DirecTV HBOGO and the Roku

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

DirecTV HBOGO and the Roku

Postby advocate2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:03 am

I am on Directv and just subscribed to HBO. The HBOGO channel shows up on my Roku, but when I tried to activate, the HBO website does not list the Roku as a compatable device, although the Xbox is.

Any updates on if and when I will be able to use my HBO go on Roku?
advocate2

Re: DirecTV HBOGO and the Roku

Postby DBDukes » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:11 am

advocate2 wrote:I am on Directv and just subscribed to HBO. The HBOGO channel shows up on my Roku, but when I tried to activate, the HBO website does not list the Roku as a compatable device, although the Xbox is.

One of the kids has HBO (although with Dish Network, not DirecTV), and uses HBOGO on the Roku.

Perhaps DirecTV only allows the service on certain devices.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby DaBronx » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:12 am

advocate2 wrote:I am on Directv and just subscribed to HBO. The HBOGO channel shows up on my Roku, but when I tried to activate, the HBO website does not list the Roku as a compatable device, although the Xbox is.

You would need to contact Directv and request they add Roku as an authorized device as it is at their discretion and not Roku's. I have it through Dish Network.

A list of tv providers that are currently allowing HBOGo on the Roku is @ http://support.roku.com/entries/20585347-does-my-television-provider-offer-hbo-go-on-roku-devices.

Peace

brett
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 (still in factory sealed box), Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Postby TheEndless » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:05 am

Unfortunately, currently DirecTV is pushing the notion that their HBO OnDemand channel is as good as or better than HBO Go, so they want you to use that instead. Of course, that means you can only get it in rooms with a DirecTV receiver and DVR service, which gives them an extra $9/month. Not very customer service-y...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby j.m. » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:28 pm

TheEndless wrote:Unfortunately, currently DirecTV is pushing the notion that their HBO OnDemand channel is as good as or better than HBO Go, so they want you to use that instead. Of course, that means you can only get it in rooms with a DirecTV receiver and DVR service, which gives them an extra $9/month. Not very customer service-y...

Why would DTV allow it on Xbox 360 but not Roku? Perhaps because Microsoft made it worth DTV's while... If so, wish MS would do the same for Comcast.
j.m.

Postby TheEndless » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:44 pm

j.m. wrote:
TheEndless wrote:Unfortunately, currently DirecTV is pushing the notion that their HBO OnDemand channel is as good as or better than HBO Go, so they want you to use that instead. Of course, that means you can only get it in rooms with a DirecTV receiver and DVR service, which gives them an extra $9/month. Not very customer service-y...

Why would DTV allow it on Xbox 360 but not Roku? Perhaps because Microsoft made it worth DTV's while... If so, wish MS would do the same for Comcast.

Could be that the Xbox 360 is more likely to be on the same television as the DirecTV receiver, whereas a Roku has a better chance of being in a room that doesn't (which is where I'd really like to have HBO Go), so they don't see the Xbox as a competitor. Total speculation, of course.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby Gemini5 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:08 pm

What kind of hot mess is this? I actually brought my DirectTV account up to date just to watch the Game of Thrones on my Roku just to find out the device is not supported! :evil:

I need this FIXED! I refuse to go into my livingroom where my direct TV is to watch one show! I want my DIRECTTV on my ROKU NOW!!!!!

Thank you for listening, have a good day.
Gemini5

Postby TheEndless » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:30 pm

Gemini5 wrote:What kind of hot mess is this? I actually brought my DirectTV account up to date just to watch the Game of Thrones on my Roku just to find out the device is not supported! :evil:

I need this FIXED! I refuse to go into my livingroom where my direct TV is to watch one show! I want my DIRECTTV on my ROKU NOW!!!!!

You'll need to take that up with DirecTV. They are the ones blocking it.
TheEndless

Postby Gemini5 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:08 pm

TheEndless wrote:
Gemini5 wrote:What kind of hot mess is this? I actually brought my DirectTV account up to date just to watch the Game of Thrones on my Roku just to find out the device is not supported! :evil:

You'll need to take that up with DirecTV. They are the ones blocking it.

I had a fireside chat with DirectTV today. They better fix it of else! I ain't sacrificing my Roku player for this mess!
Gemini5

Postby gearcrasher » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:10 am

I think Directv is a little paranoid about streaming boxes. Game consoles are pretty limited in their streaming capabilities so not so much of a threat. I doubt they will back down but if you want HBO Go on your Roku you may have to change providers (if practical), and let Direct know why you are dropping them.
Roku XD
Roku HD
Roku XD/S
Logitech Revue
Sony SMP200
Directv HR21
gearcrasher

Postby Gemini5 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:51 am

gearcrasher wrote:I think Directv is a little paranoid about streaming boxes. Game consoles are pretty limited in their streaming capabilities so not so much of a threat. I doubt they will back down but if you want HBO Go on your Roku you may have to change providers (if practical), and let Direct know why you are dropping them.

That's a good point. The only reason I activated Direct tv was to watch season 2 game of thrones. If Amazon on demand had the series avaliable I would shut down direct tv again. I'mma contact Amazon right now!
Gemini5

Postby hypnos58 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:37 am

First off direct tv on demand does not have the complete programming of hbogo.Even if it did why does direct tv allow Samsung smart tv and Xbox access to hbogo but not ROKU. I guess roku has not greased the palms of direct tv yet.
hypnos58

Postby TheEndless » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:51 am

hypnos58 wrote:First off direct tv on demand does not have the complete programming of hbogo.Even if it did why does direct tv allow Samsung smart tv and Xbox access to hbogo but not ROKU. I guess roku has not greased the palms of direct tv yet.

It has nothing to do with Roku. That is a negotiation between HBO and DirecTV.
As for why it's available on Samsung SmartTVs and Xbox, I already provided a possible rationale behind that above. Those are more likely to be in your primary viewing area, where you'll already have a DirecTV receiver, whereas a Roku is much more likely to be in a secondary room where you won't, which makes it direct competition. Roku boxes are also popular with the "cord-cutter" initiative, which makes them even bigger competition.
TheEndless

Postby jbarnes1985 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:47 am

Just picked up a Roku LT today for streaming HBOgo in my bedroom so I can move my Xbox back to my big screen only to go and activate it and learn DirecTV doesn't support it. Just spent the last half hour reading info about it and have noticed a lot of people suggesting the reason is because of there Nomad box. DirecTV needs to realize that there Nomad box isn't streaming. I have one and I have to download the movie first which takes between 20-45 minutes. Why would I want to wait 20 minutes between each episode of Hung to download the next or remember to download it before I start watching. And not to point out the elephant in the room but doesn't DirecTV realize that you have a subscription to use HBOgo. So not like you can cancel your service when you get a Roku. Maybe they think people will fork over an extra $200 plus $9/month to add another Nomad box. Looks like DISH is getting a new costumer.
jbarnes1985

Postby mcbigham » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:15 pm

DirecTV supports streaming now via Xbox 360 and Samsung smart TV's with the HBO Go app so to say that they don't support streaming to TV's is not the case anymore. Comcast also supports streaming via the Xbox 360 but neither company support streaming via the Roku. Roku have taken the stance that it is between your provider and HBO to support the Roku. Since DirecTV and Comcast are support streaming to TV's via other devices I would think that Roku would step in for their customers and demand support via the Roku. Both Companies support HBO Go streaming to TV's but they are clearly just selective about which devices they will allow with Roku customers being left out.
mcbigham

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion