Stream Windows Media Center to Roku?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Stream Windows Media Center to Roku?

Postby ejbSF » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:11 pm

I recently got the Roku XD box and had no troubles setting it up, connecting to the wireless, etc on my old CRT TV. What I can't figure out is how to stream from Windows 7 Media Player to the TV via Roku. Is this possible? If so, can someone point me to a how-to? And if its not possible, why?

Thanks,
EdB
ejbSF

Re: Stream Windows Media Center to Roku?

Postby mikebdoss » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:15 pm

ejbSF wrote:I recently got the Roku XD box and had no troubles setting it up, connecting to the wireless, etc on my old CRT TV. What I can't figure out is how to stream from Windows 7 Media Player to the TV via Roku. Is this possible? If so, can someone point me to a how-to? And if its not possible, why?

Thanks,
EdB

That's not what the Roku is meant to do. The Roku streams from local or internet sources, but it requires media to be streamed TO it from a server. Media Player doesn't do that.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby snarler » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:44 pm

I set up plex and the corresponding plex channel and it worked for showing my recorded TV.
snarler

Postby ejbSF » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:52 pm

That's not what the Roku is meant to do. The Roku streams from local or internet sources, but it requires media to be streamed TO it from a server. Media Player doesn't do that.

I guess then my real issue's with Media Center, not Roku. Thanks for the replies; I'll try Plex.

EdB
ejbSF

Postby DADEO » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:07 pm

snarler wrote:I set up plex and the corresponding plex channel and it worked for showing my recorded TV.

What do you use to record tv?
DADEO

Postby ejbSF » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:29 pm

DADEO wrote:What do you use to record tv?

Windows Media Center. The computer's at one end of a long apartment, TV's at the other. Wiring isn't practical, so I thought I'd stream it. At the moment I record and then put it on a DVD, walk the DVD to the TV room, and watch it there. Works, but there should be an easier way. Or so I thought.

EdB
ejbSF

Postby dwanthny » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:51 pm

ejbSF wrote:Windows Media Center. The computer's at one end of a long apartment, TV's at the other. Wiring isn't practical, so I thought I'd stream it. At the moment I record and then put it on a DVD, walk the DVD to the TV room, and watch it there. Works, but there should be an easier way. Or so I thought.

If your WMC machine is powerful enough you can use either Plex(free) or Playon(fee) channels to stream your local content to the Roku. I use Playon myself because it is currently more stable, but because of past differences with Roku and other channel providers, discussing Playon in any detail is no longer allowed.

Update: I forgot, if your local media is in a form that the Roku likes you can setup a simple web server on your WMC and use the Roksbox channel to stream your local content to the Roku.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby snarler » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:26 am

DADEO wrote:
snarler wrote:I set up plex and the corresponding plex channel and it worked for showing my recorded TV.

What do you use to record tv?

Sorry I didn't put more info in that post, was in a hurry lol. I use Windows Media Center to record TV from a Hauppauge USB tuner stick. I aimed Plex (or maybe it aimed itself I can't remember) at the folder where WMC records my shows, and Roku's Plex channel saw them and streamed at least one just fine (don't recall how many I tried but I never had a problem with it.) After playing around with Plex some more, I decided I didn't really have much of a use for it beyond that and didn't want to keep it running so I removed it, but it worked, and was a fine program and channel.
snarler

Postby tensen » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:23 am

That is good to hear that the Hauppage recordings work with Plex. I've been considering getting one and wasn't sure if I'd have to go through the process of converting everything afterwards to play on the Roku.
tensen

Postby ejbSF » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:00 am

I use Windows Media Center to record TV from a Hauppauge USB tuner stick. I aimed Plex (or maybe it aimed itself I can't remember) at the folder where WMC records my shows, and Roku's Plex channel saw them and streamed at least one just fine (don't recall how many I tried but I never had a problem with it.

I have a new Hauppauge card in my system (which is also a new Dell i7, plenty powerful). Did you have to do anything special with the recorded files or does plex work with WMC's .wtv format?

Ed
ejbSF

Postby tensen » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:36 am

ejbSF wrote:I have a new Hauppauge card in my system (which is also a new Dell i7, plenty powerful). Did you have to do anything special with the recorded files or does plex work with WMC's .wtv format?

Ed

Just found this via the Plex forum.
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/top ... e-support/

Looks like minor change to the settings to use the .wtv format.
tensen

Postby ejbSF » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:53 am

[/quote]
Just found this via the Plex forum.
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/top ... e-support/

Looks like minor change to the settings to use the .wtv format.[/quote]

Thanks. That thread'll take some digesting, though. I'll report back later.

Ed
ejbSF

Postby snarler » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:15 pm

ejbSF wrote:
I use Windows Media Center to record TV from a Hauppauge USB tuner stick. I aimed Plex (or maybe it aimed itself I can't remember) at the folder where WMC records my shows, and Roku's Plex channel saw them and streamed at least one just fine (don't recall how many I tried but I never had a problem with it.

I have a new Hauppauge card in my system (which is also a new Dell i7, plenty powerful). Did you have to do anything special with the recorded files or does plex work with WMC's .wtv format?

Ed

I don't remember having to do anything at all special. I installed Plex's server (whatever the latest version was like two or three weeks ago max), I may have had to add a folder to where it looks for videos, installed the channel on my Roku and it saw the videos I had recorded. I picked one at random and it started streaming just fine.
snarler

Postby wzwor » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:09 pm

I'd like to bump this for reconsideration. The Simple.TV device can stream live TV to a roku. WMC can stream live tv to an xbox. Why can't WMC stream a tuner to a Roku?
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/
wzwor

Postby scyber » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:12 pm

wzwor wrote:I'd like to bump this for reconsideration. The Simple.TV device can stream live TV to a roku. WMC can stream live tv to an xbox. Why can't WMC stream a tuner to a Roku?

• The WMC extender protocol is not open, so an extender channel could only be built by a company with business dealings with MS to get that info. There are no extenders besides the xbox360 that use the latest extender protocol, so I"m not sure how open MS is with it.
  • The WMC extender protocol uses RDP and RTSP for streaming the WMC UI to the extender. Neither one of these technologies is compatiable with the Roku
  • Native tuner output is MPEG2, which is not supportted by the Roku. Simple.TV works b/c its hardware transcodes the stream in realtime. Not much for hardware specifically designed for it (like the simple.TV), but will require a beefier generic cpu to transcode.
scyber

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion