Error Code 014

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Error Code 014

Postby lpfowlie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:04 am

change your dns to a public on..how do I do this, thanks
lpfowlie

Postby knuckle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:48 am

most routers allow you to set your dns in their setup page If you need step by step post your router make and model and will try to help ya get it going :)
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all hooked wireless via Linksys WRT54G running tomato firmware

favorite channel-- Justin TV
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby diokan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Well, I changed my router's default DNS to Open DNS' servers as well as reset the Roku (before changing the DNS which shouldn't make any difference at all). Same slow loading problem on the 2 XS. I haven't seen the error code 014 yet, but it's still early in the testing. I do have it drop the video out and say "Loading" in the middle of a stream and quality dropping to a grainy picture at times.

And. somewhat not surprisingly, my older Roku box , my laptops, Kindle Fire and Android phones are still not having any problems. I think this is clearly a problem with the 2 XS.

Anything else I can try before giving up?
diokan

Postby destruk » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:26 pm

I got a 50ft ethernet cable for my roku2 XS - going to run it under the house tomorrow and then I bet it'll run faster for me. Speed test for Roku1 wirless on the same network, in the same room gets 5MB/sec, the roku2 wireless gets 38kbps
update - with the cat5 ran the roku2 gets about 1mbps, so much better than the wireless.
destruk

Postby SteveZ » Wed May 16, 2012 1:03 pm

I too have had the ERROR 14! I understand that this is a common problem. ROKU wanted my "Network Password" I did not understand what they were asking for, but now I know and I hope I can help a lot of you! First of all log into your router (192.168.1.1) and in wireless settings look for security options, and select WPA or WPA2 it has a box for a passphrase. Use a long phrase that you can easily remember like "shesellseashellsbythesea" then hit the apply button and wait for the change to take place. Then try ROKU again, this time when it asks for the "NETWORK PASSWORD" type in shesellseashellsbythesea that is what ROKU is looking for. I hpe this helps somebody, as it worked for me. Your other alternative is to use no security at all, and I don't recommend that!
SteveZ

Postby tdlittle » Thu May 17, 2012 5:27 pm

So I had this problem and tech support was useless. No one could even tell me what the error code meant and no one suggested the forums. I don't know if this is always the case because no will tell me what the error code is triggered by or what the steps are in the "connect to local network" during setup. To be frank despite all the conversation here int he forums I haven't seen any definitive responses about these topics either.

I finally gave up and did a packet capture on the link between my AP and my router. It was very clear that the roku was successfully getting an IP address via DHCP and then dropped the link when my router failed to respond to pings. My router does not respond to ping for security reasons. The roku action of pinging the gateway is meaningless if it has already successfully received an IP address.

My question is directed to roku: Is it possible to disable the ping to the gateway during the network connection process or ping the endpoint server which would verify connectivity is a useful manner?

Terry
tdlittle

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu May 17, 2012 5:42 pm

Turning off the ping response in your router does almost nothing to increase security and it adversely impacts many devices, including Roku, that you may want to connect at some time.

The idea that turning off ping response increases security comes from outmoded ideas that originated early on in internet security circles but it is of almost no value at this time there are many better and easier ways for hackers to discover your router if they have interest but home networks are very far down the list of hacker targets.

Just enable ping response if you wish your Roku to work correctly.
Gilgamesh

Postby tdlittle » Thu May 17, 2012 9:24 pm

A wireless network is an easy target though and if all i did was shut off echo reply i would agree with you. My router is properly configured and does everything it can do to provide ptotection from unsuffisticated hackers. While I agree that homes are low priority targets they are still targeted on occasion. Would you run WEP on your wireless network?

To turn your question around what is accomplished by the Roku device pinging my gateway. It doesn't provide any usefull information and since Roku isn't providing an actionable error response it is doublly meaningless, their tsch support doesn't even have the information.

I may be a bit more paraniod than the typical home user but then I deal with network security on a daily basis and have a very thorough understanding of the risks that exist.

Terry
tdlittle

Postby RickRansom » Fri May 18, 2012 12:19 pm

tdlittle wrote: Would you run WEP on your wireless network?
No, I only use WPA2[AES only]+wireless MAC filtering to make sure everything is uptight.
To turn your question around what is accomplished by the Roku device pinging my gateway. It doesn't provide any usefull information and since Roku isn't providing an actionable error response it is doublly meaningless, their tsch support doesn't even have the information.
Check this post.
RokuMarkn wrote:The Roku usually pings the router once every 5 seconds to monitor network connectivity.
Disabling WAN side pings is a very appropriate security measure that everyone should take.
Disabling LAN side pings offers no security unless you don't trust the computers in your LAN (in which case you've got much bigger problems than potential internal DDOS attacks on your router). Disabling LAN side pings just makes network debugging/maintenance harder and interferes with devices like the Roku which ping their gateway.

Many users have already reported that roku level 1 support has a very limited scope of knowledge and if not, reading from a script. There have also been positive reports, but not that many. Bottom line is, I wouldn't even expect them to know what the roku does other than stream shows from their /appschannels. There's more to the roku than just streaming - that much I know. If in anyway you can get a hold of one of the roku engineers from the forums, they'll give you a much more in-depth explanation on what's really happening.

I also tried to run a wire-shark on the roku once, and I must say that the little critter is a little too talkative for something that comes in such a small package. If I were to make a guess - it always wants to check on your gateway to make sure it can run through it's programs without causing you any problems. Imagine if you left the roku idle for a while and it can't verify the connection anymore since it isn't pinging your gateway. When you get back to it and you try to check a channel, it will load for a bit, and tell you it couldn't find the connection or what not. Getting a ping on your router every 5 seconds for me is just a bit too frequent than I would have imagined, but it has no issues for me whatsoever(none that I can visibly observe at least).

If you are running WEP for your wireless, at least create a limited number of DHCP clients(usually number of devices+2) and set a DHCP reservation for your devices. Running a wireless MAC filter from your AP to make sure only those in your approved list can go online. Heck, hide your SSID so that nobody will see it(or at least won't notice it). I think you probably know all these suggestions already, but I have been using my roku for quite some time and it has never given me any head aches other than having those occasional Netflix outage issues(can't remember when the last wide-spread outage was).
Everyone is a genius.
But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

-A Einstein
RickRansom

Postby tdlittle » Tue May 22, 2012 12:54 pm

I don't disagree with anything you said, for a LAN, unfortunately we aren't dealing with a LAN but a WLAN, on a LAN you have an added physical security element, and I would normally not turn off ping. I still maintain that pinging my local router doesn't tell the application anything useful, there are NO services on my local network that are used by the Roku app after it gets an IP address from DHCP. A heartbeat check with the Roku servers would be useful, it would verify useful connectivity. And as you said the thing is ridiculously chatty.

My point with the WEP question was targeted at the whole question of security balanced with usefulness. No one who understands the technical issues and has the option would run WEP vs WPA or preferably WPA2. If the gateway ping provided useful information than the impact on usability would be an arguable point. My position is that the only thing that is accomplished is a, admittedly small, decrease in security. Since it is easy to NOT ping the gateway, and it does not actually provide useful information then in my mind security wins.

Terry
tdlittle

Postby diokan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:25 am

After doing a bunch of things to fix this problem, including resetting the Roku, changing my router's DNS settings to OpenDNS, etc and *STILL* experiencing this annoying problem, The software update to 4.7 build 2049 has clearly resolved the problem. I'm not sure what was done in this update, but I'm now able to stream most content without the "Loading" message coming up. :? :)
diokan

Postby rkland » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:42 am

Good morning, the issue here is with error code 014. I have two Roku boxes, 1st (larger box) and 2nd Gen (first update with purple tag on side), bought new. Wirelessly connected to a Linksys E2500 router, cable internet connection at 15Mbps down 8Mbps up with bursting capability. Both boxes have successfully worked with this router for some time, trouble has happnened before, but was somehow resolved by power cycling and multiple attempts at reconnecting. This is not the case during attempts for the past few days, both will connect to router (access point), no network/internet connection (last 2 of 3 "lights" red in connection screen). Working just fine this past weekend. I have multiple other devices on the network that never have trouble, 3 iPhones, Wii, Sony Blu Ray (wired), 2 PC's, tablet, IP security cam, all wireless (with the exception of Blu Ray) and no issues. I have even tried connecting with nothing else on network. Only these two devices run into problems. I have rebooted modem, router, Roku boxes, tried WPA2 protected (currently active and how both boxes have worked fine in the past) and unprotected. There is no option for wired in the locations, and again, these boxes routinely perform well which is even more confusing. Please let me know what other information I can provide in order to gain some assistance. Thank you in advance!
rkland

Postby rkland » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:00 am

Trekkeriii and All,

Still having connection problems with both a first and second gen Roku box. To date this is all, that I can immediately recall, that has been attempted to remedy:

Complete reboot of all devices on network, modem, router
Several router setting changes with power cycling as needed including, switching from auto 20MHz-40MHz to 20MHz, dedicating various channels including 1,6,11 on the 2.4GHz band. Disabling 5GHz band, disabling firewall, disabling WPA2 Personal security, creating new password, switching the boxes physical locations, adding recommneded static DNS addresses, factory reset of one of the units, and I may be forgetting some others adjustments, however, even with mix and matching all of these settings, rebooting as needed, etc, both boxes would connect to access point always, sometimes one would connect under certain cicumstances and the other would not, after switching rooms, the box that was performing would then not, but, both boxes had worked in both rooms, literally feet apart, at times......to give a short back history, I have had gen one since 2009 and gen 2 since 2011, there has been no changes, additions, adjustments to my router or network since BOTH boxes quit connecting only 4 days ago. Sure I have had them drop, had to power cycle or reconnect to network, but never anything like this. Two different models of differenet age.

I am looking for anything that I could have possbily missed in the hours spent trouble shooting this yesterday. Currently, Roku has offered to replace my gen 2 model still under warranty. It was the least to eliminate the possibility that both are faulty, and that happend on literally the same day, as I had used both this past weekend. I fear it will not be resolved with a new box as once I was able to get the gen 1 to connect in one room, it would not in the other, and again, would not when returned....basically it is totally hit or miss if one or the other box will connect in either room under various settings on the router which has literally never been an issue days ago, nothing on my end has changed.....please help! And thank you so much in advance!
rkland

Postby seanhu0399 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:33 am

I'm having this issue as well. The strange part about it is that I actually own two Roku 2 devices but, as of last night, only one is unable to connect. Considering they are identical, I find it incredibly odd that only one is not working correctly. This is frustrating and, after the seemingly endless problems I had getting them to connect properly upon my initial purchase (approximately 9 months ago), I'm having more and more trouble recommending this device. This is unfortunate considering how great it is when it works. What a shame.
seanhu0399

Postby rkland » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:42 am

I could not agree with you more. I had reccommended this device to many people and for me, the gen 1 worked great for almost 3 years.....the gen 2 over a year, however, now both all of sudden stop working, not one or the other, and they do have limited and intermittent connectivity when tweaking the router settings. The several hour troubleshooting session did not resolve the issue. I never changed any settings, nor did I have to in order to keep all my devices, including the 2 Roku boxes connected consistently with no issue. All of a sudden, they are the only two devices out of almost a dozen, that are having trouble. Very, very, strange. I am glad I have access to Netflix on my LG Blu Ray, otherwise I would be stuck with the PC. I am now looking into other devics that have access to Netflix as I would like to make it accessible on my 3 primary TV's (as was the case), and eliminate cable which was the plan. This was a terrible time for this to happen as my faith in these boxes is now gone and plan on hold. Although the support staff is helpfull and willing to stick with you to try all possiblities, I myself am worn out with this. Two days and several hours, still not working as they did just days ago. I will accept a replacement of the gen 2 as offered to see if there is a chance both boxes just happened to crap out the same day, highly unlikely, but I will not be purchasing any new products from them. Please let me know if you find a solution!
rkland

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion