When will Roku support DLNA?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: When will Roku support DLNA?

Postby FX4 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:02 pm

Good to know. I have always felt Roku would be killer if it supported DLNA. It seems to me Roku is 95% of where it needs to be as the only media Player in the house but it needs to support DLNA. Plex might be a short term work around. Another person suggested this to me a while back.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby WilDD » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:28 pm

honzik wrote:I have two paths for streaming content - with my ROKU and with my Sony Bravia TV. I also have a DLNA server on my ReadyNAS from Netgear, and of course I'd like to be able to stream the content to my ROKU box, which is not yet possible. Fortunately, I'm able to do this via SONY. What's interesting is the Sony Bravia's DLNA set-up is really pain-free. It found the DLNA server on my network automatically and it works really pretty well. The downsides are that
1) it can't distinguish between which folders contain music, pictures, and video,
2) it doesn't seem to play mp4 files
3) it plays raw DVD files, but without the ability to decode the raw content and deliver the movies in rational way.
4) it doesn't allow slide-shows with streaming music in the background.

It seems to me that if ROKU did what Sony does, but with a little more smarts, they'd have a hit on there hands. What I can't figure out is why they don't.

I don't normally promote my own channel, but since you are using a ReadyNAS, it should be fairly easy to make it work with Roksbox using your existing structure. If your're not interested, you can tell me to get lost. :)

All you should have to do is:

1. From your ReadyNAS setup, enable the HTTP service and use the same share as you use for DLNA (probably "media").
2. Install Roksbox using these instructions (there's a 30 day free trial).
3. From the Roksbox main menu, go to Options -> My Options -> Setup Wizard -> Web Server and use the following settings:

Media Server Address: your ReadyNAS web server address
Media Root Folder: the folder you told your ReadyNAS to use when you enabled HTTP - probably media.
Video Folder Path: your video path - probably Videos.
Music Folder Path: your music path - probably Music.
Photo Folder Path: your photo path - probably Pictures.

You can take the defaults for everything else in the setup wizard, or choose your preference. You can always go back through the setup wizard later if you want to change something.

Then use the up arrow on the remote to return to the Roksbox main menu, and see if you can play a video, play music, or show photos.
WilDD

Postby FX4 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:57 pm

Has this solution been tested with Netgear's Stora?
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby WilDD » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:45 pm

FX4 wrote:Has this solution been tested with Netgear's Stora?

It hasn't been tested on the Stora, but it looks like the Stora will run a web server, so it should work.
WilDD

Postby FX4 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:25 pm

Yes the Stora natively runs a web server.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby FX4 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:21 pm

Unfortunately it looks like it will not work. The web interface is all flash based on the Stora.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby FX4 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:24 am

I did some updating to my Stora and they are now supporting HTML. However I have run into a small problem in that Roksbox does not ask for a login.
Here is the the API information: http://www.axentra.com/what-is-hipserv Scroll to the bottom of the page. Any chance at looking at it to provide some direction? BTW, a lot of low end NAS devices use Hipserv.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby max mike » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:09 am

honzik wrote:I have two paths for streaming content - with my ROKU and with my Sony Bravia TV. I also have a DLNA server on my ReadyNAS from Netgear, and of course I'd like to be able to stream the content to my ROKU box, which is not yet possible. Fortunately, I'm able to do this via SONY. What's interesting is the Sony Bravia's DLNA set-up is really pain-free. It found the DLNA server on my network automatically and it works really pretty well. The downsides are that
1) it can't distinguish between which folders contain music, pictures, and video,
2) it doesn't seem to play mp4 files
3) it plays raw DVD files, but without the ability to decode the raw content and deliver the movies in rational way.
4) it doesn't allow slide-shows with streaming music in the background.

It seems to me that if ROKU did what Sony does, but with a little more smarts, they'd have a hit on there hands. What I can't figure out is why they don't.

I suggest you look at running PS3 Media Server with its transcoding ability my Bravia will play pretty much anything I want including DVD ISO images.
max mike

Postby FX4 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:22 am

Are you certain your Bravia does not play MP4 files. Both the PS3 and my now retired SNP100 play MP4 files. They won't play the encrypted MP4 files from iTunes.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby albion01 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:18 pm

Just use PlayOn. It's only $59 for a lifetime membership. It uses VLC (VideoLAN) on the media server to stream ANY format to the Roku.
albion01

Postby mommom » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:43 am

albion01 wrote:Just use PlayOn. It's only $59 for a lifetime membership. It uses VLC (VideoLAN) on the media server to stream ANY format to the Roku.

You don't even need to pay for it to use it for local streaming,just use the free version.Not pretty,but works great
mommom

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion