Invalid device credentials

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Invalid device credentials

Postby Hanaleia » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Hello, I am getting a box pop up that says Invalid Device Credentials: Netflix does not recognize the credentials of your Roku player. Please contact customer support at roku.com." I called Netflix first to ask what exactly this means and they said it was soley a roku issue and they had no idea. So I called Roku and was informed that even though i just got this for Christmas and have only had it 3 months my warranty was up and they could not help me. Can anyone tell me what is going on with this message. Please. Any help would be greatly appreciated .Thanks
Hanaleia

Re: Invalid device credentials

Postby destruk » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:20 pm

Did you try a factory reset? Hold down the reset button for 30 seconds. You're probably not going to be able to return or exchange it after 90 days - at least without authorization from Roku, so try the live chat to see what they can do for you.
destruk

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:24 pm

I think that error is one that is issued when a non US IP is detected trying to use US Netflix. It is also possible for other IPs using an improper Netflix account. I believe, right now, Netflix on Roku only works for US and Parts of the United Kingdom with a Roku device that is configured fro the area it is in.

If, however, you are in the US or other supported country you might try a factory reset from the settings menu and then re-add Netflix. You can also do a factory reset by using a paper clip or some such and pressing and holding the reset button for 30 seconds or so.
Gilgamesh

Postby DBDukes » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Hanaleia wrote:Hello, I am getting a box pop up that says Invalid Device Credentials: Netflix does not recognize the credentials of your Roku player. Please contact customer support at roku.com." I called Netflix first to ask what exactly this means and they said it was soley a roku issue and they had no idea. So I called Roku and was informed that even though i just got this for Christmas and have only had it 3 months my warranty was up and they could not help me. Can anyone tell me what is going on with this message. Please. Any help would be greatly appreciated .Thanks

Do you have any other subscriptions services you use? Hulu+, for example. And, if so, how do they work?

Can you watch Netflix on any other device? Like a computer, Apple TV, Xbox, Playstation, Wii, etc?

Also, how many Netflix devices have you activated for your Netflix account? I think Netflix has a limit to the number of devices tied to one account.

I tried to find how to view the list of devices tied to an account, and followed the instructions, but they seem inaccurate. It appears Netflix is either having issues (in which case, you may not really have a problem; they do), or they've changed how that account functionality works. Regardless, you can deactivate all devices, then reconnect the Roku (and any other device you use to watch Netflix). If the problem still exists, then it's likely not with your account, but is with the Roku box.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby Hanaleia » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:52 pm

Hi thanks for all your responses. Yes we have hulu plus and it works fine, We live in Colorado in the US, yes we can still watch netflix from the PS3 as well as the laptop. It is true you can have around 20 devices tied to your account but you can only have 2 instances of netflix in use at the same time and at this moment there was no other instance playing except the movie we were watching. Also, the message for exceeding the number of netflix playing at one time is very different than this message,Invalid device credentials, I called netflix and they had no idea what the problem was they said it was a roku issue. I was told not to reset to factory standards it messes up the unit, but I will try that now, thanks. hopefully that works. I dont see a reset button on the outside.There is a hole to fit a paperclip so I guess that is the reset button I will let you all know if it works. Thanks for your advice.
Hanaleia

Postby destruk » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:23 pm

I don't know how a factory reset could 'mess up the unit' - it will cause you to re-link to your accounts again, but that's what a factory reset should do.
Now, smashing the roku with a giant rock a few times, that would definately 'mess up the unit' :)
destruk

Postby Hanaleia » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 pm

:lol: LOL I like my Roku too much to smash it. In fact we like Roku so much we cancelled Direct TV. Now, First of all,I must apologise, apparently this was not Rokus problem as I was told. When I called Netflix earlier the guy I spoke to told me that this problem was not on Netflix end. I had asked Netflix earlier if I should deactivate my devices and was told several times Netflix was not the problem that it was Rokus problem. I should have followed my instincts. After reading all the advice I decided to go ahead and deactivate my devices in Netflix anyway just for kicks and giggles, and it fixed it. "Sigh" Sorry for bother but thanks so much for all your kindness in helping with this, I really appreciate it all.
Hanaleia

Postby catastrophegirl » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:13 am

glad you found a solution.
in general, if one channel fails and the others are fine, it's a channel issue and deleting the channel and adding it again often resolves the problem in my experience. that makes sure you get the most up to date version of the channel
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion