HDMI doesn't work with my Sharp LCD tv 2008 vintage

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

HDMI doesn't work with my Sharp LCD tv 2008 vintage

Postby mdibona » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi guys,

My HDMI doesn't work on Sharp LCD tv from about 2008. My apple tv does. And my Roku player works at the store plugged into some of the nice, 60 inch Sharp tv's there at Best Buy. This is actually a replacement unit from Best Buy (a new one) as the first unit ( a new one also) demonstrated this problem also. Tech support at Roku is useless. Any ideas on how to make the HDMI work? Of course, the R/W/Y connectors work but who wants that when there is HDMI !!

Mike
mdibona

Re: HDMI doesn't work with my Sharp LCD tv 2008 vintage

Postby mdibona » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:10 pm

To clarify, the HDMI output doesn't work on my ROKU 2 XS when connected to my sharp tv. The HDMI connection works on the tv with my apple tv, however.

Thanks,
Mike
mdibona

Postby atheling » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:54 pm

Got a model number on that Sharp TV? I've been running okay with an older (2006 or so) vintage Sharp Aquos which works okay with the Roku 2 XS. On the other hand, I've always run it through a AVR on the way to the TV...
atheling

Postby haroldskilley » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:41 pm

I had this same problem with a 2008ish Sharp TV as well. It appears the Roku2 isn't compatible.
haroldskilley

Postby dakra » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:41 pm

I'm just tossing this out there as a non-expert.

I had a similar issue with a samsung, there was something in the TV setting that was messing it up. I ended up resetting all the settings on the TV. It worked.
dakra

Postby mdibona » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:55 pm

The model is Sharp LC-24DV24U.
Thanks,
Mike
mdibona

Postby mdibona » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:56 pm

dakra wrote:I'm just tossing this out there as a non-expert.

I had a similar issue with a samsung, there was something in the TV setting that was messing it up. I ended up resetting all the settings on the TV. It worked.

I'll look into that and try it. Thanks for the advice.
Mike
mdibona

Postby mdibona » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:32 pm

Ok, here's what I'm doing. Just ordered this hdmi to component video (5 plug) converter from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-componen ... 902&sr=1-1
I have an unused component input which I know works because I had been running comcast cable thru it. I'll report back Friday after I receive it.

Thanks,
Mike
mdibona

Postby mdibona » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:49 am

Hi everyone,

I received the converter unit mentioned above, last night and hooked it up. Very easy. HDMi from Roku 2 to converter box. 5 way component wires from converter box to Sharp TV. All is well. Looks like 720p output to me. Much better than the Roku supplied 3 way RCA for sure. Other than the bright orange led light on converter box which faces you in your viewing position on an oped component rack or such, (conveniently covered up with black electrical tape now) the unit is excellent in design and execution, all metal and roku sized or so, those of you with similar issues should try this if you've got component inputs to work with on the tv if your HDMI port won't function like mine. Anyway, I'm thinking of giving this work around to Roku in order to collect royalties from the solution consulting long term :)

Mike
mdibona

Postby FX4 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:00 am

I have not tried it yet and we do have a Sharp television that has HDMI issues but I read that using an HDMI cable longer than four feet often solves HDMI compatibility issues. Timing problems?
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby socantra » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:05 am

mdibona wrote:.....................I'm thinking of giving this work around to Roku in order to collect royalties from the solution consulting long term :)

I think you just did, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the royalty check. :)

Seriously, it's nice to have reports of one of the HDMI to component converters that actually works. I've heard mixed reports about some of them.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby sanitychek » Wed May 02, 2012 11:23 pm

OK, so I am just reviewing this problem Mike has had and i have the same problem. sharp tv from 2008 model LC-32DV24U. Roku chat support was really no help, just left me with the idea that there was a setting on my tv that i probably hadn't set up properly via the Sharp menu settings. Not the case. I have been using this roku for about a month and really like it, although i am using it via RCA mode. Gave up on the hdmi cabel after trying a couple different ones. I have read thru all the above and i guess the part i am still stuck on is why the hdmi cabel doesn't work? why do i need to go out and buy a converter? I have to go and see if i can even plug in a five plug component cabel into my tv. my comcast is running that way and am not sure if there is a second set. ultimately my goal is not to spend more than what i spend on this roku box. did anyone call Sharp? Also, did you have to therefor buy a five plug component cable and how much do those cost?
sanitychek

Postby Alfmeister » Fri May 04, 2012 5:13 am

Everything you ever wanted to know about HDMI cables (and why they suck.)
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/hdmi-cables.htm

You might try ordering one of the Belden cables from them just to make certain it isn't an HDCP cable issue.
Alfmeister

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion