What internet provider speed do i need?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

What internet provider speed do i need?

Postby melmes » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:41 am

Hi, was looking for some information and hope someone can help me out.
I am going to be purchasing a roku 2xs for my new apartment and was wondering what type of internet speed i should be looking for?
I have been looking @ cox premier package but need to know if this will support watching of sports - mainly soccer?

thanks

Matt
melmes

Re: What internet provider speed do i need?

Postby FX4 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:44 am

A reliable 6 Mbps will handle just about everything although there are a few 8Mbps streams around. If you think you may be using one of those go for 10Mbps.
Last edited by FX4 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:57 am

I know for a fact ( helped a neighbor set up his system) that the MLS channel is unreliable at 1.5 mbs. It works OK but has a small number of hiccups at 3.0 mbs. And it is rock solid at 6.0 mbs.

Personally I run at about 14 mbs average and the only problem I have is the times the MLS servers are overloaded.

But be aware that Soccer's availability on the Roku is quite limited but when combined with a computer hooked up to your TV the selection available, particularly if ESPN3 is available through your provider, jumps to more than any one person could ever view.

The only thing I cannot seem to find is streaming access to international women's soccer leagues. Even the ones that have extensive local coverage do not seem to have streaming availability, at least in the US. While the level of play in most men's leagues is higher I find watching the women's games very enjoyable.

I hope more soccer content shows up on the Roku, an Espn3 ch would go a long way, but with a computer to help the viewing is great.
Gilgamesh

Postby melmes » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:42 pm

Great thanks, the cox service i was looking at claims that it runs speeds 'up to 12mbps' is this realistic for watching streams and web surfing at the same time, or should i go with a more expensive plan with higher speeds?

I was also under the impression that I could receive fox soccer through a private channel?

thanks

Matt
melmes

Postby knuckle » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:55 pm

on a 10 meg pipe I run 3 rokus,3 laptops,a smart tv and a desktop with any 4 running at the same time with no problems,,I use standard definition on the rokus tho so they don't require the high def streams but 12 meg ought to be fine.

Nowhere tv offers a fox soccer channel (or did last time I checked) but I believe it is just game highlights not full matches

:)
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
all running wireless on a actiontec C2000A
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby TheEndless » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Note that "up to 12mbps" is marketing verbiage for burst rates that you'll likely never achieve, and isn't valid for streaming. But, even if the sustained rate is half of that, you should be more than good to go.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby kc8pql » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:08 pm

TheEndless wrote:... But, even if the sustained rate is half of that, you should be more than good to go.

+1 I have solid 6Mbps DSL service. Never have any problems.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:15 pm

melmes wrote:Great thanks, the cox service i was looking at claims that it runs speeds 'up to 12mbps' is this realistic for watching streams and web surfing at the same time, or should i go with a more expensive plan with higher speeds?

I was also under the impression that I could receive fox soccer through a private channel?

thanks

Matt

That speed should be fine. I would also recommend that you get the top Roku with the hardwired Ethernet connection as well as wireless, they are just a little bit more expensive, instead of the others that only run wireless. Wired is always better than wireless.

As far as Fox Soccer goes I think that when I looked it required that you have the Fox Soccer ch through you cable provider first and then you can subscribe to the online version. It would require the purchase of a premium tear on my cable system (For the Fox soccer ch) and then the additional cost of an online subscription. Even if there was no additional charge for online the requirement to have cable TV, and a premium level at that, kind of defeats the purpose of cutting cable.

In reality if Fox Soccer was available on line as a standalone for $10.00 to $15.00 a month it would be a good value but the way I understood it I would have to pay about $60.00 more a month than I do now just for that one channel.

Gol TV is another I would like but I cannot even find them online.

BTW: I think there is a European package available in some of the EU that includes all the EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, League 1 and many others but I also believe that it is restricted to EU countries.

But like I said there is plenty of soccer available it is just that much of the best seems to be missing.
Gilgamesh

Postby TheEndless » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:55 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Wired is always better than wireless.

Not always.... ;)
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby melmes » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks for input guys.
melmes

Postby kc8pql » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:52 am

TheEndless wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:Wired is always better than wireless.

Not always.... ;)

+1 Lightning ran in on my DSL a few weeks ago and fried everything connected by Ethernet.
$1800. later, I'm rethinking wired connections. :wink:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
kc8pql

Postby FX4 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:01 am

Pretty unlikely your telephone wires can carry enough current to damage anything but the connected modem. More than likely it traveled through your homes power or ground. Sounds like you need whole house surge protection.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby kc8pql » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:13 am

No, only things connected to the Ethernet were affected. It was not a direct strike. It hit a tree across the road, about 200' away. The DSL splitter connected to the line where it enters the house blew up. I think the surge ran up the phone ground. Equipment plugged into the same AC surge protectors survived. Even the telephones were not damaged. Ethernet is the only common denominator. Weird.
kc8pql

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion