Can't use HDMI & Composite Simultaneously

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Can't use HDMI & Composite Simultaneously

Postby lindemann06 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:55 pm

We upgraded to Roku 2 XD today, and discovered that we can't use the AV Output if we are using HDMI. I have a small TV over my workbench that I was able to feed the old Roku signal to via the composite output jack on the back of the Roku unit, while at the same, feed video and audio to our main HD-enabled flat screen tv in the same room.

The new Roku 2 box does not output a video signal through the composite AV Out port if the main tv is playing video through the HDMI port. It apparently requires that I choose one or another, but not both. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Rob
lindemann06

Re: Can't use HDMI & Composite Simultaneously

Postby atheling » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:01 pm

No, you are not missing anything. Only one video output is used at a time, if the HDMI is connected the signal is shut off on the composite output. You do have sound on both though.
atheling

Postby wizin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:12 pm

Any trick or workaround to this?I have WD Live Media player and it outputs both - no issues

The only workaround is I pull the HDMI off the TV and RCA becomes active but not a solution
wizin

Postby socantra » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:47 pm

See post directly above yours.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:04 pm

wizin wrote:Any trick or workaround to this?I have WD Live Media player and it outputs both - no issues

The only workaround is I pull the HDMI off the TV and RCA becomes active but not a solution

Alas, hollywood has had their say. The Roku1 can do it but the Roku2 was written after new regulations went in effect limiting what can be sent over unsecure channels. That's also why the Roku2 lost component connections IIRC
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby wizin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:16 pm

I figured, BUT I am thinking

If we have HDMI Splitter - http://www.dealextreme.com/p/one-input- ... tter-65732
then have the 2nd HDMI Splitter to convert to Composite - http://www.dealextreme.com/p/hdmi-to-co ... rter-80407
wizin

Postby hozedhead » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:32 pm

wizin wrote:I figured, BUT I am thinking

If we have HDMI Splitter - http://www.dealextreme.com/p/one-input- ... tter-65732
then have the 2nd HDMI Splitter to convert to Composite - http://www.dealextreme.com/p/hdmi-to-co ... rter-80407

Why not just buy another Roku?
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Postby kc8pql » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:55 pm

+1 you can get an LT for $49. bucks.
OTA Antenna
"Netflix Player" N1000X
XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X
Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Strothgar » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:57 pm

I ran into this same issue with my daughters bedroom. We have two flat screen TV's mounted on the wall at the foot of each bunk bed, and a dual connection is what would be ideal, as two Roku's isn't suitable, as that leads to all sorts of TV volume wars.

I ended up doing some extremely ugly composite splitting to hook this up, and the signal quality suffers.

Thanks for the great idea, Hollywood lawyers.
Strothgar

Postby j.m. » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:36 pm

Strothgar wrote:I ran into this same issue with my daughters bedroom. We have two flat screen TV's mounted on the wall at the foot of each bunk bed, and a dual connection is what would be ideal, as two Roku's isn't suitable, as that leads to all sorts of TV volume wars.

I ended up doing some extremely ugly composite splitting to hook this up, and the signal quality suffers.

If both TVs have HDMI, you can use this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2
j.m.

Postby Matt9876 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:49 am

I did it with three different converters an HDMI splitter, HDMI to RGB, RGB to composite AV yellow, Ugly but it works.

All this thanks to the Hollywood, when will they learn you can't change the rules in the middle of the game.
My Dish Network box did both HDMI & AV at the same time, This made switching to the Roku device a big pain.

Although I didn't buy it for this reason the HDMI to RGB converter strips out the !#%&!% stuff.
ROKU 3
ROKU 2 XS
ROKU HD
Simple TV OTA DVR
Matt9876

Postby blue_94_trooper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:56 am

Most of these rules come out of the DMCA. This is the first I've heard of a restriction on a non-digital connection.

My FIOS cable boxes, with a pretty recent firmware upgrade, still have all four connections (Video - HDMI, Component, S-Video, Composite and Audio - HDMI, Digital/Optical, Digital/Coax and regular RCA stereo jacks) active simultaneously.
SoundBridge M500
PhotoBridge HD1000 rev. B (retired)
Roku 2 XS
Roku XD
blue_94_trooper

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:27 am

Firmware won't change the rules unless some lawyer gets really frisky. You bought the device before the change and a firmware change like that would lead the lawsuits and full refunds on old equipment. New devices will all have this restriction. They go by original manufacture date I think so an old line that hasn't changed may not.

Strothgar, do the TV's have an output? You may have been able to take the feed from one to the other? However as was said above dual HDMI isn't a problem as you can legally use a splitter as long as it supports HDCP and both TVs do as well. A roku1 may work better as well. I'd hate for the kids to have a crappy picture but I'm a video snob at times.

One sidenote but the DMCA makes it illegal to circumvent copy protection for any reason. Hence you can have ripped copies of your discs but you can't make them to have them. They just have to magically appear. One could argue that signal converters that strip the HDCP or convert it to analoug which doesn't support HDCP are technically breaking the law. Hollywood really needs to be reigned in. I get the reasoning but they are turning honest people like Strothgar in what they technically consider pirates. What's next?
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:34 am

j.m. wrote:
Strothgar wrote:I ran into this same issue with my daughters bedroom. We have two flat screen TV's mounted on the wall at the foot of each bunk bed, and a dual connection is what would be ideal, as two Roku's isn't suitable, as that leads to all sorts of TV volume wars.

If both TVs have HDMI, you can use this:

Good catch, I had no idea those things were so cheap.

Of course if it were me I would prefer something like http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR3008-9 ... 24&sr=1-26
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Postby Matt9876 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:44 pm

Here is a two converter solution

#1 HDMI splitter

#2 HDMI to composite video/audio
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 4#feedback

Or you could save money and just purchase a second Roku device.
ROKU 3
ROKU 2 XS
ROKU HD
Simple TV OTA DVR
Matt9876

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion