Roku & more than 1 TV

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku & more than 1 TV

Postby skr31 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:55 am

Hi....I am new to this & wanted to know if I wanted to have Roku on more than 1 TV what do I do?? Do I just need to buy another Roku player & hook it up to the other TV & then it can be used the same way?? More than 1 player will not interfere with the others right?? You can watch 2 different TVs at the same time using a player for each TV right??
skr31

Re: Roku & more than 1 TV

Postby dwanthny » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:10 am

skr31 wrote:You can watch 2 different TVs at the same time using a player for each TV right??

Yes.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby FX4 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:21 am

No they will not directly interfere. There are a couple of caveats though. If you are running wireless and trying to stream to both televisions you may run into problems because of the nature of wireless. Also there could be problems if you have a slow internet connection.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby catastrophegirl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:04 am

i'm in a 4 roku household and we often run 2 rokus at the same time. some of the channels may not let you use them simultaneously on both rokus but if you are watching different channels and have good bandwidth and a strong home network there's no reason not to have multiple rokus
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Postby DBDukes » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:28 am

Let me throw one thing in.

Are both Roku devices going to be using the IR remotes? And, if so, are they located in such a way that when you point the remote at one, it could be confused as being pointed at the other? For example, to adjoining rooms, but layed out in such a way that if the door is open, you can see both Roku boxes?

What I'm saying is one remote can control two boxes at the same time if it can see both boxes at the same time.

I set up my granddaughter's new Roku for her, and did so in the same room as my Roku. Though I had the TV switched to her (temporary) Roku input, my Roku was picking up the remote actions. When I finished hers, mine was all buggered up, because I was actually performing the remote actions on both boxes without realizing it.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion