Roku from USA?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Roku from USA?

Postby castalla » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:10 pm

stratcat96 wrote:oh how witty. Don't be mad because they don't make it easy to commit fraud

What do you mean fraud ... the broadcasters are ignoring a legal directive from the EU Commission that tv must not be deliberately blocked between EU member states.

So, it's horses for courses ....
castalla

Postby stratcat96 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:27 pm

castalla wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:oh how witty. Don't be mad because they don't make it easy to commit fraud

What do you mean fraud ... the broadcasters are ignoring a legal directive from the EU Commission that tv must not be deliberately blocked between EU member states.

So, it's horses for courses ....

hmmm well you have 3 choices then. 1. Sue the BBC. 2. Get an iPad to watch the international version of the iPlayer, or 3. spend the money to buy a Roku (or other box) that is marketed to the UK market and try to use it with your VPN. Roku isn't going to help you circumvent their business partners' Terms of Service no matter how you justify it. All the rude remarks you come up with directed at users on this board across the threads you have posted aren't going to change these
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby castalla » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:31 pm

Oh dear ... you're really getting in a tiff over this. Calm down - it's not that important.
castalla

Postby tsddave » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:28 pm

Seems like this thread went abit silly, maybe I can get it back on track.

BBC iplayer is a Roku channel store supplied channel on a UK Roku box but this version is blocked to the US region box.
BBC iplayer can also be used from PLEX which is not region specific in terms of having the actual channel.
PLEX can be got from the channel store and used on US Roku boxes and I suspect also UK boxes also.
PLEX offers a huge amount of channels aside from BBC iplayer and is totally free!

Whichever box or channel version a user uses they will need to use a vpn or dns service to view the BBC iplayer content from outside of the UK.
This is not illegal in the country outside of the UK that the user lives in. The companies supplying these services are not breaking the law either. There is no international law regarding this.It is illegal in England to broadcast British channels so they can be watched outside of the UK though.
This is why services like Filmon on broadcast British channels from the USA! It is also why Catch UP TV UK does everything it can to block those outside the UK viewing the content they host.

I hope this helps anyone who wishes to know about this.
As an ending note I think people should keep in mind that this is a forum that should be kept friendly and helpful.
tsddave

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:33 pm

tsddave wrote:Seems like this thread went abit silly, maybe I can get it back on track.

BBC iplayer is a Roku channel store supplied channel on a UK Roku box but this version is blocked to the US region box.
BBC iplayer can also be used from PLEX which is not region specific in terms of having the actual channel.
PLEX can be got from the channel store and used on US Roku boxes and I suspect also UK boxes also.
PLEX offers a huge amount of channels aside from BBC iplayer and is totally free!

Whichever box or channel version a user uses they will need to use a vpn or dns service to view the BBC iplayer content from outside of the UK.
This is not illegal in the country outside of the UK that the user lives in. The companies supplying these services are not breaking the law either. There is no international law regarding this.It is illegal in England to broadcast British channels so they can be watched outside of the UK though.
This is why services like Filmon on broadcast British channels from the USA! It is also why Catch UP TV UK does everything it can to block those outside the UK viewing the content they host.

I hope this helps anyone who wishes to know about this.
As an ending note I think people should keep in mind that this is a forum that should be kept friendly and helpful.

Guys and gals, regarding the VPN issue, I will say this until I get an official word: "Using a VPN to circumvent established copyright laws, as well as broadcast laws, is illegal and against the ToS of many of the broadcasters. Broadcasters have the right to establish where and how their media will be played. Discussion of VPN topics to circumvent this is verboten on the Roku forums, and will get a thread locked in a heartbeat.

I'm following this thread closely, and will do what I have to do to deal with it. I'm content to let it stand now, but be aware that VPN's are quasi-legal territory for streaming media at best.

IE, don't discuss it here. Take it to PM's or emails.

The only warning for this thread.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby banu » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:44 am

My Roku bought from the USA and updated in the UK to Firmware 4.3 will not allow me to login to my Netflix UK account.

I am currently waiting for ROku support to find out what the problem is.

Everything else works perfectly on the Roku. iPlayer, PLEX etc...

Can anyone help?
banu

Postby __5 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:57 am

Not sure if that would help, try to deactivate Netflix Account & re-activate it again - click here.

also, see This post.

Good luck
__5

Postby banu » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:46 am

roku5 wrote:Not sure if that would help, try to deactivate Netflix Account & re-activate it again - click here.

also, see This post.

Good luck

I've looked into this but I don't have any devices to deactivate.

Tried activating a device but it asks for a code, where do i get this from?
banu

Postby banu » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:48 am

RokuMarkn wrote:US and UK firmware are different. Besides obvious cosmetic differences like date formatting, language changes ("movie" vs "film", "show" vs "programme", etc), and which channels are available, there are more substantial changes under the hood (for example, rules for wifi settings are different in different countries). The proper firmware is loaded when the box is manufactured and under the normal course of operation, a box will never change from one region's firmware to another (that is, a change in IP address won't change the firmware). It will save you a lot of hassle if you purchase the box which is designed for the country in which you will use it.

--Mark

Ok, so can I change my US firmware to UK firmware?

I have a US purchased Roku which I want to use in the UK for Netflix
banu

Postby tsddave » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:52 am

From what ive read on this forum previously from moderators they can do this for you , so yes :)
tsddave

Postby banu » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:53 am

tsddave wrote:From what ive read on this forum previously from moderators they can do this for you , so yes :)

OK, thank you.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE could a moderator do this for me... PLEASE
banu

Postby RickRansom » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:44 pm

banu wrote:Ok, so can I change my US firmware to UK firmware?

I have a US purchased Roku which I want to use in the UK for Netflix

Are you using a Roku 2 or a Roku LT? IIRC, the first generation roku players won't work in the UK. I checked your previous posts and none of them mentioned the model of roku player that you have. Just wanted to make sure we have all the bases covered. :mrgreen:
Retired
RickRansom

Postby __5 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:46 am

^^^
banu wrote:.... updated in the UK to Firmware 4.3 ....
__5

Postby DBDukes » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:02 am

banu wrote:
tsddave wrote:From what ive read on this forum previously from moderators they can do this for you , so yes :)

OK, thank you.

Maybe if you sent a PM to one about getting the specific firmware for your location? I suspect they get notices when a PM is sent. That way they won't have to scroll across the boards until they notice your message. Might be quicker if you did the PM route. The moderator's names are all in red, so they're pretty easy to spot.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:18 am

DBDukes wrote:
banu wrote:

OK, thank you.

Maybe if you sent a PM to one about getting the specific firmware for your location? I suspect they get notices when a PM is sent. That way they won't have to scroll across the boards until they notice your message. Might be quicker if you did the PM route. The moderator's names are all in red, so they're pretty easy to spot.

In particular RokuShawnS is probably the one to PM as he is the liaison for the user community here. He has been extremely helpful in many cases.
Gilgamesh

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion