Before I Cut the Cord...

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Before I Cut the Cord...

Postby LaLa » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:22 pm

In the next couple of days, I'll be severing my relationship with DirecTV. Before I do, however, I'd like to know if there's any way to watch live news, such as CNN, HLN OR MSNBC on Roku or online. I'm already enjoying the news channels being offered through Roku, but I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to watch breaking news live as it unfolds in the future. On CNN's website, I've read where this is possible, but you must be a current cable or satellite tv subscriber since the login to access live content must come from one of them.

Of course, I also have questions about live sports, too, but I'm familiar with the many threads where this question is raised, so my main concern (which I still don't have answers for) is live cable news.

Any thoughts or ideas?
LaLa

Re: Before I Cut the Cord...

Postby FX4 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:34 pm

No not live but all of them have channels of their content available for streaming.
What you can get live streaming is:

CNN International (Mostly U.S. CNN in the evening)
BBC International (It's very good)
Bloomberg business news - thanks to me and a willing developer.
RT - Russian News, it's kind of a hoot to watch their anti-American spin.
Wall Street Journal has live segments throughout the day
CNBC has live streaming of the tickers but the content is delayed by an hour or two.
FOX.com broadcasts live from 9 to 3 PM - why this time I don't know.
And there are a few other International channels scattered around. You won't lack for news, it will be just a little different than you are used to watching and as far as I'm concerned better. The talking heads of the last few years on cable news give me a headache. Most of these channels actually deliver what is going on in the world rather than some talking heads opinion.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby LaLa » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:02 am

Thank you, FX4, both for the information you've shared and for your work as a developer. ;)

I've been watching several of the news channels on Roku, but didn't realize that some of the ones you've mentioned have live segments. I do enjoy catching up on the day's news on my own time in the evening (or whenever), but I suspect I will miss watching big breaking newstories live as the information is trickling in (ex: Gifford's shooting, MJ's death, Houston's death, etc.). Then again, if I get the right antenna, I'm sure those types of events can also be witnessed on network tv.

Thanks, again!
LaLa

Postby FX4 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:46 am

No I'm not a developer. I asked one of the willing developers here on the forum for the channel. Bloomberg almost always jumps to any breaking news stories. Their primary function is business news but they also cover regular news in a limited fashion.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby FX4 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:57 am

Also if news alerts are important to you, you can use an iPad and set it up for news alerts. It will give you an audible alert by any number of news services including CNN. You can probably do the same thing on a PC via RSS feeds but I don't do that since I use the iPad.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby Buckeye911 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:49 pm

FX4 wrote:Also if news alerts are important to you, you can use an iPad and set it up for news alerts. It will give you an audible alert by any number of news services including CNN. You can probably do the same thing on a PC via RSS feeds but I don't do that since I use the iPad.

You can do the same thing on any Android tablet or phone. I get audible alerts of breaking news from CNN and USA Today on my Android phone. There are plenty more sources for alerts available.
Buckeye911

Postby JimDandySTX » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:49 pm

LiveStation has live feeds from numerous new sources including Al Jazeera and euronews. A breath of fresh air if you are tired of the US Republican primaries 24/7. You can check out what they offer by streaming to your computer until you get your Roku.

P.S. After complaining on this forum and contacting LiveStation they seem to have fixed the problems I was experiencing.
JimDandySTX

Postby LaLa » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:45 pm

Thanks for the informative replies, everyone! Am watching Al Jazeera now getting a little news fix before my evening workout. I'll look into the others later-- thanks, again!
LaLa

Postby krisbee » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:26 am

The live news from outside American is actually very refreshing - but if you are worried about real live events (9/11, for example) - make sure you research putting up a TV antenna - networks will always break for those important things - and it might surprise you how easy it is to set up.

Go to www.tvfool.com to check out what you need and what channels you would get.

You can even then set up your computer to record TV and serve it to your roku if you ever get adventurous...
krisbee

Postby Garp » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:40 am

I can usually find MSNBC streaming on JustinTV. They may be other news outlets on there too, if visual quality isn't too much of an issue for you.
Garp

Postby FX4 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:46 am

I'll concede I cheat a little as far as cord cutting goes. I have an XM radio subscription for web streaming audio. If I really need to know what the U.S. cable news broadcasters are saying I'll tune into a web audio stream on my iPad. Mostly I don't because I tend to think most of them are morons (Did I say that out loud).
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby LaLa » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:12 pm

You guys are awesome!

Yes, we've thought about an antenna for live news and sports, so we may eventually go that route, too. I appreciate the TV Fool link.

I'd looked at Justin.tv a time or two before, but it appeared to be a bunch of junk (sorry to those who love that channel...just my at-a-glance impression). Will revisit it now, however, dig a little deeper and see if I can watch MSNBC.

The international news choices mentioned earlier are soooooo refreshing. Was even able to catch some of CNN's evening content on their international channel a few nights ago.

BTW, I have officially cut the cord now and am feeling quite nice about that decision. Thanks to this thread I have more than enough options for my news habit. ;)
LaLa

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion