Roku and PS3?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku and PS3?

Postby edwin444pr » Tue May 01, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi,

I am not very good with technology and I am getting fed up with my cable tv bills. I recently purchased a PS3 and my wife loves watching her tv series and movies in Netflix and Hulu+. I am more of a gamer and sports guy. I was wondering if it is possible to use a PS3 and a Roku device on the same tv. I would like to use the PS3 for gaming and as a blu-ray player and the Roku as the digital tv streamer (Netflix, Hulu+ and any other channels including sports). Please help!

Note: I don't mind plugging the extra $100 into a Roku device.
edwin444pr

Re: Roku and PS3?

Postby RokuShawnS » Tue May 01, 2012 9:25 pm

edwin444pr wrote:Hi,

I am not very good with technology and I am getting fed up with my cable tv bills. I recently purchased a PS3 and my wife loves watching her tv series and movies in Netflix and Hulu+. I am more of a gamer and sports guy. I was wondering if it is possible to use a PS3 and a Roku device on the same tv. I would like to use the PS3 for gaming and as a blu-ray player and the Roku as the digital tv streamer (Netflix, Hulu+ and any other channels including sports). Please help!

I have a PS3 and a Roku (actually, I have two Roku's plugged into the same TV as the PS3). It's just a matter of switching the inputs, depending on what you want to watch/do. FWIW, I also have an AppleTV (my boss forced it on me), and my computer also connected to it, for diagnostics and my son's peculiar video habits (and Daddy's occasional Desmond/Ezio roof-hopping adventures).

In short, if you have the inputs, you're golden :)

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby snarler » Wed May 02, 2012 5:23 am

As an aside, the PS3 does Netflix and Hulu+ as well, so technically you wouldn't need the Roku as you indicated they'd both be on the same TV so you couldn't use them at the same time anyway.
snarler

Postby RoyalsRetro » Wed May 02, 2012 6:29 am

I have a PS3, and I use it to stream on the downstairs TV and a Roku for the upstairs TV. You can even buy a remote control for the PS3 that has fast forward and rewind so you don't have to use the gaming controller. If you only have one TV, I'd just keep the PS3 and skip the Roku. The only thing Roku gets you that PS3 doesn't is the extra channels. You can get Hulu, Netflix and Amazon streaming on PS3 just fine as well as MLB TV. Not sure about Plex.
RoyalsRetro

Postby Buckeye911 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:22 am

edwin444pr wrote:Hi,

It's no problem at all. I have a PS3, Roku and LG streaming blu-ray player all connected to my plasma in the living room, it's just a matter of switching inputs. If you want to cut cable be sure to get an antenna for your TV so you can still watch your local broadcast TV channels, you will not be able to view them through the Roku.
Buckeye911

Postby FX4 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:43 am

Along with the others, I have a Roku, PS3, ATV, & HTPC all connected to the same TV in my family room.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby snarler » Fri May 04, 2012 7:52 am

lol yeah, at some point I had the following all hooked up to one TV at the same time...

DVD changer, Bluray player, VCR, VTech Education game system, Wii, TiVo, a PC, and a Roku.
snarler

Postby daz1138 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:34 am

I have a PS3, Roku, PC, and 2 Tivos connected to my TV. I use my receiver to swtich between devices but before I had that receiver I used the different inputs on the TV.

I use the Roku for most of my streaming, and the PC for streaming not available on the Roku.
Roku2 XS S/N: 13A16D000341
Audio: Yamaha RX-V567 via HDMI
Video: Westinghouse SK-32h520s via HDMI
Network: Wireless N
Router: Netgear WNDR3400 v2
TimeZone: Mountain
daz1138

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri May 04, 2012 8:37 am

At one time I had two Rokus,two VCRs, a WDLive plus, a VuNow pod, a 400 disk DVD changer, a DVD recorder, and two computers all hooked to a TV with one HD input and one SD input, using remote controlled switches of course.

The number of devices you can have connected to a TV is only limited by your imagination and your tolerance for complexity.
Gilgamesh

Postby FX4 » Sat May 05, 2012 12:46 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:The number of devices you can have connected to a TV is only limited by your imagination and your tolerance for complexity.

Isn't that the truth! I have spent more time lately writing scripts for XBMC than I have watching television.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion