Original Roku - Universal Remote Codes

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Original Roku - Universal Remote Codes

Postby ghjr » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:14 am

I have one of the original Roku boxes. I lost the remote a few months back, and I've been using my iphone to control the box since. I'm a little tired of having to do that though, so I'd like to use my universal remote instead (it's an IR remote). Does anyone know the 4-digit code I need to pair the universal remote to the box? For some reason, I can't find this information anywhere. When I search these boards for it, I find people talking about expensive universal remotes from Logitech that come with the codes built in, or complicated hex codes, or other things that don't apply to my situtation. I just need a four digit code so I can use my $12 remote with the box.

Thanks.
ghjr

Re: Original Roku - Universal Remote Codes

Postby kc8pql » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:30 am

I don't know the answer to your question, but you can get a replacement Roku remote for $9.95 here:
http://www.roku.com/accessories
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:48 am

ghjr wrote:I have one of the original Roku boxes. I lost the remote a few months back, and I've been using my iphone to control the box since. I'm a little tired of having to do that though, so I'd like to use my universal remote instead (it's an IR remote). Does anyone know the 4-digit code I need to pair the universal remote to the box? For some reason, I can't find this information anywhere. When I search these boards for it, I find people talking about expensive universal remotes from Logitech that come with the codes built in, or complicated hex codes, or other things that don't apply to my situtation. I just need a four digit code so I can use my $12 remote with the box.

Thanks.

There are literally 1000s of "codes" that work on 1000s of different remotes. The codes are specific to the remote and/or manufacturer involved. If Roku is not listed in the manual you received with you remote then, most likely, Roku is not a supported device.

You should contact the remote manufacturer for help about getting your Roku to work with it as it is their codes you need to use.
Gilgamesh

Postby DBDukes » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:56 am

ghjr wrote:I have one of the original Roku boxes. I lost the remote a few months back, and I've been using my iphone to control the box since. I'm a little tired of having to do that though, so I'd like to use my universal remote instead (it's an IR remote). Does anyone know the 4-digit code I need to pair the universal remote to the box? For some reason, I can't find this information anywhere. When I search these boards for it, I find people talking about expensive universal remotes from Logitech that come with the codes built in, or complicated hex codes, or other things that don't apply to my situtation. I just need a four digit code so I can use my $12 remote with the box.

Thanks.

As Gilgamesh said, the Roku code for one remote might not work on another remote. Yours might not support Roku, but until you look up the latest documentation for your specific made and model universal remote, you won't know.

If it doesn't support Roku (and it very well may not), you may be able to find a relatively cheap remote that will. My son bought a universal remote in the $10 - $20 range at Best Buy a few months ago that he uses for his TV and his Roku. I want to say it was a Phillips brand, but I'm not 100% certain. Best Buy, Kmart, Sears, Walmart, or even Family Dollar may have an inexpensive remote that will work. But, like my son did, and like Gilgamesh suggested, look and see if Roku is listed as a supported device.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby ghjr » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:33 pm

Ah, I see. I thought the remote control codes were standard across the industry, and each manufacturer was assigned a code or range of codes. I guess it's a little more complicated than that. Oh well. I'm only out $12 at least. Thanks for the help, and the link to the replacement remote.
ghjr

Postby streetskater » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:50 am

Well,
While it's true that there are thousands of protocols by the major manufacturers like Sony, Panasonic etc., a company like ROKU doesn't normally start off by creating their own.

A forum I belong to hifi-remote.com pretty much does nothing BUT figure out various remote codes and re-programs remotes to be exactly what WE want.

ROKU appears to use a combination of NEC (Nippon) protocols and actually, compared to most, their's is a fairly simply setup---their remotes themselves are simply and use relatively few codes. It's certainly possible to recreate the codes of any ROKU remote but perhaps outside the interest of most folks to do so. So far ROKU is a still a little off the beaten path to be included in the setup of most Universal remotes--and again the fact that they only have half a dozen functions mapped out also doesn't make them a prime candidate.

Using a NEC2** Protocol; Device 224; Sub Device 194 the EFC codes for the Roku 2XS are something like:

Function--EFC
Play/pause--036
Home--087
REV--148
FWD--104

and so on.

BTW: with a little playing around with the 256 possible codes using the above protocol, I was able to find specific codes that will take me directly to a channel like Netflix or Playon.

**NEC being BY FAR one of the most used protocols by many manufacturer beside Nippon.
streetskater

Postby scyber » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:07 am

streetskater wrote:BTW: with a little playing around with the 256 possible codes using the above protocol, I was able to find specific codes that will take me directly to a channel like Netflix or Playon.

Woah, I knew there were specific codes for specific channels (Netflix, Pandora, Crackle,etc), but are you saying it is possible to launch ANY roku channel via IR commands? If so, can you share the details on that? I'd be curious to program in some of my favorite channels into shortcuts on my harmony remote (if possible).
scyber

Postby Nick255 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:17 am

ghjr wrote:Ah, I see. I thought the remote control codes were standard across the industry, and each manufacturer was assigned a code or range of codes. I guess it's a little more complicated than that. Oh well. I'm only out $12 at least. Thanks for the help, and the link to the replacement remote.

It sort of is. The protocols/frequencies are more or less standard but the way they are mapped to actual four digit codes is not which means the code for your Roku could be 1234 on one remote and 1111 on another.
Nick255

Postby elorimer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:08 am

streetskater wrote:

Using a NEC2** Protocol; Device 224; Sub Device 194 the EFC codes for the Roku 2XS are something like:

Function--EFC
Play/pause--036
Home--087
REV--148
FWD--104

and so on.

BTW: with a little playing around with the 256 possible codes using the above protocol, I was able to find specific codes that will take me directly to a channel like Netflix or Playon.

Hello, here I thought I was the lonely JP1er here! Did you find codes for other than Crackle, Pandora and Netflix? They were introduced with the 12 button remote, but I never got around to trying any other OBCs.

Also, and it is a little outside of the interest of the folks here, the Device/Subdevice is 234/194.

To get back on topic, there are still very few universal remotes with the Roku code, and you have to be careful that the remote has the video box code, not the Soundbridge code. If you've lost the original remote getting a replacement plus a learning remote is the easiest way to go, I think.
elorimer

Postby unknown2angels » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:26 pm

I don't know about spendy remotes, but I just bought this one: Sony RMVZ320 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00385XUFQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00. It cost me $11.98, free shipping with Amazon Prime and the code for the Roku was 52371. Works perfectly but my needs are simple.
unknown2angels

Postby Sheariah » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:04 pm

Thank you unknown2angels! I already had that same Sony universal remote. I couldn't find my Roku remote - I think my son took it, because he saw me trying to play Angry Birds last night. He loves games, but he has Down Syndrome & doesn't talk, so he wouldn't tell me. I had wasted too much time searching & was tired & wanting to watch netflix. So I started searching online and found your post. The code 52371 works! Awesome. Thank you for posting that info.
Sheariah

Postby minkalue » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:04 am

unknown2angels wrote:I don't know about spendy remotes, but I just bought this one: Sony RMVZ320 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00385XUFQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00. It cost me $11.98, free shipping with Amazon Prime and the code for the Roku was 52371. Works perfectly but my needs are simple.

this worked for me, too. thank you!!!
minkalue

Postby daldude786 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:04 am

Is this for the current Roku's or the older ones? How can a universal remote work with Roku when they use Bluetooth as opposed to IR?

unknown2angels wrote:I don't know about spendy remotes, but I just bought this one: Sony RMVZ320 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00385XUFQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00. It cost me $11.98, free shipping with Amazon Prime and the code for the Roku was 52371. Works perfectly but my needs are simple.
daldude786

Postby DBDukes » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:58 pm

daldude786 wrote:

Is this for the current Roku's or the older ones? How can a universal remote work with Roku when they use Bluetooth as opposed to IR?

If you're asking of the Roku 2 XS will work with an older remote, the answer is yes. It supports Bluetooth remotes, but the older remotes as well.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby kc8pql » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:32 pm

^ Yes. The R2 XD and XS boxes are both Bluetooth and IR.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion