Can I watch the free version of Hulu with Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Can I watch the free version of Hulu with Roku

Postby jjfossey » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:37 am

Just purchased a Roku 2 XS and am wondering if it is possible to watch the free version of Hulu. I don't want to subscribe to Hulu Plus. I just want to watch the free version. Also, if I were to subscribe to a content service (ex. Netflix, Amazon, etc.), which offers the best selection of current TV and movies?
jjfossey

Re: Can I watch the free version of Hulu with Roku

Postby socantra » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:41 am

No
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:42 am

No.

Netflix is my preferred provider but I also use several others like Amazon and Epix.
Gilgamesh

Postby kc8pql » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:47 am

Netflix is the best deal. Amazon and some of the others tend to have more current episodes, at a price.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby krisbee » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:16 am

The free version isn't available on any platform legally on any device that interfaces with a TV, as that content is meant to be streamed to a PC only (as per the agreements with the content providers). Hulu+ content does have those agreements.

You will either have to interface a computer to your TV (which I have done), or purchase Hulu+...
krisbee

Postby SuetyStanes » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:34 pm

jjfossey wrote:Just purchased a Roku 2 XS and am wondering if it is possible to watch the free version of Hulu. I don't want to subscribe to Hulu Plus. I just want to watch the free version. Also, if I were to subscribe to a content service (ex. Netflix, Amazon, etc.), which offers the best selection of current TV and movies?

You can purchase current episodes through Amazon Video On Demand (VOD), but I don't think the Amazon Prime included streaming offerings include much current TV. I just wanted to make that clarification since Amazon offers these two distinct services, and you mentioned subscription specifically.
SuetyStanes

Postby kicker774 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:36 pm

This was half the reason I bought a Roku so I didn't have to have a giant desktop PC taking up room in my entertainment center.
I'll have to see if the private channels are worth the cost, otherwise I may end up returning my Roku.
kicker774

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:50 pm

kicker774 wrote:This was half the reason I bought a Roku so I didn't have to have a giant desktop PC taking up room in my entertainment center.
I'll have to see if the private channels are worth the cost, otherwise I may end up returning my Roku.

Just so you know, and as was stated above, you're not going to get regular Hulu on ANY set-top box.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby DBDukes » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:07 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
kicker774 wrote:This was half the reason I bought a Roku so I didn't have to have a giant desktop PC taking up room in my entertainment center.

Just so you know, and as was stated above, you're not going to get regular Hulu on ANY set-top box.

Also keep in mind, kicker774, that if the shows you want to watch on Hulu are actually Hulu+ shows (you can tell by the little green "+" next to the show's name on Hulu's Website), you'll still need a Hulu+ subscription to watch them, whether on a set-top box like Roku, or on a computer. Not everything on Hulu's Website is free. Only the stuff that is not Hulu+ content is free.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby jjfossey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:21 pm

Well, I've decided to return the Roku. It wasn't what I thought it would be, which was a substitute for cable. All the so-called news channels were either podcasts, 2-3 minute clips, or episodes from a day or two before, not actual episodes (unless you have a subscription to Hulu+ or something as stated). Basically, stuff I can get on the web. Unless you are into Japanese anime and watching older TV shows, I guess Crackle would work for you, but I'm more interested in recent shows. I guess some folks will get Roku or Apple TV to stream Netflix movies, but I figure I can hook up my Macbook Pro via HDMI cable to the TV and stream from there or rent from iTunes. In the end, I've decided to invest in a $50 TV HD antenna and stick to local channels, which has been working pretty well. I did enjoy cable, but I'm trying to cut costs. Plus, my wife watched way too much Cupcake Wars and Real Housewives (no offense to anyone that likes those shows). Anyway, thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I greatly appreciate it.
jjfossey

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion