Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdurrant420
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

So anyone seen the new Roku2XS? I am worried i am going to lose it in my av stack 😄
0 Kudos
xwin
Visitor

srt subtitles with MyMedia

Hi,
I installed MyMedia and so far I am very happy with the server. The server from the github did not play mkv files on my new Roku2. I added support and Brian checked that in. For anyone who is interested, Roku2 can play mkv files with h264 content from the network as well as the usb drive. Manual only mentioned the usb drive.
I have a question however. The server opens srt subtitles according to the code but Roku does not display anything. How does one makes it to display subtitles?

One feature I would like to see in UI and the server is the ability to shutdown the server PC. When I am finished watching at night I need to get up and shutdown my machine. If there would be dialog to select that would send a request to server which caused it to shutdown the machine it would be useful IMHO.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

The box can be pretty picky about SRT files. Make sure the file is ANSI encoded (UTF-8 is probably ok, but I haven't tried it) and one thing that's sure to cause a problem is if the last line doesn't end with a new line character. If I have a file that doesn't work I open it in Notepad++, change the line endings to Unix format, trim trailing space, and make sure I go to the last line and hit return if necessary. One other thing in case you didn't know, the SRT file has to have the same name as the video file, just with a .srt extension.

I'll take a look at the MKV stuff you added and add it to the beta 2.0 version I've been working on forever. MKV support was initially only for USB devices, so I haven't even tried to stream one.

Interesting idea about shutting down the server. I don't know if that's possible across all OSs, but it should be possible for Windows at least. Until I moved everything to my Dockstar which I just leave on, I used Wake on LAN and VNC to control my server from a laptop.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
LeoH
Visitor

Hi, I think the link from the mymedia readme file is pointing to an old thread...

I tried to get started with roku mymedia but when trying to add the private channel it says :
this channel is not available in your area

Could you please add "rest of the world" to the options of that channel?

Thanks in advance
Saludos
LeoH
0 Kudos
renojim

Done! You'll be the guinea pig to see if it works. I don't know if the change takes effect immediately or not.

-JT

0 Kudos
LeoH
Visitor

Like a charm, thanks!
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"LeoH" wrote:
Like a charm, thanks!

Sweet! Thanks for pointing out the bad link in the README. I just fixed that too.
0 Kudos
xwin
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
The box can be pretty picky about SRT files. Make sure the file is ANSI encoded (UTF-8 is probably ok, but I haven't tried it) and one thing that's sure to cause a problem is if the last line doesn't end with a new line character. If I have a file that doesn't work I open it in Notepad++, change the line endings to Unix format, trim trailing space, and make sure I go to the last line and hit return if necessary. One other thing in case you didn't know, the SRT file has to have the same name as the video file, just with a .srt extension.

I think that I more or less figured it out. The Roku does not display subtitles with MKV files. It does fetch the URL but nothing appears on the screen. Probably a bug. It does display with m4v files in yellow color and pretty large font. Not bad actually. The subtitle file can have in unix or dos eol. It does need an empty line at the end of the file.

I have one idea regarding subtitles. The Client may have an option to turn them on or off. When subtitles are off video can be started without subtitle URL. Although it is possible to turn them off by renaming or moving the file it would be nicer if there would be a global setting. It is easy to do on the server side but not convenient to change. UI makes more sense.

Thanks for the tips!
0 Kudos
renojim

"xwin" wrote:
I think that I more or less figured it out. The Roku does not display subtitles with MKV files. It does fetch the URL but nothing appears on the screen.

Like I said, I haven't tried any MKV files yet. Maybe subtitles work if playing from USB? I'll have to try that at some point. I'd agree that it's a bug. Have you tried pairing one of your SRT files from an MKV with an MP4 to make sure it's not the SRT file?

"xwin" wrote:
I have one idea regarding subtitles. The Client may have an option to turn them on or off. When subtitles are off video can be started without subtitle URL. Although it is possible to turn them off by renaming or moving the file it would be nicer if there would be a global setting. It is easy to do on the server side but not convenient to change. UI makes more sense.

This is something I've been thinking about. It would be nice if they could be turned on/off during playback, but that's not possible. Perhaps the option to play with/without subtitles could be presented when the video is selected.

-JT

0 Kudos
emolson1
Visitor

Newbie here. Has anyone put together a manual or FAQ on this thing? I have lots of questions....
0 Kudos