Fitness / Exercise Channels - Which one?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Fitness / Exercise Channels - Which one?

Postby KennyJ » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:10 pm

Hey all. I'm looking to find some home exercises to add to my routine and noticed that Roku now has quite a few channels for exercise videos. Has anyone tried any? Any you recommend? Especially the pay ones, as there isn't usually a way to test them out first.

Here's a list I found from Roku's website (don't have access to the channel store on the Roku at the moment): http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store#14

The Gymbox
Live Exercise
Pliates Anytime
SportSkool Fitness
SportSkool Yoga

From memory, I seem to remember some others too? I think Gaiam and something like Fitness.tv or something like that.
KennyJ

Re: Fitness / Exercise Channels - Which one?

Postby philsoft » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:20 pm

KennyJ wrote:Hey all. I'm looking to find some home exercises to add to my routine and noticed that Roku now has quite a few channels for exercise videos. Has anyone tried any? Any you recommend? Especially the pay ones, as there isn't usually a way to test them out first.

Here's a list I found from Roku's website (don't have access to the channel store on the Roku at the moment): http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store#14

The Gymbox
Live Exercise
Pliates Anytime
SportSkool Fitness
SportSkool Yoga

From memory, I seem to remember some others too? I think Gaiam and something like Fitness.tv or something like that.

The Gymbox is decent, but I would say that Netfit probably is the best of the ones I have tried it is (IIRC) 9 dollars a month and I think the Gymbox was 10 dollars a month.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby catastrophegirl » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:21 pm

if you want to try out some free ones first there are quite a selection of free fitness programs in nowhereTV and ITPC
the gymbox had a free trial last i checked
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Postby KennyJ » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:48 pm

catastrophegirl wrote:if you want to try out some free ones first there are quite a selection of free fitness programs in nowhereTV and ITPC
the gymbox had a free trial last i checked

Thanks. I'll look into the podcasts/nowhere tv. Didn't think of that. I may try out the Gymbox free trial. Too bad Netfit doesn't offer one (at least I don't think they do).
KennyJ

Postby KennyJ » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:11 pm

philsoft wrote:The Gymbox is decent, but I would say that Netfit probably is the best of the ones I have tried it is (IIRC) 9 dollars a month and I think the Gymbox was 10 dollars a month.

I checked out Netfit in more detail. This looks nice. I'm trying to lose weight and it looks like they have different workout plans, including a 90-day weight loss workout plan. That appeals to me, because it's something I can commit to (I'm currently doing Power 90).
KennyJ

Postby knuckle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:20 pm

I recommend blastro-- tho its not a work out channel tryin to keep up with the kids dancin in some of those videos my girls play like to have killed me :D
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000
knuckle

Postby philsoft » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:22 pm

KennyJ wrote:
philsoft wrote:The Gymbox is decent, but I would say that Netfit probably is the best of the ones I have tried it is (IIRC) 9 dollars a month and I think the Gymbox was 10 dollars a month.

I checked out Netfit in more detail. This looks nice. I'm trying to lose weight and it looks like they have different workout plans, including a 90-day weight loss workout plan. That appeals to me, because it's something I can commit to (I'm currently doing Power 90).

I had a conversation with Chris from Netfit a month or so ago and he hinted that they might be adding a section for healthy cooking in the not too distant future too. :)

ETA:
I have spent some time trying the free stuff in the past, and although it is well worth the cost :) you definitely get a better quality on the pay channels.
philsoft

Postby KennyJ » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Ill probably wait until I'm done with power 90 to subscribe... but I think that's the direction ill go. I did check out Live Exercise and that looked pretty good for free. But like you said not quite as good ss the samples I saw from netfitness which included different people for different fitness levels, support, website companion, etc.
KennyJ

Postby catastrophegirl » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:09 pm

philsoft wrote:
I had a conversation with Chris from Netfit a month or so ago and he hinted that they might be adding a section for healthy cooking in the not too distant future too. :)

ifoodtv has a new totally free healthy cooking channel in the channel store tonight and it says it has videos specific to many different specialized diets.
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Postby KennyJ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 am

catastrophegirl wrote:
philsoft wrote:

ifoodtv has a new totally free healthy cooking channel in the channel store tonight and it says it has videos specific to many different specialized diets.

I checked it out. It's pretty nice. There's also an allrecipes channel.
KennyJ

Postby philsoft » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:14 am

catastrophegirl wrote:
philsoft wrote:

I saw that and skimmed through some of the stuff. There are some really good recipes. I am hoping that Netfit will include some of the food stuff because they can go into detail about complex vs simple carbs, and good fats vs bad fats, etc.
philsoft

Postby whitsugo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:58 pm

I LOVE the gymbox! They have so many different classes, new ones added every single week! It is totally worth the $10 every month...not having to work my schedule around the gym schedule or my kids schedules is awesome! I love the instructors on the gymbox too! They are great, they are all certified too...which for me is reassuring knowing that they know what they are talking about. And they always give options if anything is too advanced. Basically I love them the most out of anything I have found in the channel store so far. Good luck :)
whitsugo

Postby alfonsoneryy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:03 pm

philsoft wrote:
KennyJ wrote:

ETA:
I have spent some time trying the free stuff in the past, and although it is well worth the cost :) you definitely get a better quality on the pay channels.

thank you for the information, I was looking for this, eat a healthy diet is also important for the body, may be able to find the right recipe and delicious.
alfonsoneryy

Postby bham-mama » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:26 am

I combine The Gymbox with SparkPeople.com and I will never, ever need a gym again! I love how The Gymbox always has new and interesting content. The trainers are awesome and VERY knowledgeable. And, since I workout at home, my 5yr old sees me taking care of my body and often joins in doing her version of the exercise. An example of healthy living that I never saw as a child.
bham-mama

Postby KennyJ » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:47 am

I'll definitely give the free trial a try on Gymbox then.

I've been using Myfitnesspal while I'm doing Power 90 and have actually lost about 27 pounds in the last 7 weeks. I'm a big guy though, so it comes off a little faster. :)
KennyJ

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion