Roku not showing as media device in Windows Network

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku not showing as media device in Windows Network

Postby ladyinred » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:38 am

I am running Windows 7 Home Professional and I recently got a Roku XDS. My Roku is wired to my router, and my laptop is generally connected wirelessly to my router but I am getting the same difficulties even if I have a wired connection to my router.

I have noticed that in my Windows 7 Network settings, it lists my Media Devices. My PC is listed here. Roku Streaming Player sometimes shows up here, and sometimes it doesn't. If I keep the window open for a few minutes, I see the Roku icon go away and come back several times.

Even when my Roku is not showing up under Network, I can ping my Roku from my command prompt. My Roku is not having issues with most channels but it is having an issue with Plex and I think the problem may be with the Roku and not Plex, which is why I am posting here. My Roku is frequently unable to see the Plex Media Server on my laptop, even when I can ping the Roku from my laptop, and even when antivirus/firewall software is off and I've rebooted. My connection to the Plex Media Server comes and goes frequently. I think it may be related to the fact that Windows 7 is not consistently detecting Roku as a media device.

Any idea why Roku is not consistently showing up as a media device in Windows? Thanks!
ladyinred

Re: Roku not showing as media device in Windows Network

Postby knuckle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:50 am

is NDIS enabled on your laptops network adapter? If your laptop recognizes and holds the roku in network if you hook it up wired I imagine the trouble will be in the adapter settings

good luck
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all hooked wireless via Linksys WRT54G running tomato firmware

favorite channel-- Justin TV
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RickRansom » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:13 pm

I have my workstation and roku players set with a static ip from the router via dhcp reservation. I don't have any problems with the plex channel on the roku to find the plex media server on my workstation. This may or may not be what you're looking for, but I hope it helps.
Everyone is a genius.
But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

-A Einstein
RickRansom

Postby scyber » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:08 am

I don't think the 2 issues are related. I have the same issue with the Roku not always appearing as a media device in windows 7 (and I have a theory as to why), but I have no issues connecting to Plex.

You said you have Plex running on the laptop, does the laptop frequently switch IP addresses? There is a current Plex Channel bug where the Roku will not update the changed PMS IP address on autodiscovery if it has cached the server previously. If your laptop IP address changes, my guess is that is the bug you are seeing.
scyber

Postby scyber » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:11 am

Oh and switching between wireless and wired will only cause the bug since many (most?) routers will hand out separate IP addresses to each interface. In addition, I believe the PMS only binds to one interface at a time (could be wrong here).
scyber

Postby castalla » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:26 am

I think it's a Plex issue.

I see the same behaviour with Plex server on a wired win7 PC, and Plex client on another win7 wireless PC.

The client keeps losing the Plex server - makes it useless.

Plex support and forums are not really helpful - often no replies or a post lies there for months unaswered.
castalla

Postby ladyinred » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:33 am

Thank you all for the replies. It is good to hear others are having the same issue. Scyber, what is your theory for why Roku is not consistently appearing in Network settings? Castalla, I also posted on the Plex forum about a week ago but no response, as you said.

Especially big thanks to RickRansom. I set up both the laptop and the Plex server with DHCP reservations and it has worked the last 4 times I tried it. Not sure if it will continue to work because it worked randomly before, but it is at least a higher hit rate than before! I am not quite sure why this worked (if it truly has worked) because I checked my laptop IP several times before setting up DHCP reservations and it had not changed its IP address, and the issue would come and go every few minutes, but I won't question it too much if the problem is solved. I will update again in a few days as to whether this solution seems to have worked permanently.
ladyinred

Postby scyber » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:32 am

ladyinred wrote:Scyber, what is your theory for why Roku is not consistently appearing in Network settings?

First let me state that once again, this is merely a theory. I have not verified it nor even tested it. It is just my guess based on the behavior I saw.

The Roku implemented SSDP (simple service discovery protocol) in order to make it more easily discoverable for ECP apps. This is the same protocol used for discovery by DLNA/UPnP. The Roku announces itself on the network and gives a url that can be used to find an XML file that describes its services. That XML lives on port 8060 on the roku box. The file itself is in a DLNA/UPnP format with DLNA/UPnP values. The problem is that the Roku is not a DLNA/UPnP device so many of the urls listed in the file are invalid. So my guess is that Windows sees the broadcast and thinks that the Roku is a DLNA/UPnP device (adding it to the network screen), but then times out/errors out trying to verify the different features/urls. After it times/errors out, the listing is removed from the network screen. Since the SSDP broadcasts and response happen every once and a while on a network, the Roku may appear and then disappear from the network devices screen.

Once again, only a theory/guess. Don't rely on this for a definitive answer.
scyber

Postby RickRansom » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:58 pm

ladyinred wrote:Thank you all for the replies...I set up both the laptop and the Plex server with DHCP reservations and it has worked the last 4 times I tried it. Not sure if it will continue to work because it worked randomly before, but it is at least a higher hit rate than before! I am not quite sure why this worked (if it truly has worked) because I checked my laptop IP several times before setting up DHCP reservations and it had not changed its IP address, and the issue would come and go every few minutes, but I won't question it too much if the problem is solved. I will update again in a few days as to whether this solution seems to have worked permanently.

If there are less variables in the setup, the more easier it is in pin-pointing the root of the issue. I'm glad to know that Plex has been working much more stable than it used to on your setup(I hope I don't jinx it). BTW, scryber does have a good point. Although I can't prove his argument, it is highly plausible. :)
Everyone is a genius.

-A Einstein
RickRansom

Postby dwanthny » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:08 am

RickRansom wrote:If there are less variables in the setup, the more easier it is in pin-pointing the root of the issue. I'm glad to know that Plex has been working much more stable than it used to on your setup(I hope I don't jinx it).

I happen to have everything in my network assigned static IPs and Plex works great for me.

RickRansom wrote:BTW, scryber does have a good point. Although I can't prove his argument, it is highly plausible.

Any idea what you might have to have active on your PC for this theory to be plausible?
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby RickRansom » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:25 pm

dwanthny wrote:
RickRansom wrote:BTW, scryber does have a good point. Although I can't prove his argument, it is highly plausible.

Any idea what you might have to have active on your PC for this theory to be plausible?

Nothing out of the ordinary, really. I run a Cisco E3000 at home and I set static IPs on all my media devices from my PS3 down to my Rokus, HTPC, and PC(workstation). I usually keep my workstation on 24/7 and that's where I have plex installed so I don't see any reason for my setup to get any wobbly - in fact, it handles plex very gracefully. With an i5-2500k, 8gigz of ram, GTX560-ti on a z68 mobo, I wouldn't expect less. My setup isn't top notch, but I make sure I don't keep any bloatwares to keep my system running as smoothly as it should. :mrgreen:
Everyone is a genius.

-A Einstein
RickRansom

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion