Remote not working? Roku 2 XS

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Remote not working? Roku 2 XS

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:07 pm

Simsnet71 wrote:From all of the numerous post on this site and all the endless posts that come up on google search with this remote issue you don't see any response from roku offering any solutions or apologies. That means boycott any of their products since they obviously don't stand behind them!!

I don't work for Roku. Roku employees read and respond here as well, but the majority of people here are fans and volunteers.

You haven't even asked here for help, or described your symptoms - people here are very happy to help, but not if you come in guns blazing, immediately citing problems and placing blame before even trying to see if there's a fix.

FYI, there's no current unsolvable remote issue with the Roku2. Fixes usually include replacing batteries and re-pairing the device. From the Roku website:

On the first welcome screen, your Roku player will go into pairing mode automatically as soon as you insert the batteries. If you are able to press the OK button to continue guided setup, you have successfully paired. If you are not able to proceed, remove the remote control batteries and locate the purple pairing button inside the battery compartment. Press the button once, reinsert the batteries and the pairing should work.

Have you tried that?
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby DBDukes » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:18 pm

Simsnet71 wrote:How am I supposed to re-pair if I have no remote access and usually no access even with a roku remote app?

From this page, try these instructions:
Remove the battery case door and press the purple pairing button to put your Roku remote in pairing mode. Confirm the LEDs on the front of the remote are blinking continuously. Remove the power cord from your Roku player and re-insert it to restart your Roku player. When your Roku player fully re-starts, it will automatically enter pairing mode and recognize and connect to your Roku game remote.

I just did it, and it worked for me.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:25 pm

Simsnet71 wrote:I own 6 other Netflix capable devices bought this at best buy for $80 to try and within 1 month the remote function stopped working!! Sometimes I can use my iPod touch but all and all this thing was the biggest waste of $80 plus California sales tax I've ever spent!! Don't buy any of them!!

Simsnet: If you're having issues with the remote, what the above posters have described is the exact work-around/fix for your issue. Re-pairing the device when it loses the connection is the same across ALL devices that use a similar technique.

Most of what you will find on Google currently are typically very old issues that stemmed from either a bad batch or a faulty BT firmware that was corrected long ago (there are still some other occasional issues that crop up, but I haven't seen such a case since probably August or September), but by and large the metrics show that the controller works on all boxes, with only a few dozen failures at most (usually due to hardware failure, faulty or low batteries, etc).

Re-pair the remote, and your issue is solved. If it isn't, then contact CS, generate a case number, and if they are still unable to resolve the issue, I can escalate it to the highest levels. Until you generate a case number, and go through their trouble-shooting steps, there is not much I can do. Those trouble-shooting steps are exactly what the above posters have suggested.

On another note, Roku Employees who post on this forum will generally be in red or green text for their names, and they'll almost always follow the format "RokuNameLastInitial" (so mine is RokuShawnS). This is not always the case, as some don't have the green/red lettering due to the way forums handle permissions and tagging.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby Vital » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:42 am

Have issues with my remote as well.
For the most part "OK" button is the biggest culprit. I click it, i hear audible "click" via tv speakers which means button itself did work but nothing happens. Channel/program doesn't load. I can move arund by left/right buttons but can't "ok" whatever I need to "ok". Most of the times when it happens I have to keep on pressing "ok" 5-10 and hear that "click" via speakers each time. Annoying? You don't say.

Second culprit is left/right buttons. Let's say I'm on Netflix and click "left" when browsing thru shows. Apparently either remote or Roku thinks I have my finger stuck on "left" as cursor on tv keeps on moving left for a good minute, sometimes more till roku just automatically restarts. And once it starts buggin out there's nothing I can do. Home or back button do not work, nothing does short of just unplugging my 2 month old XD.
Vital

Postby DBDukes » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:47 am

Vital wrote:Have issues with my remote as well.
For the most part "OK" button is the biggest culprit. I click it, i hear audible "click" via tv speakers which means button itself did work but nothing happens. Channel/program doesn't load. I can move arund by left/right buttons but can't "ok" whatever I need to "ok". Most of the times when it happens I have to keep on pressing "ok" 5-10 and hear that "click" via speakers each time. Annoying? You don't say.

Second culprit is left/right buttons. Let's say I'm on Netflix and click "left" when browsing thru shows. Apparently either remote or Roku thinks I have my finger stuck on "left" as cursor on tv keeps on moving left for a good minute, sometimes more till roku just automatically restarts. And once it starts buggin out there's nothing I can do. Home or back button do not work, nothing does short of just unplugging my 2 month old XD.

Do symptoms still exist after replacing the batteries with new ones? Just trying to rule that out.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby Vital » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:00 am

Yes, I tired a different batteries just in case - same thing.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it happens everytime but def at least once a day.
Vital

Postby elBryan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:15 am

My remote has stopped working twice, and it's frustrating but it actually turned out to be an easy fix.

First of all, DO NOT DO A FACTORY RESET until all options are exhausted because you will lose all of your Angry Birds data among other things. I learned that the hard way the first time it stopped working.

