Is Roku supposed to turn on when TV is turned on?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Is Roku supposed to turn on when TV is turned on?

Postby skscherger » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:00 pm

I successfully installed the Roku 2 XS today and all was working fine. When I came back to it tonight, it did not turn on when I turned the TV on. I had to unplug it and replug it in. Then all was good again. Is this normal? Am I missing something? Thanks.
skscherger

Re: Is Roku supposed to turn on when TV is turned on?

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:02 pm

skscherger wrote:I successfully installed the Roku 2 XS today and all was working fine. When I came back to it tonight, it did not turn on when I turned the TV on. I had to unplug it and replug it in. Then all was good again. Is this normal? Am I missing something? Thanks.

I've noticed on one of my TVs that it takes a few moments for the Roku's display to show up when connected via HDMI. The Roku itself is always on, though.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mommom » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:11 pm

I have to click on the remote,then it wakes right up
mommom

Postby kc8pql » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:31 am

^ +1 Clicking the remote wakes up the box.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby skscherger » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:50 am

Thank you everyone. Pushing a button on the remote ( and I tried many) did not work last night but I went ahead and tried again this am and I had success! Yay! Now to learn how to use the thing to it's fullest capacity. Anyone have any brilliant tips or suggestions?
skscherger

Postby __5 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:37 am

skscherger wrote:.......Pushing a button on the remote ( and I tried many) did not work last night but I went ahead and tried again this am and I had success! ......

1. if you pause a movie and turn off the TV (even for few seconds) & then turn the TV back on, you may get a blank screen – just press [OK] twice on Roku’s remote to display & resume video.
  2. if you exit from the movie and turn off the TV (for lets say 11 min or more, assuming the screensaver is set for 10 min) & then turn the TV back on - just press any button on Roku’s remote to wake it up.
I suggest, you disable the Screensaver (for few days) - From Roku’s Home screen >Settings > Screensaver

& click here for more
__5

Postby Matt9876 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:00 am

I use the bouncing time and weather screen saver set at 10 minutes, one click on the home button wakes up the Roku device.

The Roku stays on 24/7.
ROKU 3
ROKU 2 XS
ROKU HD
Simple TV OTA DVR
Matt9876

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:53 am

skscherger wrote:Thank you everyone. Pushing a button on the remote ( and I tried many) did not work last night but I went ahead and tried again this am and I had success! Yay! Now to learn how to use the thing to it's fullest capacity. Anyone have any brilliant tips or suggestions?

Hulu, Netflix, Crackle, Pandora

That's all you need. The rest is gravy.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby DBDukes » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:34 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
skscherger wrote:Thank you everyone. Pushing a button on the remote ( and I tried many) did not work last night but I went ahead and tried again this am and I had success! Yay! Now to learn how to use the thing to it's fullest capacity. Anyone have any brilliant tips or suggestions?

Hulu, Netflix, Crackle, Pandora

That's all you need. The rest is gravy.

Let me throw in Amazon. Yes, tt's PAYGO, but I do find I use it more than Crackle, but not nearly as much as Hulu+ or Netflix.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby skscherger » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Is there any way to watch TV directly through, say ABC.com or CBS.com? Or do you pretty much need HuluPlus?
skscherger

Postby DBDukes » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:00 pm

skscherger wrote:Is there any way to watch TV directly through, say ABC.com or CBS.com? Or do you pretty much need HuluPlus?

No, not within U.S. under the Terms of Service of the rights holders to those programs.

Hulu+ will NOT get you CBS, by the way. The Tiffany Network doesn't offer content through Hulu. If you have a Windows 7 computer, you can get some CBS programming through Window Media Center. It's baked in.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion