How to get closed captioning to work

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

How to get closed captioning to work

Postby J Green » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:30 am

I have become accustomed to having closed captioning when I watch TV and movies so its absense in the Roku is distressing, to say the least. I happened to notice recently on the Roku website that the new Roku 2 supports closed captioning. So, I bought my 3rd Roku mainly to have this feature. My new Roku 2XS arrived yesterday and during set up I didn't see anywhere an option for closed caption. Needless to say, this made me unhappy. So, is the new Roku 2XS capable of displaying closed captions and if so, how do I go about enabling them? Also, do I really need a micro SD card and if so, what size is suggested?
J Green

Re: How to get closed captioning to work

Postby knuckle » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:05 am

Click on a movie or show title
On the play menu screen, you should see an option labeled "audio and subtitles" if it is available
Select "audio and subtitles" and click OK
Use the directional arrows to select "English" under Subtitles and click OK
Click the back button once or the up directional key a few times until you are back at the play menu screen
Click OK on the play or resume options

netflix (and I think hulu)offer captioning on certain titles if the option is not there then it isn't offered on that particular title

happy streaming
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all hooked wireless via Linksys WRT54G running tomato firmware

favorite channel-- Justin TV
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:32 am

As far as the micro SD card goes its ONLY purpose is to store lesser used chs. If a channel is not in memory it will be loaded from the channel store servers. This makes the SD card pretty much unneeded unless you use some of the large games like Angry Birds.

If you do decide you want to install one then a 2g card will be more than adequate. Any more is just overkill.
Gilgamesh

Postby J Green » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:06 am

Thanks, I'll give that a try tonight. I didn't actually try to watch a movie last night. It looks like I probably won't need a micro SD after all. By the way, my grandkids love Roku. They tend to destroy the remote but they love watching so much I don't get much of a chance to watch.
J Green

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion