014 Error - Cannot Connect to LOCAL Network

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: 014 Error - Cannot Connect to LOCAL Network

Postby ShanMT1999 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:58 pm

I figured as much... had a similar issue years ago with an AT&T provided router/modem combo where they "flashed away" UPnP capability!
My very expensive new equipment was then utterly useless for the purposes for which it was bought.

Now that I KNOW it's not my Roku device, I am going to try Comcast customer service first, then my installer to see if either will help get Roku going on my router or provide a new router which will work with my Roku. If not, I am not likely going to spend $100 to purchase a Router they will not provide support for... I've been through THAT before too and as soon as you have any internet problems it is "of course" not your ISP, but your device :lol:

I am within my 30-day satisfaction guarantee for new customers window with Comcast; they will get the boot, not my beloved Roku!
ShanMT1999

Postby knuckle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:01 pm

if you can get them to bridge the router they gave you, a linksys should run ya about 20 bucks--found mine in a dumpster actually--its an old G type but has run like a champ
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
all running wireless on a actiontec C2000A
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby ShanMT1999 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Okay - thanks for the info!

Any particular features/requirements a new "off-the-shelf" unit must have?
And for that matter, what type of new device would I be looking for? A router, modem, combo, or???

Thanks again for all your help. Not that I'm able to use my Roku on my own network yet by any means, but just knowing that it's Comcast gives me a little sanity back.
ShanMT1999

Postby knuckle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi shannon---

if you can get them to bridge your existing router than this thread viewtopic.php?f=28&t=17032 will give you a list of routers folk have successfully used.

I would not recommend a modem/router combo because if you have a problem with either part of it you wind up having to replace both

good luck with customer support too,I have heard that the folk at comcast are not big on supporting "roku issues" and will tell you it is roku's problem

best of luck to you
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
knuckle

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:18 pm

knuckle wrote:Hi shannon---

if you can get them to bridge your existing router than this thread viewtopic.php?f=28&t=17032 will give you a list of routers folk have successfully used.

I would not recommend a modem/router combo because if you have a problem with either part of it you wind up having to replace both

good luck with customer support too,I have heard that the folk at comcast are not big on supporting "roku issues" and will tell you it is roku's problem

best of luck to you

Hehe, knuckle's right, although I prefer the modem/router combo from a KISS perspective. Plus there are certain reasons from a tech support standpoint that makes the combo units easier to diagnose on some levels. But it's really just a personal preference, and how much you want to deal with. If you don't know a whole lot about this kind of thing, it's probably best to stick with what everyone else is suggesting. Regardless, we can help you know matter what you choose :)

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby ShanMT1999 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:58 pm

Just one more question before I go further, please... my Roku is listed in my Gateway as a connected device with IP 10.0.0.4. I was able to successfully ping the IP from my laptop using the command prompt; 4 packets sent and 4 received almost instantly.

Does this give me any further info on where the issue lies?

Comcast told me they don't "block" or inhibit ANY device from connecting to the internet in any way.

I guess this is "just" a device issue with my SMCD3GNV then? So strange that Roku is my only device having this issue and that so many Roku users are having the same problem with Comcast as their ISP.
ShanMT1999

Postby knuckle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:19 pm

in other areas comcast uses motorola sgb901's with a custom software and it does the same thing.Either the roku can't connect to the network or can't access roku's update server through comcast's dns and the software disables the ability to set a dns server.This may all be a coincidence but I don't buy that for a minute.

Personally your trying to connect with fire wall down and security open SHOULD have gotten a network connection(the exact same as placing the roku in a dmz) with a fail at the connection to the net(dns) If the software allows you to set the roku in a dmz you might try that and double check it just to be certain.

sorry you are having these problems,good luck to you
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
knuckle

Postby ShanMT1999 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:36 pm

Thanks for your kind support, knuckle!

It does appear I have the some DMZ options in my gateway settings.
Do you have a convenient link as to how to try this?

I'm trying to avoid buying a separate router and having Comcast bridge my connection... I may still have to go this route, but would like to feel I've exhausted every other option first.

Thanks so much,
-S
ShanMT1999

Postby Bill Thames » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:50 pm

I have searched the forum and can't find any posts that fit my description exactly so here is my problem.

I have had my Roku "Angry Birds" model about 3 weeks now and most of the time it performs flawlessly when it connects. However, I have had to factory reset several times due to connection problems. As long as I am using the Roku, it works perfectly and never drops connections. However, if I don't watch anything with the Roku for a few hours to a day or 2, I can't connect back to the internet. I try Netflix and get the can't connect error, which I think is 014. I just did a factory reset and don't remember the exact error code, but it simply won't connect and watch anything on any channel. It is not just Netflix, it is everything.

When it fails, it sends me to the network setup screen. I go through the setup (wireless) and it connects with a strong signal strength. But when I try to watch something, it does the same thing. I go through the setup and check the status and it is perfect, but when I try to watch any channel it fails. I tried unplugging it and waiting several minutes but it doesn't help. Then I do a factory reset and it works pefectly until the next day and we start all over again. It seems I have to do a factory reset about every day or so. I have tried rebooting the router and the modem several times, but the only thing that gets it back working is the factory reset. All the while it doesn't work, I can watch Netflix on my computer flawlessly. I also have XBMC on my computer so it can receive all the same channels as Roku and they all work well, but Roku will simply not work until I do a factory reset.

I returned a Sony because it was very limited in the channels available and got a WD Hub. I returned the HUB because it kept freezing up and the remote wouldn't even work. A friend reccomended Roku so I got the cheapy and liked it so well I bought the angry bird model, but I'm about to return it if I have to keep doing the factory reset every day or so.

Any help here?

Thanks.
Bill Thames

Postby Bill Thames » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:21 pm

Addendum:

I got it working and saw that while watching Netflix that it wasn't in 1080P. So I dropped out of Netflix and went to settings and set my display to 1080P. Went back to Netflix and it wouldn't even load the menu. After several trys, ROKU froze up and wouldn't even respond to the remote. I unplugged it and restarted it then tried to go to Netflix again. I started getting the error 014 again and couldn't get it to connect no matter what. I then did a factory reset and went to Netflix and it played fine. I then went to settings and set the ROKU back to 1080P and now Netflix won't even show my queue or recently viewed or anything properly. So I went back to ROKU settings and set the display back to 720P. Now everything is working fine.

So can anyone tell me why setting the display to 1080P affects the network connection so I can't even get it to connect to my home network???
Bill Thames

Postby knuckle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:36 am

Hi shan-------------

Access from the left navigation menu:
Connected Devices > Computers
To manually add a computer with a static IP address to your wireless network:
1. Under Online Computers, click Add Computer with Static IP. The Add Computer menu appears.
2. Complete the following fields in the Add Computer menu:
Option Description
Host Name Host name of the computer you want to add
Connection Read-only field that displays the network connection of Ethernet
MAC Address MAC address of the computer you want to add (use a colon between each 2
character ID in the MAC address)
Static Address Static IP address of the computer you want to add (use a period between
each octet in the IP address)
Comments Optional comments about the computer
3. Click SAVE to save your settings (or click CANCEL to discard them). If you click SAVE, the Computer
menu reappears with the computer you added displayed under Offline Computers.

you will find the wireless mac address and ip of your roku on the info screen--for step 2

once the ip has been saved as static enter that ip into the dmz and click enable and save

these directions are for the unaltered modem (stock non comcast firmware) not sure if all these functions are still enabled

you can find the comcast manual here http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto ... 030811.pdf

hope you can get this going without further problems--good luck
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
knuckle

Postby knuckle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:57 am

Hey Bill--------------------

if you have a screen saver enabled on your roku ,try disabling it --- I know that sounds ridiculous but there was indeed a bug causing problems if a screen saver was enabled.
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
knuckle

Postby Bill Thames » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:40 am

knuckle wrote:Hey Bill--------------------

if you have a screen saver enabled on your roku ,try disabling it --- I know that sounds ridiculous but there was indeed a bug causing problems if a screen saver was enabled.

Tnx Knuckle.
I tried your tip. With the Roku set to 1080P and no screen saver, Netflix loaded very slowly, but did play a while until I decided to try some more diags. Just as a check, I went to NBC News and now it is stuck retrieving for the last 10 minutes. BTW, using speakeasy.net, my download speed is 24.xx Mbps and upload is 4.xx Mbps. As well, it all still works from my computer which is also connected wireless. I'll try to get it going and report back.
Bill Thames

Postby Bill Thames » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:30 pm

Bill Thames wrote:
knuckle wrote:Hey Bill--------------------

Tnx Knuckle.
I tried your tip. With the Roku set to 1080P and no screen saver, Netflix loaded very slowly, but did play a while until I decided to try some more diags. Just as a check, I went to NBC News and now it is stuck retrieving for the last 10 minutes. BTW, using speakeasy.net, my download speed is 24.xx Mbps and upload is 4.xx Mbps. As well, it all still works from my computer which is also connected wireless. I'll try to get it going and report back.

Ok. Final addendum.

I started with the $49 dollar ROKU which came as a premium with another purchase. I liked it so well that I bought the Angry Bird ROKU just to have the best and 1080P resolution. So far, the new and better ROKU doesn't work well at all. I have the original $49 ROKU now sitting beside the newer-better ROKU and it works flawlessly, no matter what I throw at it. It just works. The better and more expensive ROKU simply doesn't. I will be sending it back for a refund. :? :(
Bill Thames

Postby joshuabc » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:22 pm

Solved:
(Well, sorta)
I was able to get around the incompatibility between my Roku XS and Comcast's SMCD3GNV modem/router box by doing the following: First, my solution required the use of a second WiFi router. If this is a deal breaker, no need to read further. You might ask why I would bother if I already had another router to plug in - why not just ask Comcast to put my SMC into bridge mode and use that? In my case, it just made sense.
First, I reset my SMC router to factory defaults using a paperclip. I was able to log in using the default u: Admin p: password. I configured the device as normal, with a couple of exceptions. First, be sure to enable both options under Advanced->Device Discovery.
Next, I plugged in my second router (An Apple Airport Extreme) via ethernet. Using the MAC address fo the WAN interface port on the apple router, I assigned it a static ip address in the SMC router. I put mine at the top of the ip range, outside the DHCP address space. I then verified that the Apple router was assigned the correct address by rebooting it and configuring it with mostly standard options. It is important to run the second (Apple) router with both NAT and DHCP enabled so that, in effect, it is creating a NAT network within your SMC's NAT network. Some routers should complain about this - ignore it.
Then, on the Apple router, I assigned the Roku device a static ip using its ethernet MAC address. In the Apple router's config, I set the Roku to be the default host for all incoming traffic and enabled port triggering and mapping. This ensures that all outside-initiated connections on all ports will be directed to the Roku.
Next, on the SMC, under Advanced->DMZ, I made the static ip of the Apple router the DMZ host. Just for kicks, I also disabled the firewall under Security by selecting Custom and checking disable firewall.
The purpose of using a double NAT is to get around the incompatibility between the Roku and the SMC's DHCP sequence (or whatever on the SMC is causing the Roku to think it doesn't have a valid ip address). The purpose of Making the second router the DMZ host on the SMC, then making the Roku the DMZ host on the second router, is to allow outside traffic (specifically the Roku's activation sequence) to reach the device.
I hope this helps some of you.

Good Luck!

J
joshuabc

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion