certain episode. After subscribing to Hulu Plus we got to see the episodes after that one over on hulu plus.

Free version of Hulu is better than Hulu Plus based on what I've read about it, but not for the newer stuff... just for wider variety of older shows, etc.

I too dislike Hulu's ads, but at least there are not a lot of them.

(uh, you can get the free version of Hulu on Roku if you use Playon, but we decided to not go that route lately because it puts too much stress on the computer... also decided this because my wife wants the latest episodes of shows, etc.)

Biggest disadvantage of Hulu Plus: It does not remember which episode you were on in a series. It also only has certain number of episodes on any series. However, it does have a neat way of organizing it that lets you have access to more than 500 things at a time unlike Netflix.

Biggest disadvantage of Netflix: You can only have 500 items in the queue at any time. Sounds like a lot, but really it's not, especially if you watch a lot of stuff like tv shows, stand up comedians, and other stuff like that which is not full length movies, etc.

If you get netflix, go ahead and get the channel that nowhere man put together to find more stuff in netflix since that thing works better than the netflix website for finding stuff, but it's also a little of a pain since it's so painfully slow in adding stuff as it it sits there and does what it's doing to add it to your queue.

I'd also recommend looking into Crackle. It's free from Sony and while the content is sparse it rotates new stuff in from time to time and the ads are short and tolerable. Think of it as Hulu Jr.
I'd recommend crackle, popcornflix, vanguard (think that's the name of that independent channel?), openfilm channel (even if some of the stuff is odd internet stuff), and also noknok, and a few others... It's nice having options.
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46566&p=359897#p359897 -channel lists/tools
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63553&p=409506#p409506 -fta
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64096 -linear channels
mastermesh

Postby Matt9876 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:42 am

I watch more shows on Netflix than any other provider :) , Hulu plus is good but I'm not able to see the content on the Roku that I thought I was going to get when I signed up for the service (NCIS,NCISLA,Hawaii 5-0,Glades, CBS content)

If anyone has suggestions to get these shows on the Roku I'm all ears.

I suspect I will be dropping the Hulu plus service within the next 6 months.
ROKU 3
ROKU 2 XS
ROKU HD
Simple TV OTA DVR
Matt9876

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:16 am

Matt9876 wrote:I watch more shows on Netflix than any other provider :) , Hulu plus is good but I'm not able to see the content on the Roku that I thought I was going to get when I signed up for the service (NCIS,NCISLA,Hawaii 5-0,Glades, CBS content)

If anyone has suggestions to get these shows on the Roku I'm all ears.

I suspect I will be dropping the Hulu plus service within the next 6 months.

I have to wonder why you thought those shows would be on Hulu+. They are CBS shows and they are not even on actual Hulu. Rather Hulu links to CBS when you click on them and the shows play on the CBS site with CBS commercials.

As far as getting CBS shows on Roku within the terms of service for both there is no current way save one that I will cover a bit further down. For CBS to actually be on the Roku CBS would either need to create a ch for their content or license it out to another party to do so and, so far, they have shown little to no interest.

As far as Hulu vs Netflix I use Netflix on my Roku and Hulu on my PC connected to my TV. and I use Netflix by far the most. Currently for me there is no value in Hulu+ so I do not subscribe.

Also I get the Network shows through an antenna connected to a home-brew DVR and it converts the videos to a viewable format for the Roku so I do view them on my Roku but you need to be aware that it requires a bit of effort to get everything set up and running correctly. Both NPVR and Myth TV have private chs that will do that.
Gilgamesh

Postby SuetyStanes » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:23 am

Yeah, CBS isn't part of the Hulu conglomerate and has their own answer to online streaming episodes they call TV.com. I know there was a TV.com channel at one time that no longer is, I believe because it was requested to be pulled.

You could try NowhereTV which I think has at least some of the streaming episodes. Otherwise, if you really want the content you could always try creating your own CBS channel if the streams are available to iDevices. (And, of course, an antenna should work if you can capture the signal).

Aside from those commercial supported free options, Amazon VOD is always an option if purchasing the episodes isn't cost prohibitive.
SuetyStanes

Postby DBDukes » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:35 am

mastermesh wrote:Biggest disadvantage of Hulu Plus: It does not remember which episode you were on in a series.

rasplmbr :
I normally use the Hulu Website to find shows I like, then add them to the queue. When I watch a show, it comes out of the queue, so I don't have to worry about it remembering what I've watched. If you just browse and watch via the interface, this, of course, won't work.

Gilgamesh wrote:As far as getting CBS shows on Roku within the terms of service for both there is no current way save one that I will cover a bit further down. For CBS to actually be on the Roku CBS would either need to create a ch for their content or license it out to another party to do so and, so far, they have shown little to no interest.

As far as Hulu vs Netflix I use Netflix on my Roku and Hulu on my PC connected to my TV. and I use Netflix by far the most. Currently for me there is no value in Hulu+ so I do not subscribe.

Also I get the Network shows through an antenna connected to a home-brew DVR and it converts the videos to a viewable format for the Roku so I do view them on my Roku but you need to be aware that it requires a bit of effort to get everything set up and running correctly. Both NPVR and Myth TV have private chs that will do that.

rasplmbr :
If you decide to go with a DITY DVR, and if you use a Windows 7 PC for that, keep in mind there's always Windows Media Center. It has good DVR capabilities if you add a tuner to the computer. I've paid from $60 - $150 for them. All seem to work about the same.

Also, CBS has content as part of Microsoft's Internet TV app that comes with Windows Media Center. I normally DVR Hawaii 5-0 over the air, but if signal drops (we live a distance from the tower) and it's not watchable, I can just stream it.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:08 pm

Indeed to all of that, DBDukes. Windows Media Center also has a Hulu plugin (which takes you to Hulu Desktop, but you can still use your remote), plus all the CBS stuff is there too. A HTPC is a great companion to the Roku.
mikebdoss

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:16 pm

mastermesh wrote:
Biggest disadvantage of Hulu Plus: It does not remember which episode you were on in a series.

Actually it does. It sounds to me like you are "browsing" to the show. You can either add them to your queue and they will be removed as watched leaving you with a shrinking queue or you can go to your history and pick up from the last episode watched, select see all from series, and go to the next one.

You can't add to queue from the Roku however, which is a bad design flaw.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby jeffrok » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:49 pm

One bad thing about Hulu+ one the Roku, is that the interface is NOT good for a traditional up-down-left-right remote control. And at times it is slow to respond.

If you can get past this, I highly recommend Hulu+ for its current-season content.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby TheEndless » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:05 am

mkiker2089 wrote:
mastermesh wrote:
Biggest disadvantage of Hulu Plus: It does not remember which episode you were on in a series.

Actually it does. It sounds to me like you are "browsing" to the show. You can either add them to your queue and they will be removed as watched leaving you with a shrinking queue or you can go to your history and pick up from the last episode watched, select see all from series, and go to the next one.

If you subscribe to a show, all "unwatched" episodes from that point forward automatically get added to your queue. This is how we keep up with current seasons of all of our shows.
mkiker2089 wrote:You can't add to queue from the Roku however, which is a bad design flaw.

Sure you can. Once you find the episode you want to queue, press [Down] instead of [OK]. That will take you to a screen with additional options, including the ability to add it to your queue. Not particularly intuitive, but there is a little down arrow at the bottom of the screen that's supposed to give you a clue that there's more there.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion