NBC.com channel?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

NBC.com channel?

Postby xlilcasper » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:20 am

Is there any channels that can stream the videos found on NBC.com? We just cut cable but my wife wants to watch The Voice still. I have been unable to find it anywhere other then NBC's website. I thought if it was on there it would be easy to find a channel for it. I've had no luck so far. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance.
xlilcasper

Re: NBC.com channel?

Postby vnzjunk » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:34 am

Check out NowhereTV in the channel store. Also a quick google search turned up

NBC News Launches on Roku! | The Official Roku ...
blog.roku.com/blog/.../breaking-news-nbc-news-launches-on-roku/
Dec 6, 2011 – If you're an avid Roku streamer you may have already spotted the iconic peacock in the Channel Store. NBC News, our latest news channel, ...
xlilcasper wrote:Is there any channels that can stream the videos found on NBC.com? We just cut cable but my wife wants to watch The Voice still. I have been unable to find it anywhere other then NBC's website. I thought if it was on there it would be easy to find a channel for it. I've had no luck so far. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance.
vnzjunk

Postby mjpm » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:54 am

You could check out USTVNow or get a good OTA antenna.
----------------------------
Cut the FIOS cord on 4/2/12.
mjpm

Postby gearcrasher » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:04 am

The only official way to get network content is via Hulu Plus (7. 95 mo). Simplest and free way of course is to use an over the air antenna if possible.
Roku XD
Roku HD
Roku XD/S
Logitech Revue
Sony SMP200
Directv HR21
gearcrasher

Postby vnzjunk » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:31 am

The NBC television network, NBC.com, and NBC-Sports network are 3 different entities. NBC television network (live) is obviously OTA. Clips from it are available from Hulu and other 'unoficial' sources. Also on the computer and streamed via whatever method you might have at your disposal to your TV screen. NBC-Sports network is the old Versus network rebranded.

All are available either officially or 'unofficially' via the Roku. Google search is your best source of how along with the various streaming message boards which abound, not including this one which only includes discussion of the official Roku channels.

Your mileage may and probably will vary.............. :lol:
vnzjunk

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:25 am

"The Voice" is not available via Hulu Plus. The easiest and best way to get your local networks' programming is to just get an antenna. With that your wife wll be back watching fat Christina in no time :lol:
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby vnzjunk » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:35 am

I agree. I have an outdoor antenna which works wonderfully fixed mounted even though it is a directional antenna. I just pointed it to the weakest signal I was interested and the rest had enough signal off the rear and sides to render without pixalization.........most of the time. I am blessed to be located in a rural location with (minimal electrical interference) and within reception range in multiple directions. I forget the exact channel and sub channel count but it is up around 30 I would guess. That said he did say that he wanted to stream and view the video pods from NBC which are available on their website and/or other aggregation sites. Whatever his reasons for desiring that, whether it be for time shifting, access to multiple episodes of the same show/series.........ya just can't do that via OTA unless you marry yourself to the tube and then only for future episodes not past. Therefore my suggestionions in my previous post.
stratcat96 wrote:"The Voice" is not available via Hulu Plus. The easiest and best way to get your local networks' programming is to just get an antenna. With that your wife wll be back watching fat Christina in no time :lol:
vnzjunk

Postby vnzjunk » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:39 am

By the way I watch via the original add supported Hulu channel not the pay Hulu+. While I have no problem with the pay version (it does have its perks) I try to limit myself to the number of services/channels that I pay a monthly fee for. My opinion is that it makes little sense (for me) to cut the cord to save $$$ and then go out and subscribe to any and all pay offerings on the Roku. At the end of the day I could theoretically spend more that way than I was when I was tethered to the tv cable. So I try to limit my subscription outlay and get as much bang for my buck as I can from the few that I do subscribe to.

stratcat96 wrote:"The Voice" is not available via Hulu Plus. The easiest and best way to get your local networks' programming is to just get an antenna. With that your wife wll be back watching fat Christina in no time :lol:
vnzjunk

Postby FX4 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:38 am

If you want Hulu on your television there are several ways to get this done. The legal way is to use the Hulu desktop app: http://www.hulu.com/labs/hulu-desktop from there it's just a matter of using your television via an HDMI input as a display. Now there are a few other ways to do this that are kind of in a grey area but several media servers will stream to your Roku and television. Including the one that can't be discussed here. Of course OTA works quite well.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby mommom » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:38 pm

I imagine someone could use that new create your own channel and add podcasts to it and stream with Roku,but it sure seems easier to connect a pc or laptop to the tv.
mommom

Postby vnzjunk » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:17 am

The time came for me to upgrade my desktop computer a few months back. My number 1 priority once the speed/memory/OS requirements were met was a HDMI output connection so that I could run a HDMI cable (vs the RGB cabling for standard def I had been using) to the HDTV screen. Found a great deal on just a machine and am 110% happy with the results. When I can't find something that I am looking for on the Roku, or if their are problems with that particular source I can usually go to plan B and use the computer feed. Someday this will probably all be seamless and once you plug in all of your sources the best one will be chosen and the stream play away. Till that time arrives you mite have to jump through a couple of small hoops......which are becoming smaller and smaller as the days, weeks, months and years pass. Its a process. :D

mommom wrote:I imagine someone could use that new create your own channel and add podcasts to it and stream with Roku,but it sure seems easier to connect a pc or laptop to the tv.
vnzjunk

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion