Roku serial numbers to model

Roku's free SDK allows developers to build channels and applications and publish them to the Roku Channel Store. Register for the Developer Program at http://www.roku.com/developer

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen, RokuChris, RokuJoel

Roku serial numbers to model

Postby greubel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:11 am

Is there any relationship with the Roku serial number ranges and the Roku device type ?
greubel

Re: Roku serial numbers to model

Postby TheEndless » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:09 am

Here's what I can gather from my Instant Watch Browser linking metrics (based on the first two characters of the SN)...

20 - original Netflix player
C0 - Roku HD
D0 - Roku HD-XR
G0 - Roku SD
H0 - Roku 1 HD
J0 - Roku 1 XD
K0 - Roku 1 XD|S
N0 - Roku 1 XD (??)
11 - Roku 2 HD
12 - Roku 2 XD
13 - Roku 2 XS
16 - Roku LT

For what it's worth, what I found somewhat surprising is that the counts seem to weigh pretty heavily towards the Roku 1 XD (J0) and the Roku 2 XS (13), with those two splitting up roughly 44% of the devices linked at 22% each. The Roku 1 XD|S (K0) comes in a respectable third at 16%, and the Roku 2 XD fourth with 12%. The remaining 28% is split pretty evenly across the other 8 models.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby EnTerr » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:50 pm

TheEndless wrote:Here's what I can gather from my Instant Watch Browser linking metrics (based on the first two characters of the SN)

Thanks for sharing the stats!
"N0" is Netgear NTV250 (2050N), a re-package of XD under Netgear logo that was briefly sold in RadioShack and online.

The popularity of 2 XS is "squawk"-explanatory. 1-XD on the other hand was middle-of-the-road but had the "new remote", wifi N and "the best HD" there is(n't), on top of which 1-XS was adding just dual-N (who?) and USB which was useless then for lack of channel (and now for the limited file format support).
EnTerr

Postby sscornell97 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:12 pm

The serial number to model post from last year was very helpful. Is there any update to this list, or could someone identify the corresponding models for the serial numbers that begin with 18, 19, 1E, and 1G?
sscornell97

Postby RokuPatrick » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:56 pm

What do you want to do with the serial numbers? There aren't many (any) situations where we recommend using the serial numbers for anything other than our own support purposes. For determining what features a player supports, please use roDeviceInfo (http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/RokuSDKv48/roDeviceInfo). For linking to accounts, we recommend using a token-based authentication mechanism.
Patrick
Roku Developer Program Manager
RokuPatrick

Postby sscornell97 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:11 pm

Thanks Patrick. We have a private channel in late testing stages for a major content provider. We are using token based authentication and registration of devices, and we are not necessarily concerned with dynamically filtering the feature/function to the end consumer, but the business owners that are trying to profile the breadth of models being used by their consumers are interested in using this as a quick proxy. The previously posted serial number to model prefix indicator gave them a good starting point, but they are trying to fill in the gaps. It's purely informational to them at this point, but it also helps them to understand who is registering and how to cater their FAQ messaging to address the overall user base. Any insight would be appreciated.
sscornell97

Postby RokuMarkn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:54 pm

You can use ifDeviceInfo.GetModel() to get the model number.

--Mark
RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Return to Roku Developer Program