This was the process I used to fix the problem :

1) Download the Roku Remote App to your smart phone or tablet.

2) Use that to access the settings.

3) Select "Game remote pairing".

4) Press the purple button on the back of your remote.

Ta Da!
elBryan

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:57 am

elBryan wrote:My remote has stopped working twice, and it's frustrating but it actually turned out to be an easy fix.

First of all, DO NOT DO A FACTORY RESET until all options are exhausted because you will lose all of your Angry Birds data among other things. I learned that the hard way the first time it stopped working.

This was the process I used to fix the problem :

1) Download the Roku Remote App to your smart phone or tablet.

2) Use that to access the settings.

3) Select "Game remote pairing".

4) Press the purple button on the back of your remote.

Ta Da!

The procedure mentioned is good BUT not even a majority of Roku users own a smart phone or tablet. Many very tech aware people have no desire or need for such an intrusive device.

Better advice for a solution that can work for most is http://remoku.tv as it runs on most browsers.

The smart phone/tablet app does work but it is an option that many folks cannot use.
Gilgamesh

Postby rlindabury » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:36 am

Unfortunately the instructions provided by several posters did NOT work for my two brand new Roku 2 XS boxes. I set them up according to the instructions, put the NEW batteries into the controller, powered up the ROKU and it got to the setup screen and the controller didn't work.

Then I followed the instructions. I removed the batteries, I pressed the button in the battery compartment, replaced the batteries and it still wouldn't pair. I waited and it didn't work. I tried this with both boxes. I swapped out the controllers and tried each with the other box, different batteries, etc.

I finally got it to work after several attempts at following the instructions by using the following steps:
1. Unplug the ROKU 2 XS
2.Open the battery compartment and press the button until the two lights on the front of the controller light up.
3. Plug ROKU 2 XS in.
4. Wait for controller and ROKU to pair.

Now it works fine. You can watch the pairing status on the blinking lights on the controller. When I did it according to instructions the lights on the controller never even lit up. YMMV.
rlindabury

Postby renojim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:24 pm

rlindabury wrote:Then I followed the instructions. I removed the batteries, I pressed the button in the battery compartment, replaced the batteries and it still wouldn't pair.

Did someone really give that instruction? Shame on him if he did. Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm not sure why anyone would expect a button press on an unpowered device to accomplish anything.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby bro » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 pm

I guess I'll file a CS ticket but I'm having this issue almost daily and it almost always happens in Netflix channel and now Hulu. Its when pressing directionals to choose or fastforward. Seems like software to me.
bro

Postby RokuShawnS » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:29 pm

bro wrote:I guess I'll file a CS ticket but I'm having this issue almost daily and it almost always happens in Netflix channel and now Hulu. Its when pressing directionals to choose or fastforward. Seems like software to me.

If it only happens on particular channels, and not every channel, there's something else going on besides a faulty remote. If it was a faulty remote, it would happen on EVERY channel, regardless.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby bro » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Shawn, The problem is that the bug is intermittent and I "mostly" use those two channels so it would seem odd that the two most popular channels (and conceivably most well supported and coded) would be the only two to have such issues. So as I start to use other channels more we'll see. But from what I'm reading on this site and others, I'm clearly not the only one having such a major and frequent problem. TBC...
bro

Postby EnTerr » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:03 pm

bro wrote:Shawn, The problem is that the bug is intermittent and I "mostly" use those two channels so it would seem odd that the two most popular channels (and conceivably most well supported and coded) would be the only two to have such issues. So as I start to use other channels more we'll see. But from what I'm reading on this site and others, I'm clearly not the only one having such a major and frequent problem. TBC...

Have you checked if the batteries are dying? I find it useful to have one of these handy http://www.meritline.com/battery-tester---p-43955.aspx

Does not sound likely but is possible flat batteries to cause issues like that. Here is how: weak battery when left alone is able to create some surface charge and that lasts through a few button presses but for continuous press rewinding the charge may not be enough. Another factor might be movement, the jolt of picking up and putting down the remote might energize battery just a little (hydrogen bubbles form on electrode and increase internal resistance). Anyhow, battery that experience any of these is on it's last leg, test it or replace it to see if any difference.
EnTerr

Postby joed32 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:09 am

DBDukes wrote:
Simsnet71 wrote:How am I supposed to re-pair if I have no remote access and usually no access even with a roku remote app?

From this page, try these instructions:
Remove the battery case door and press the purple pairing button to put your Roku remote in pairing mode. Confirm the LEDs on the front of the remote are blinking continuously. Remove the power cord from your Roku player and re-insert it to restart your Roku player. When your Roku player fully re-starts, it will automatically enter pairing mode and recognize and connect to your Roku game remote.

I just did it, and it worked for me.

I have 4 Rokus and need to do this once in a while and it has worked every time. Open the door push the purple button and the remote will start to blink. Go over to the Roku and pull out the power cord and plug it back in. The Roku will reboot and when it's finished the remote will be working again. Try it!
joed32

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion