Error Code 014

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Error Code 014

Postby chawki04 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:33 pm

Hello out there

I have taken the time to read some of the other fixes for this error, and am still confused. Both of my Roku boxes worked fine until this afternoon. I have the Roku2 XS hooked up to a receiver in the living room and a Roku1 XD in my bedroom. They are both listing Error Code 014. I have done the power off/on cycle and a factory reset, to no avail.

I don't know how to access my router to even see what channel it's on. This problem just seemed to pop up for no reason. Can you please walk me through where to start?
chawki04

Re: Error Code 014

Postby RokuShawnS » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:36 pm

Post your router make/model #, and the good folks here will guide you through things.

IIRC, error code 014 has to do with the inability to communicate with the router. Try setting the Roku in a DMZ first, and/or disabling your firewall temporarily.

Also post your Roku model, and how it's connected (along with any other relevant info).

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby chawki04 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:39 pm

I forgot to mention that my router is supplied by TWCable here in Kannapolis, NC it is a Netgear model CDG24G with WEP encryption. The Roku2 XS is model 3100X that is wirelessly connected.

The only place I see my firewalls is in the control panel of my computer. I've had problems in the past with viruses and am leery of cutting off the firewalls. Will that endanger my computer?
chawki04

Postby RokuShawnS » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:57 pm

So long as you limit the time exposed, it'll probably not be an issue. Setting the Roku in a DMZ is much safer, however. Generally in tech support, we ask you to disable the firewall for testing purposes, and that generally won't last for more than 30 minutes to an hour. The likelihood of you being hacked during that time is virtually zero. A hacker has to be really paying attention, and be near your router, for that to take place. In the state that you're in at the moment, this is going to be the only way to isolate the issue's you're encountering. Without that, we can only "guess" at certain possibilities.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby chawki04 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:08 am

Okay. 1) What is a DMZ?
2) I don't know how to disable the firewalls on my router. Is that the same thing as going into the control panel on my computer and disabling firewalls to my network?

Roku Shawn,
It was the fault of my router. I called TWCable and they walked me through the fix. thank you for your help though. :D
chawki04

Postby destruk » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:38 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmz

Of course, for a router, a DMZ means it is the same for the specified computer as if you had connected it directly to the modem that provides access to the internet, basically bypassing the router. If you are running a decent software firewall on the computer, then it's really nothing to worry that much about. For Roku, I don't think anyone has managed to hack the box from the internet side.
destruk

Re: my accidental Error Code 014 solution

Postby sfisher59 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:41 am

Hi,
I had the same problems as others mentioned. My new Roku HD worked fine for two days, then all of a sudden couldn't connect to our router, even though it showed full signal strength, and password unchanged. I did the software reset with no help, tried connecting to my neighbors router, changed wpa2 to wpa, and open, etc. all with no results.

I read multiple posts about allowing the router to "ping", and of course, there are no settings in my router for that.

I went to speedtest.net, and that test was fine, but found they also have pingtest.net. I tried running that test, and I got a java, or javascript warning popup that had a checkbox allowing 2 way pings, but warning it was "not recommended" because it lowered security (or something to that effect).

Afterwards, the test was fine, I went back to the Roku, and "VOILA!" it was back to normal and working fine.

My computer had installed a new Java update. I suspect that is the culprit. I wish I had payed more attention, as it doesn't make sense to me, but I hope this helps someone.
Last edited by sfisher59 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
sfisher59

Re: my accidental Error Code 014 solution

Postby j.m. » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:51 am

sfisher59 wrote:Hi,
I had the same problems as others mentioned. My new Roku HD worked fine for two days, then all of a sudden couldn't connect to our router, even though it showed full signal strength, and password unchanged. I did the software reset with no help, tried connecting to my neighbors router, etc. all with no results.

I read multiple posts about allowing the router to "ping", and of course, there are no settings in my router for that.

I went to speedtest.net, and that test was fine, but found they also have pingtest.net. I tried running that test, and I got a java, or javascript warning popup that had a checkbox allowing 2 way pings, but warning it was "not recommended" because it lowered security (or something to that effect).

Afterwards, the test was fine, I went back to the Roku, and "VOILA!" it was back to normal and working fine.

My computer had installed a new Java update. I suspect that is the culprit.

Not likely. The version of Java, or any other software for that matter, on your PC does not affect Roku.
j.m.

Postby j.m. » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:54 am

chawki04 wrote:I forgot to mention that my router is supplied by TWCable here in Kannapolis, NC it is a Netgear model CDG24G with WEP encryption. The Roku2 XS is model 3100X that is wirelessly connected.

The only place I see my firewalls is in the control panel of my computer. I've had problems in the past with viruses and am leery of cutting off the firewalls. Will that endanger my computer?

I would strongly suggest that you change encryption to WPA AES or WPA2 AES. WEP has not been secure for many years now and is easily broken.
j.m.

Postby knuckle » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:45 am

Hi chawki-----------------

open a browser window on your computer -- type in 192.168.0.1 this should open your router screen,the user name is admin and the password is password -- all lower case --- you can disable your firewall under basic on the left and you can set up a dmz under "setup dmz" below the advanced on the left hand side

let us know if you need more assistance and how it works out--good luck
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

I FOUND AN ANSWER: Error Code 014

Postby kcl1966 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:59 pm

For the past hour, I sat here catching the blues trying to connect my New Roku2 XD after receiving error code 014. Right before I was about the throw my new Roku out the windows.. I noticed my sons unattended Xbox light blinking as if its sending and receiving data. It occurred to me that this thing is sucking up my bandwidth and killing my connection.

After I shut it down and re connected my Roku.... Viola!!! Perfect connection.

For some of you this might be a problem... NO Xbox... (Changer your router settings). But it works perfectly for me.

KeithL
kcl1966

Postby diokan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:06 pm

I have this problem with my Roku2 XS 3100x (software version 4.3). I also have an older, first generation Roku (working fine since 2009) and I don't have the problem on that box, so I suspect it has something to do with the 2XS (since they're both on the same router).

When it tells me there's no connection to the router, I chose the "check connection" option and it tells me that it's connected and that the signal strength is 'excellent'. I've noticed that the video quality on the XS is frequently terrible while watching Netflix, where as with my older Roku box it always looks near HD. I'm pretty sure this is a software/hardware issue with the 2XS
diokan

Postby knuckle » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi diokan-------------

change your dns to a public one and see if that doesn't help with netflix -- google is good (8.8.4.4 or 8.8.8.8. ) I also hear that 4.2.2.2 is good

9 times out of ten when one has choppy playback or excessive buffers on netflix it is a dns issue and though they deny it I am almost certain that some cable ISP's are trying to actively block the roku stream to netflix --streamers are beginning to scare them
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
knuckle

Postby diokan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:26 am

knuckle wrote:Hi diokan-------------

change your dns to a public one and see if that doesn't help with netflix -- google is good (8.8.4.4 or 8.8.8.8. ) I also hear that 4.2.2.2 is good

9 times out of ten when one has choppy playback or excessive buffers on netflix it is a dns issue and though they deny it I am almost certain that some cable ISP's are trying to actively block the roku stream to netflix --streamers are beginning to scare them

I have an update. This morning I performed a test. I can play videos from Netflix from any wireless device in my house: either of my two laptops, two different android phones, a Kindle Fire and a gen 1 Roku. They all played fine, except for the Roku 2 XS. I tried the 2XS and video quality was poor (everything looks muddled, which is the norm for this device), then it dropped out completely and I got the loading screen. I went to the other devices and was able to resume. After each one I went back to the XS and again, the video drops out and I constantly get the "loading" screen. The laptops and the Kindle Fire were tested within 2 feet of the 2XS, (fire and 1 android was right next to it) so the wi-fi signal strength doesn't seem to be the issue either.

Since the DNS server is the same for all the wireless (and wired) devices I don't think that could be contributing to the problem. Am I missing something? And BTW, I streamed a video from Amazon Prime to the 2 XS and it also dropped out. So it doesn't appear to be a Netflix related problem either.

As I wrote this, I was streaming HD quality video from Netflix to my laptop, without any problems. Unless I'm overlooking something, this test seems to rule out the network and/or router as the source of the problem. The only thing left is the Roku 2 XS.
diokan

Postby knuckle » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:44 am

yes but they all use different streams so while your laptop is streaming fine your roku 2 (which uses a different stream) may be playing terribly Netflix wanted the roku 2 to use adaptive streaming so it gets its own stream.I am almost certain the dns change will help.
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
knuckle

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion