Roku status on offerring the Vudu channel

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Roku status on offerring the Vudu channel

Postby scyber » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:28 am

FX4 wrote:I contacted them too and received two different responses from the same email. The first response was we are working on it and the second response was it is up to Roku. Different responses from different people. I don't know what to make of it.

The only thing to make of it is that the people answering emails are typically the lowest people on the totem pole with little details on future plans.

And if it is outsourced (domestically or internationally), those people are sometimes "encouraged" to keep their mail queues empty. So often responses will go out ASAP w/o them having exact knowledge of the situation. If you don't follow up, then they have accomplished their goals of keeping the mail queue empty. I've managed a domestically outsourced team of csr's once and I got the company fired b/c of BS practices like this. They considered sending out incorrect information ok as long the customer reply rate was below an acceptable threshold.
scyber

Postby cwniles » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:27 am

stratcat96 wrote:I only had it for a week but the Sony Smp-n200 had both Vudu and Amazon. Maybe that's an anomaly because Sony paid beacoup buck to make it happen.. Who knows what's up with all the silliness

I have a Sony Blu-Ray player and yeah, it has Vudu & Amazon plus a branded You-Tube channel so obviously the folks at Sony have bucketloads of cash to throw at licensing deals. (and possibly receive preferential treatment but that is purely speculation)

As far as Vudu, yeah, it's pretty nice, not that superior to Amazon IMHO but it does offer slightly higher quality audio & video though at the prices they charge it almost makes more sense to get a Blu-Ray copy, especially if you can snag one on sale. (I got 300, Troy & Alexander in one package for $5! and not shoddy copies either, all are on their own disk with a full offering of special features and uncompressed audio tracks etc., easily superior to watching on Vudu or Amazon in every imaginable way.)

But yeah, I sent an e-mail to Vudu, ya' never know.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Postby herno74 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:41 am

I'm definitely more interested in Vudu if not just to convert all my DVD's to digital copies that is now being offered through Wal-Mart. Would love to have an instant queue of my collection. Vudu even offers obscure titles that I have that were only available in foreign markets and worked on Region Free DVD players.

Until Amazon starts a service similiar to this, Vudu is going to be on my want list for Roku.
herno74

Postby pjoshua5000 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:13 pm

However, I believe that Wal-Mart's DVD to Vudu only works through Vudu. I don't think you can transfer them to another Ultraviolet service. However, I'm not certain about that. It would be great that you be able to do that. But I think its lock into Vudu, kind of defeating the purpose of Ultraviolet. Let's just hope I'm wrong :)
pjoshua5000

Postby DaBronx » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:52 am

Here is what was in PC Mag on it.

Walmart also said that the service will focus on Vudu, not the UltraViolet technology that the same studios endorsed at the CES show in January. UltraViolet has its own digital locker scheme, which is compatible with what Vudu is offering. According to Edward Lichty, Vudu's general manager, uploading the movie to a digital format will put it into the UltraViolet cloud; users will be able to watch that movie with another UltraViolet-compatible client, such as Flixster, or take a previously purchased UV movie and view it using Vudu.

The full article is @ http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401511,00.asp

Peace

brett
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 (still in factory sealed box), Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion